8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » A Cautionary Tale (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: A Cautionary Tale
Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 24, 2008 04:09 AM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the early hours of this morning (Christmas Eve) fire took hold of our house, thanks to the promptness and efficiency of the Fire Brigade it was brought under control very quickly and, whilst several of the rooms on the ground floor have been gutted, the remainder of the house has ‘only’ suffered the effects of smoke damage.

Most importantly though we are all still alive, this I have no doubt is due to the fact that we have interlinked smoke and heat detectors in the house; had we not had the early warning of the alarms going off we wouldn’t have been woken nor called the fire brigade and would almost certainly have died in our beds.

I’m telling this tale to all my friends and the people I know because it has brought home to me the importance of having smoke detectors in your home. If you haven’t got them get them now!

It’s going to be a very strange Christmas, but at least we’re alive...

Mike

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

|  IP: Logged

Mark Williams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 24, 2008 04:59 AM      Profile for Mark Williams   Email Mark Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi-Mike,

I,m really sorry to hear about your bad news,glad to hear you are both ok.

Kind regards Mark W

Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 24, 2008 06:22 AM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Mike, sorry to hear of your sad misfortune.

It would have been bad enough at anytime, but at this time of the year it must seem ten times worse. As you say, the overiding factor is, that you are all safe.

Try and have as good a Christmas as the circumstances will allow and rest assured, that all of us will be thinking of you and wishing you a speedy recovery to "normality".

All the best to you and your family Mike. Keep safe.
Keith

--------------------
"We'll find 'em in the end, I promise you. We'll find 'em. Just as sure as a turnin' of the earth".

Craig Hamilton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 24, 2008 06:28 AM      Profile for Craig Hamilton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike, sorry to hear your bad news! At least you are safe that is the main thing.
Hope you did not loose too much cine equipment during your ordeal.

Wishing you the very best for Christmas and hopefully a happy new year.

Craig

--------------------
I dream of becoming a dealer!!!!!!
Is Perry's Movies for Sale.

Christopher P Quinn
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 24, 2008 07:09 AM      Profile for Christopher P Quinn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike, Sorry to hear about the fire, so glad though that you and Dean are both safe. Im sure your family's are rallying round you both and you will have the best Christmas. As you said both alive and well, that's the main thing.

Chris.

--------------------
Chris Quinn Rides again.

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted December 24, 2008 07:13 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry to hear about that Mike.

Glad you're all safe.

-Mike

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted December 24, 2008 08:27 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike, glad to know you're safe.
Have a merry strange Christmas...

[Wink]

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 24, 2008 09:35 AM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike,

This is terrible news, but as you say, everyone is ok, which is the most important. I hope you'll get back to normal soon, and that 2009 will bring far better things.

Claus.

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted December 24, 2008 11:27 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very sorry to read about your house fire Mike. Glad to hear that you are not hurt, and hoping that your films and equipment survived OK.
It will take a while for you to get back on your feet, but anyone who has the courage to hitch-hike around the World can surely handle this situation. Good luck Mike, and try to enjoy Christmas as best you can.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted December 24, 2008 12:12 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I offer my condolences as well Mike. Very good to hear that you and your family are safe!

Our thoughts and prayers are with you!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted December 24, 2008 02:51 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Take care my friend. Looks like the spirit of Christams was looking after you. [Smile]

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 24, 2008 04:57 PM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just got done delivering mail in an ice storm here in "Merry" northeast Pa. A very weird Christmas Eve indeed! Glad you're safe Mike, hang in there! [Smile]

--------------------
Joe Taffis

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted December 25, 2008 12:26 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike
Very sorry to read what has happened the main thing is that everyone is OK. Regarding smoke detectors they are a must, this was tragically highlighted last month as the fire station where we held our convention had about that time had a call out to a nearby house fire, a young 7 year old boy had become trapped in a upstairs bedroom although the fire brigade were on the scene within minutes and did there best to save him, it was to late he died at the scene, a tragedy for the family and also very upsetting for the fire service personel who were involved. There was no smoke detector in the house and its something the fire service have been doing their best for years to get the message across "that its a must", for only the cost of around $10 it can save lives.

Graham.

Trevor Adams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 25, 2008 10:55 PM      Profile for Trevor Adams   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A nasty surprise for xmas Mike!Thinking of you,regards,Trev

--------------------
Trevor

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted December 26, 2008 01:48 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry to hear about your troubles Mike, but glad everybody got out OK.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted December 26, 2008 07:15 PM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike,
Very sorry to hear about what happened but thank god you and your loved ones are safe! Someone is looking over your shoulder...

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 26, 2008 10:18 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike, best wishes to you and family.
Here's to a better 2009.

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

Paul Spinks
Master Film Handler

- posted December 27, 2008 08:06 AM      Profile for Paul Spinks   Email Paul Spinks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There was a fire in one of the apartments in our block a few years ago. I called the fire brigade who quickly put the fire out. The fire was contained in the apartment and thankfully nobody was hurt as the occupiers were away, but the smoke and water damage was horrendous. There was black sticky residue all over the hallways for two floors and the smell was awful. It will take a while to get your property repaired by the insurance company and will be a huge inconvenience, but you are both unhurt and that is the main thing. Your guardian angels were certainly looking after you.
I hope that things get back to normal for you vey soon and wish you all the very best for 2009.

Paul.

David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 27, 2008 09:21 PM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike, it is incidents like this that make us realise how prescious human life is above all material possesions. Despite your material loss, nothing compares to your health. Best wishes for the festive season and I bet you are thanking your lucky stars for the smoke detectors.

David

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 29, 2008 06:11 AM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Everyone

Many thanks for all the messages of support we’ve received on here and via personal message, emails and telephone calls – they are all very much appreciated!

A quick update;

Firstly, no cine films or equipment were harmed! The fire was contained mostly to the ground floor and as most of my cine equipment is kept on the first floor it was well out of the way. The only exception being that I have a GS 1200 and a Sankyo 800 in a cupboard in the downstairs hallway that came close to being burnt, the fire managed to scald the inside of the cupboard, but, whilst I haven’t tried either machine, they appear to have survived unscathed.

Secondly – and this was the purpose of the initial message on this post – thank goodness for fire alarms! There were five of us in the house when the fire broke out and all five escaped in good time, plus of course we managed to ring the fire brigade before we were even sure there was a fire!

It was terrifying to see it take hold, one minute there was the vaguest smell and the next there were flames from floor to ceiling and the sound of cracking and splintering wood. It was a truly surreal experience to see and hear all this in our own home when we all know these things only happen to other people.

The fire brigade arrived within five minutes of being called and were fantastic, they worked in a highly organised and efficient way, even finding time to check our well-being and offer us blankets and words of comfort.

The fire appears to have started in the electrical consumer unit (or fuse board), we shall never know the exact cause as there is nothing left of it, but it is clear that is was not on account of anything being left on or a faulty appliance. Ironically, the consumer unit was replaced (for safety reasons) less than five years ago by the same electrician who installed the smoke detectors, I still have the Certificate of Electrical Safety that was issued at the time!

The insurance company have been great and despite it being Christmas they have already sent the cleaning firm round to assess what can be cleaned and saved. Cleaning and rebuilding is due to begin next week and in the mean time we are able to use the parts of the house not effected by the fire – where there is only the soot and smell of smoke to deal with.

So, once again many thanks for all the messages of support, we’re all fine and we shall be entering 2009 thankful to be alive and in the knowledge that things could have been a lot worse!

Mike [Cool]

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 29, 2008 07:31 AM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's great to have your update Mike. Things like this certainly bring life into perspective. It's nice to have all the material things we desire but they are of little use if your not around to enjoy them. Plus, they can be replaced - life cannot.
I really hope that 2009 starts, and remains, better than 2008 has ended.
Have a happy, safe, and as prosperous a New Year as the present economic climate allows.
Hope to see you at Ealing in May.
Keith

--------------------
"We'll find 'em in the end, I promise you. We'll find 'em. Just as sure as a turnin' of the earth".

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 30, 2008 03:18 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In your honour Mike we had a Christmas Eve screening of 'The Towering Inferno'. [Big Grin]

Glad to hear things are being straightened out already and that the priceless film collection was untouched.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Gary Brocklehurst
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 31, 2008 03:35 AM      Profile for Gary Brocklehurst   Email Gary Brocklehurst   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Mike

I have just read your initial post and would like to add my support at this difficult time

With all best wishes to you both for a healthy and peaceful 2009

Kindest Regards

Gary, Derann Film Services Ltd

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted December 31, 2008 08:34 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Blimy Mike, Ive only just read your post [Embarrassed]
Very sorry to hear of this, thank goodness you have the smoke alarms, i do have them but as you correctly say, any one who hasnt get them, NOW

All the best to you Mike,
Tom Plymouth

peter booth
Master Film Handler

- posted December 31, 2008 08:59 AM      Profile for peter booth   Email peter booth       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Mike,
Sorry to read this dreadful post,and very pleased that things did'nt turn out any worse.
Smoke alarms are worth every penny,we do curse them time to time when a sider or fly sets them off,but its a nice feeling to have them up on the ceiling ready to warn us of imminent danger.
All best wishes for 2009,Warmest regards,Peter.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC