8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Higher than normal prices

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Higher than normal prices
Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted January 24, 2009 06:59 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it just me or are projectors (particularly 16mm) selling for higher than usual prices lately??
An Eiki ST-1 for £183? Also some others lately which I've noticed.

-Mike

|  IP: Logged

Barry Johnson
Master Film Handler

- posted January 24, 2009 09:23 AM      Profile for Barry Johnson   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes,I think you are right.It seems nothing is escaping from making a quick few quid these days and there are people out there ready and willing to exploit it.
Once these 'get rich quick' sellers realise the proper value of film equipment,the better it will be for the market.One thing comes to mind and that is the extortionate prices of Elmo machines,particularly the GS series,there is no way they are worth that kind of money these days.
Rant over. [Mad]

--------------------
Standard8 rules!!

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted January 24, 2009 12:18 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well its not really the sellers fault - someone is willing to pay £183 for an ST-1. Thats what amazes me. These must be newcomers to the hobby I guess, so maybe we should be thankful [Smile] It'll be interesting to watch sales over the next while. Perhaps these were just flukes.

-Mike

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 24, 2009 02:54 PM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think its really down to if the buyer is willing to pay that price then from a sellers point of view then why not. It has to be remembered that Cine has never been a cheap hobby even in its heyday. And that projector that sold for £183 may have been in absoulate mint condition like new. I myself would pay a reansolable bit more for equipment in mint condition.

At the end of the day we all like getting the best price we can for our loved cine equipment and films. And members of this forum who place adverts are certaintly not giving away bargains.

Graham S

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted January 25, 2009 03:10 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think I may have been misinterpreted.
If I were the seller I would be more than pleased with £183 for my ST-1, even in excellent condition.
I just wondered who would bid up to this amount for a projector that IMO is worth no more than £100.

-Mike

Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 25, 2009 03:18 AM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think this has been discussed before. Things are worth what people are prepared to pay for them. No one holds a gun to our heads - if it is something you want, you'll pay it.

As for the worth of the Elmo GS, again it's all down to preferences, desires etc.

If we all had the same "market values", we would all shop at the "pound (or dime!) shop and what a boring world it would be.

--------------------
"We'll find 'em in the end, I promise you. We'll find 'em. Just as sure as a turnin' of the earth".

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 26, 2009 07:39 PM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

[ January 27, 2009, 12:14 AM: Message edited by: Rob Young. ]

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC