8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » The Best Of The Sixties

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Best Of The Sixties
Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted January 24, 2009 09:42 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember watching this 1964 film "Zulu" when it first came out at the cinema "showing my age here" I was 12 or 13 at the time even though "Zulu" is now 45 years old, it still comes across as a well made film. I think it was the first film Michael Caine was in "I could be wrong though" and Stanley Baker as Lt John Chard the commanding officer of Rorkes Drift. Filmed mainly in South Africa it has some stunning scenery and superb music by John Barry who also did the Oscar winning music Dances with Wolves in 1990. Its interesting to note that the Zulu warriors in the film were the desendants from the original battle. Last night we watched it on my old Sanyo PLV-Z1 now six years old and still going strong
 -
Picture is about 9ft wide, do you favourite film from the 60s? I understand "Zulu" is out in Blu-ray anyone got a copy?

Graham. [Smile]

|  IP: Logged

Patrick Walsh
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 24, 2009 10:43 PM      Profile for Patrick Walsh   Email Patrick Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Best 60s films for me DALEKS INVASION EARTH 2150AD and BATMAN THE MOVIE both to epics!
Pat [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Raise The Titanic!", It would of been cheaper to lower the Atlantic!

Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 25, 2009 03:33 AM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have to agree with Graham, on Zulu, with a slightly bigger bias towards "The Alamo" (only just! - a big Wayne fan you see).

--------------------
"We'll find 'em in the end, I promise you. We'll find 'em. Just as sure as a turnin' of the earth".

Paul Tivy
Film Handler

- posted January 26, 2009 05:40 AM      Profile for Paul Tivy   Email Paul Tivy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have the Zulu blu ray and watching it on my 5ft screen (tiny front room you see) via my new Optoma Themescene HD80 projector is a truly stunning experience.

Best wishes,

Tiv

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted January 26, 2009 12:27 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember this film being one of the best action films of the sixties. That whole last hour was non-stop and I persoanlly think it set the bar rather high for action films, Britan and abroad.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted January 26, 2009 07:34 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One thing I liked about "Zulu" was that the film never came across that there was a good or bad, right or wrong, with both the British or the Zulu people, also I think [Roll Eyes] the short spears that were used in the film were actually real.

Paul..I can see me going Blu-ray very soon, wont be able to resist it when this title hits the shelf [Smile]

Looking through my old records from the 70s [Roll Eyes] "The Music Of John Barry" double album has a lot of his music from James Bond, Born Free, King Rat etc, not sure if its out on CD, well worth getting if it is and its still available.

Graham.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC