8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » German Model Train Maker Märklin Goes Bankrupt (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: German Model Train Maker Märklin Goes Bankrupt
John W. Black
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 03, 2009 08:45 PM      Profile for John W. Black   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kent Easrin,owner of Blackhawk,was a huge train buff.Many of the BH railroad films,he filmed himself

--------------------
Beat em or burn em,they go up pretty quick

|  IP: Logged

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted September 03, 2009 11:31 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Steve for sharing your film its very good.

Graham.

Joerg Polzfusz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 04, 2009 03:22 AM      Profile for Joerg Polzfusz   Author's Homepage   Email Joerg Polzfusz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The first motion picture that was shown to a theatrical audience was "Arrival of a Train at La Ciotat" by the Lumiere Brothers in 1895:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dgLEDdFddk

well, there's even a "John Woo remake" of that film:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ntyt87C1RZM&NR=1

[Big Grin]

quote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7d1vGxZRFH8
Great! Is it a "self-made" transfer?

Jörg

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted September 04, 2009 06:21 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks!,

This transfer was done at home using my (Eumig)Bolex SP-80 so I could adjust out the flicker. I did it using just a corner of my matte projection screen and had my camcorder next to the projector on a tripod.

I'm a member of the railroad museum where this was filmed (It's 350 miles away, I don't get there very often.). When I sent the link to their discussion forum I found out the other members had been passing it around by E-mail for months.

http://www.wwfry.org/

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Joerg Polzfusz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 04, 2009 08:29 AM      Profile for Joerg Polzfusz   Author's Homepage   Email Joerg Polzfusz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Steve,

does your museum also gets mentioned in the October-issue of "trains"?
http://www.trains.com/trn/default.aspx?c=ci&id=2

After having watched your film again, I'm still amazed by the different camera-angles: I kind of doubt that the shots have been made on a single day - unless the train stopped/drove back to satisfy your needs.

Jörg

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted September 04, 2009 09:07 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I believe it was featured in Trains last year. I missed reading that article.

The film was shot on a single day. At the time the line was only a little more than a mile long so the trains were running on about a half-hourly basis. So I rode the train with my wife and filmed from the train. She then waited patiently (more or less) down at the station while I hiked back up the line and waited at nice locations for the train to pass me and my camera. A couple of guys were riding a track car and they asked if I'd like a ride. This is how I got the moving shots showing only the track. The rest is all editing and title work.

This line was completely scrapped in the 1930s. It has been restored to over two miles of track and a lot of nice equipment in about 20 years starting with nothing but a good idea.

--------------------

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 07, 2009 12:26 AM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve,

A phenomenal film.
Great job.
I admire your patience and it was worth the effort.
Thanks for sharing.

Was the film transfer difficult to create? Did you need a specially equipped
shutter, or did you adjust the speed on the projector to eliminate the flicker?

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted September 07, 2009 07:25 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Michael,

Most of the patience was with my wife: at the start of my second cartridge she decided she wanted us to leave! I said "I'm making a film here!" She said "Can't you make it a shorter film?" We compromised: I finished my film and I took her for lobster before we went home! (Not a bad compromise: I love lobster!)

The only tricky part of the transfer was completely eliminating the flicker.

The projector I used is just an ordinary 800 series Eumig pretending it's a "Bolex". The continuously variable projection speed allowed me to fine tune the speed until the flicker went away.

I finished up the transfer around 11:00PM, put away all the stuff, went upstairs and plugged my camcorder into a monitor and ran the tape. There was a very, very slow flicker, maybe 10 seconds from dark to dark. I thought "Nobody will notice.”. Then I thought "I noticed.”. So I went back downstairs, set it all up again and re-did it!

-at 1:00AM, I was finally happy with it and went to bed!

Every transfer I've done since then I started at a saner hour and left the stuff set up until I was happy with the results.

(Still less stressfull than shooting titles!)

--------------------

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC