8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » The Digital World

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Digital World
Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted February 06, 2009 03:27 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The other night at the cinema I was talking to our young projectionist who is back at school still 15 yrs old and that he was taking a photographic course, I asked what type of digital camera, thinking they were all high-tech or something, to my surprise he said it was film and were using a SLR camera. They are being taught how to use and develop film. I mentioned that he could have my old spare Canon FTB never used it and that it was a bit rough and needed a clean but still works. Its nice to hear that film is still being used in schools in this age.

Last week I transfered some digital photos to DVD and projected them through a VP as a slide programme and thought they did not look to bad, later I ran some old 35mm slides from years ago, what a difference the digital did not look good in comparison downright awful.

One of the things I did not like with this digital camera was that it does not like movement and I would often get a blurry picture, something I never got with my old Canon FTB.

Well here are a couple of photos, some from old slides taken from the screen, they still look good after all those years I guess its time to buy some more slide film [Smile]
 -
My son Steven and his friend Daniel running into other river users, they did not seem to have a lot of control [Roll Eyes] no blurry picture here.
 -
still dangerous...I mostly used Kodak slide film, this is the River Avon it flows through the centre of the city taken about 10 years ago, we still have slide evenings.
 -
The kids when they were very young I bought the Canon FTB second hand back in 1989 for $150 best thing I ever bought.
 -
This is my spare camera, just needs a good clean, the lens is fine it will be interesting to see the results, Canon cameras always had good lenses same with Super8.

Graham.

|  IP: Logged

Lars Pettersson
Master Film Handler

- posted February 06, 2009 11:12 AM      Profile for Lars Pettersson   Email Lars Pettersson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree. Canon make excellent lenses, the Canon 1014 E and 1014 XLS super8 cameras yield really super images, compares very favorably with the best of Beaulieu, if you ask me.

Cheers,
Lars

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted February 08, 2009 01:33 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -
Nice bit of advertising here [Smile]

The Canon 512XLE, bought it in the late 70s the camera works very well in low light. Years ago I went into the city centre late one night after a heavy rainfall "get the reflections of the streets" and used a roll of Ektachrome 160 the results were very good. I have taken quite a bit of film with it over the years and the results have always been good, its also a nice camera to handle. The Canon 1014 was the camera that is rare out here "I liked the idea of the backwind facility" and if one does come up for sale it still fetches a good price.

Graham.

Lars Pettersson
Master Film Handler

- posted February 08, 2009 02:26 PM      Profile for Lars Pettersson   Email Lars Pettersson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Graham,

Buy yours from this man, very trustworthy in my experience

http://www.super8film.at/

I bought a 1014 in near mint shape from him a couple years back, not expensive, either.

Cheers,
Lars

Knut Nordahl
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 09, 2009 01:58 AM      Profile for Knut Nordahl   Email Knut Nordahl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Slides have always rocked if you ask me. Maybe the fact that you don't see them too often and the size and ambiance of the pictures projected have something to do with that.

The canons are great machines. I got a pristine 1014 E for 40 euros some time ago. Now I have a 814 E, and some parts from a 814E that actually was dead when I bought it (hard to beleieve!) But the good news was that it gave me an extra gate to play with and to file to a 16:9 gate. Sweet.

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted February 09, 2009 07:59 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Lars
I checked the web-site and at present he has a Canon 1014 for sale looks in very good condition. I worked out the conversion rate for the NZ dollar came to about $750. I talked it over to my wife, you can guess her reaction [Eek!] however for anyone out there looking for a good Super8 camera and is serious about filmmaking it looks a good buy.

Today I picked up a roll of slide film after processing and was talking to the salesman. They wont stock Kodak slide film anymore due to the fact they have to buy it in bulk and there is not enough demand for it to justify stocking it. However I will try out some Fujichrome Provia.

While I was looking around the shop I asked the salesman do you ever stock any film cameras [Roll Eyes] the answer was a definate no, he mentioned about a large school were the photographic teacher will not entertain any digital only film this comment made me [Smile] I suggested prehaps he should re-think about getting some film cameras in, I quickly concluded its people like me those salesman dont like [Wink]

Graham.

PS. Does the Canon 1014 work fine with Ektachrome 64T?

Patrick Walsh
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 11, 2009 01:04 AM      Profile for Patrick Walsh   Email Patrick Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have been trying to buy a 35mm camera for a while now brand new and the shops are not stocking them, they have gone for quantity not quality in this day and age [Frown]
Pat

--------------------
"Raise The Titanic!", It would of been cheaper to lower the Atlantic!

Knut Nordahl
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 11, 2009 01:34 AM      Profile for Knut Nordahl   Email Knut Nordahl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
PS. Does the Canon 1014 work fine with Ektachrome 64T?
Yes it does.

Patrick Walsh wrote

quote:
I have been trying to buy a 35mm camera for a while now brand new and the shops are not stocking them
But the good news is that with every git getting into digital these days and getting rid of their "analog" equipment, it's easy to get great old secondhand SLRs for next to nothing. Forget shops. Pretty soon you'll be able to get dirt-cheap DSLR's when the same gits unload their "old" dSLR cameras wich only have like a 12 mp-chip and the next big thing is a 24 cmos or what ever and they gotta have it. Idiots. [Wink]

Patrick Walsh
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 11, 2009 01:57 AM      Profile for Patrick Walsh   Email Patrick Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Knut
yes I will get a used one, just been on the net looking and there is a plenty!
Pat

--------------------
"Raise The Titanic!", It would of been cheaper to lower the Atlantic!

Lars Pettersson
Master Film Handler

- posted February 11, 2009 02:13 AM      Profile for Lars Pettersson   Email Lars Pettersson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Graham, if you´re on a tight budget but still want the Canon quality, buy a 814, they´re frequently half the price and optically/mechanically should be nigh indistinguishable from the 1014.
Or for great filmmaking fun, try the Canon 310 XL, with an f1,0 lens! Will get you pictures anywhere anytime. Weighs nothing and therefore is always welcome when you´re on the move (as opposed to the near 2 kg 1014s [Frown] ). Focus can be a problem, but can be lived with. Also the 310 can´t read 64 ISO correctly, but this can also be handled (it´s too nice a camera to pass up on just because of this). [Wink]

Cheers
Lars

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted February 18, 2009 04:49 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Lars
Last weekend I was in a auction for a Canon 814 on our local internet trade-me site but just lost out on the last couple of minutes, however I have still got my Canon 512 and will be using it very soon. One thing I did manage to get last weekend was a mint condition Canon FTB. it was strange that when I gave away my spare camera I had just recieved a roll of film back from getting developed and noticed slight over exposure on one side, only on a few photos, [Eek!] hence the purchase of another Canon FTB. [Smile] It will be interesting to see the results from the film thats being used and developed on the school project. I would imagine with a camera like the FTB that they should be good.

Regards Graham.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC