8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Australia

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Australia
Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted February 19, 2009 05:11 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just got home from the movies and really enjoyed "Australia" we got this print a few weeks ago and on the first Saturday screening 7.30pm we were very close to being sold out. [Eek!] Compared number wise "Australia" has done very well in fact has left new films like Valkyrie miles behind. The photography is stunning really suits the Scope image excellent picture and digital sound, good acting in particular the young boy. I can see us keeping this print for quite a while the feedback from our customers has been very positive and after watching it tonight I can see why.

Graham.

|  IP: Logged

Patrick Walsh
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 19, 2009 10:41 PM      Profile for Patrick Walsh   Email Patrick Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got a full house here now for "AUSSIE" also running an intermission so the patrons buy up large at the nibble nook! [Big Grin]
It is a very good film and the people's reaction here has been very good, I had to turn away 20 people the other night!
Pat [Smile]

--------------------
"Raise The Titanic!", It would of been cheaper to lower the Atlantic!

David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 20, 2009 10:25 PM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It has been one of the biggest grossing Australian films of all time here. Almost everyone that we ran it to loved it. It looked great in scope on our massive drive-in screens....with Australian gum trees flanking on each side and the Australian sky overhead!

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted February 21, 2009 01:23 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looking through the "Oscar" nominations I was surprised that with "Australia" I can only find, is only up for Costume Design. [Roll Eyes] looking at the line up of nominations "Australia" should be nominated for a lot more than that, as mentioned the photography is really something. In one scene where the cattle stampede towards the edge of the gorge and stopped from going over the edge by the young Aboriginal boy "Nullah" was very well done, Nallah played by Brandon Walters also narrate's the film. Its interesting that some of the "Oscar" nomination did not do that well out here and that a film like "Australia" which had been put down by many so called critics has been a real hit with the public, it makes me wonder what the "Bafta and Oscars" are all about? [Roll Eyes]

Graham.

David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 23, 2009 06:20 AM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
True Graham........and how about Gran Torino? Eastwood's best film ever, both acted and directed (and boxoffice). It should have been nominated for best supporting actress too.

How was it over-looked?

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted February 23, 2009 05:51 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi David

Regarding "Gran Torino" I agree, this film came across well in many ways the story of a young person not wanting to get involved in gangs, its a movie I think most teenagers should watch. The final scene of Clint was well done, he did not seek revenge with guns blazing a well acted movie that had a strong message.

Graham.

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 14, 2009 08:35 AM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw this film last night on DVD, I think it’s fair to say this is one of those films that should be seen at the cinema or at least on a very big screen. I’m sure if I had of done I would have found it far more enjoyable, as it was I thought it was very disappointing.

On three separate occasions I thought it had finished and was expecting the credits to start running, and then a whole new story line started off. After the third time it happened I got up to make a drink and left the film running, spending a little longer in the kitchen than I needed to in order to get more of the film out of the way before I had to start watching it again – I like to see a film to the end.

I generally enjoy Australian films, but this one didn’t seem to fully capture the grittiness of the Out Back. I didn’t see the flies nor get the feeling of the oppressive heat - nor hear the characteristic birdcalls and sounds that one associates with this atmospheric landscape. It just wasn’t believable. Maybe that is why it did less well outside of Australia than it did on home shores?

The most impressive film of this type that I have seen was John Hillcoats “The Proposition” (2005) this I have watched several times since its release – the first time in the Cinema in Alice Springs. Each subsequent viewing has brought back the sense of being there…

Can’t like them all I suppose!

Mike [Cool]

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC