8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Collect other things? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Collect other things?
Patrick Walsh
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 05, 2009 08:36 PM      Profile for Patrick Walsh   Email Patrick Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Interested in what other people's hobbies are other than films.
I am as well as a collector of super 8, 16mm and 35mm films etc a collector or Dr Who Dalek toys especially the ones from the 60s and 70s. [Big Grin]
Another interest I have is model railways.
Patrick [Wink]

--------------------
"Raise The Titanic!", It would of been cheaper to lower the Atlantic!

|  IP: Logged

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted March 05, 2009 08:57 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are quite a few Model Railroaders around here including myself. It's kind of natural given the historic relationship between cinema and railroading.

I'd guess about a third of the titles in my collection are either railroad films or stories with railroads in them (like The Titfield Thunderbolt or The Great Train Robbery)

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted March 05, 2009 11:13 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Beside Model Railway, the other related hobbies with 8mm is Records/Vinyls.

I myself am collecting those hobbies (8mm, Model Train, Vinyls)

reagrds,

--------------------
Winbert

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted March 05, 2009 11:17 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Autographs and animation art.

I lucked into katherine Hepburns autograph (on her own stationary no less, there's a story behind that, as she didn't do autographs)
James Stewart's and Tim Conway's, among others.

My prized animation possession is a series of handwritten letters from Chuck Jones, as well as some original pencil sketches he did of Bug's Bunny ect. I have the pleasure of getting to know him as a young man, and we cooresponded for a good while, (up until around the time of "Roger Rabbit"). This was before everyone really caught onto him and after that, it was incredibly hard to keep in touch.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 05, 2009 11:49 PM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am definitely deep into the film/projector collecting with 9.5 being my favorite (I also have a small collection of obscure film format fragments). I also have a fondness for silent film ephemera and have thousands of newspaper clippings from the teens and twenties and finally live recordings of 70's punk rock bands of which I have close to 3000.

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

Antonis Galanakis
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 06, 2009 01:19 AM      Profile for Antonis Galanakis   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I love and collect vintage electronics, Jukeboxes, portable record players, 45 (7') records, unsusual electronic and electrical stuff. I have a photo album of them in my facebook page
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?id=1300698462&ref=profile
(or)
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2001548&id=1300698462

Outside the facebook, a still young, Flickr photo album
http://www.flickr.com/photos/30477054@N03/

Feel free to come see and comment on the photos.

Patrick Walsh
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 06, 2009 01:57 AM      Profile for Patrick Walsh   Email Patrick Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All very interesting to read other peoples hobbies.
Another that I am interested in is Ocean Liners especially TITANIC and those ships of that era.
pat

--------------------
"Raise The Titanic!", It would of been cheaper to lower the Atlantic!

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 06, 2009 03:25 AM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like this thread, it’s always interesting to know what other people collect. I’m sure most of us on here have the collector’s gene, I certainly do and I have to keep it tightly under control! [Embarrassed]

I am another model railway collector, not in any big way, but I held on to the Hornby Dublo 3 rail layout that my brothers and I enjoyed as children and have continued to add to it over the years. People who know me won’t be surprised to learn that I can never pass the opportunity of buying a piece of Dublo in its original blue box!

My other, and perhaps most consuming passion is old VW Beetles. Having grown up with VWs my first car was a 1955 VW Beetle and over the years I have owned countless examples, several I have restored and one that I still own, I show from time to time – in fact it’s shortly to be featured in an International VW magazine! [Wink]

I currently have two Beetles, the one mentioned above, is a 1972 World Champion Edition, it’s one of a limited number built and sold to commemorate the Beetle overhauling Fords record for production of a single model (the Model T), I also have a 1957 model. The latter I am in the process of restoring, currently concentrating on a rebuild of the engine and transmission. A VW friend and I are hoping to make the 4 yearly vintage VW pilgrimage to Bad Camberg in Germany in it in a couple of years time.

I didn’t discover Super 8 until I was in my 20s, having mostly been involved in still photography before being bitten by the cine bug. Being a compulsive tinkerer I was immediately attracted to the mechanical side of the hobby and have always remained fascinated by the projectors and equipment, but being a social sort of chap, the opportunity to put on a show for receptive audiences whilst enjoying the purr of the projector was an irresistible draw and I was quickly hooked…

Mike [Cool]

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 06, 2009 03:29 AM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm VERY interested in collecting, but the only one I've collected so far won't let me out to look for interesting additions.

Martin

--------------------
Retired TV Service Engineer
Ongoing interest in Telecine....

Antonis Galanakis
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 06, 2009 05:02 AM      Profile for Antonis Galanakis   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike,
it will be very interesting to see some of your VW Beetle photos. I love those cars. It was my father's first car, and the first car i ride (not drive) as a little kid. I always watch the TV shows for rebuilding Beetles (Discovery channel etc).

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 06, 2009 05:13 PM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's funny about the model railroading, how many of us either have or have had that. I still have my Marklin HO set stored, so perhaps one day it will puff its way around the track again.

In addition to the (almost obligatory) old movie projectors and cameras, I also have several still cameras, from a 1920es Kodak "folder" up to a 60es twin-lens Rolleiflex.

I have 500 LPs and I still add a few now and again, even as I also have CDs.
I pick up 78s as well now and then; I have some nice old jazz on them.

Being a bit of a pack rat by nature (at least so my wife claims) I am glad I don't have a big house. Because I am afraid I would find many ways to fill it... [Eek!] [Wink]

Claus.

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted March 06, 2009 05:38 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey guys ...

I would be interested as the median age of those into railroads and railroading in general, as I have heard about this in the past through numerous other posts, (and films with a train theme are a popular sub-niche of Super 8 and 8mm). I wouldn't be surpriased to find out that they are of the older sect.

Though I must admit, (though a young 43) that I have always had a fondness watching those trains close up.

When I was a little younger (I'm smarter now ... yeah, right), I would put my head in between the wood trestles (I think that's what they are called) in between, (not on the "iron road", mind you) and would watch that train roar by, at a roaring 50 or more miles per hour, mere inches above my head.

The ground rumbled!
The sound was deafening!
I screamed bloody murder!

... as I knew that if I lifted up my head, that train would lop it right off!

... and, when the train would finish going by, I would be rushing to my feet, dancing about with glee going ...

" Wow! Fu...ng Aye!! " (and other assorted colorful metaphors),

... as, there was such a freaking adreneline rush doing that.

Come to think of it, that was only two years ago.

Never mind the thought of a bouncing rock off of the wheels striking me in the head. I swear, I MUST lead a charmed life!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted March 06, 2009 07:20 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi,

I will be 47 in April: not much older than you!

Model Railroading kind of changed my life. When I was 9 years old my Dad promised to set the trains up. I was so into it I decided I needed to help out, so I got the "Big Kid's Book of Electricity" (or whatever...) and started learning about circuits. I spent my teens wiring up my layout, and when a high school electronics program became available I went for it. Today I've been in the Electronics industry for almost 29 years and can honestly say I enjoy my job.

-not a bad deal!

--------------------

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 07, 2009 10:32 AM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll be 49 in April, and I started with the basic 'going in circles' Marklin kit when I was about 10 (Christmas gift.)
At the same time, as a kid, I would take the train with my grandmother, and we still had steam in Denmark in those days. It cemented my love of trains and train travel.

Needless to say, after we moved, the little basement got taken over for the purposes of railroading. Sawhorses and planks to build the layout on, paper machee mountains, two-three separate sets of tracks, very ambitious [Razz]

Where I now live, the freight lines run 4 blocks away, through Washington DC. I find that I keep an eye on what kind of freight goes through, and generally indulge in a bit of trainspotting. I have also recorded the trains with my portable digital recorder, just to have sound effects handy.

PS: Osi's story reminds me of the time I was on an overpass and I stuck my head through two of the iron bars in the railing to see the train go under. I couldn't get my head back out and my grandmother was getting panicked enough to think about going to the nearby auto repair shop to have someone bring a welding torch to free me. I think the very idea of that got me to find a way to (painfully) get my head free on my own....

Claus.

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

peter booth
Master Film Handler

- posted March 07, 2009 01:38 PM      Profile for peter booth   Email peter booth       Edit/Delete Post 
Apart from 8mm and VP,I also have a model railway layout,Hornby 00 gauge.It is on a 6'x4' board and fits underneath my 6'screen in my cinema.When not in use.I cover it with black material,and the effect is to look just like a stage procenium.
I also collect old Picture postcards of Scarborough in the early 1900's,especially scenes showing the old Trams.
I will be 70 this year and I am sure these interests help keep me young.
Regards,Peter.

Stewart McSporran
Master Film Handler

- posted March 07, 2009 04:15 PM      Profile for Stewart McSporran   Email Stewart McSporran   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Apart from film I collect cylinder phonographs and records, jazz 78s, CDs and DVDs.

I'm also into model railways! I scratch build 2mm Finescale track and rolling stock. I've been working on the same layout for six years now and have only built about a quarter of it. Still, it's only a hobby.

A side effect of scratch building is that I've got into model engineering and am currently converting the back of my garage into a workshop - the wife wasn't too thrilled when the lathe and milling machine turned up!

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted March 07, 2009 05:03 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stewart,

I guess that means you lay your own track. I did this for O Scale two-foot narrow gauge, and it was a challenge. My middle age eyes ache from even thinking of doing this for N-Gauge!

Do you solder your rails to the ties?

[ March 07, 2009, 06:29 PM: Message edited by: Steve Klare ]

--------------------

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted March 07, 2009 07:25 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Stewart whats 2mm finescale ? please.
Best Mark.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted March 08, 2009 05:53 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
love and collect vintage electronics, Jukeboxes,
Hi Antonis, I have seen your photos and owning a Jukebox is my dream.

Unfortunately, I could find any here in Indonesia. If I may ask, how much is the cheapest machine like you have on that photo?

regards

--------------------
Winbert

Stewart McSporran
Master Film Handler

- posted March 08, 2009 06:13 AM      Profile for Stewart McSporran   Email Stewart McSporran   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve / Mark,

2mm Finescale is a bit like the 2mm equivalent of EM but on properly gauged track. The gauge is 9.42mm rather than N's 9mm.

Yes, I solder the track to the sleepers, and put individual chair plates in between them. Although some guys in the 2mm Association have recently released a plastic based track system that makes it much simpler, and looks really good. The only downside to me is that in the era I'm modelling sleepers were 9' long and the plastic ones represent the more modern 8' 6".

Lots of info, pictures and standards data at the association website http://www.2mm.org.uk/

Stewart

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted March 08, 2009 07:14 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good Stuff Stewart!,

What is your rail size?

I laid .07" tall rail on hand cut wooden ties with individual spikes. I eventually built up my own turnouts from rail stock and after a few it was actually easy.

It's picky stuff, and unfortunately it calls for a willingness to size up a couple of days work, admit it's not right, tear it up and start all over again.

There's commercially available track these days...I'm not 100% sure were I to start another layout I'd not be tempted to cheat, even if just a little!

--------------------

Stewart McSporran
Master Film Handler

- posted March 08, 2009 08:42 AM      Profile for Stewart McSporran   Email Stewart McSporran   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Spikes on wood sounds like a lot of work!

The rail we use is 40 thou and comes in either flat bottomed or bullhead profile.

I don't know if you've come across a product called Templot? (templot.com) it's a track design program that follows prototype practice, but is configured to use the flange and crossing gaps of the different model scales. Very idiosyncratic but I used it to design the whole 8 metre running length of my model along with its 8 turnouts.

The problem I found with hand making track is that you end up learning more than you ever thought you'd need to know about the prototype, so you're never happy with what you do! I ripped up 3 metres of track and four turnouts and started again at one point.

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted March 08, 2009 09:49 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Certain LPs and sets (Murray Hill boxed ones), also those from Pro-Musica and Nonesuch Records, Playwright and Actor - Scribble a column for REEL-IMAGE, collect certain books, hardcovers with dj, old kids series and alot of history/theatre - Radio programs (cassettes, have many), also information on film companies/distributors - Had alot of toys and material which I literally gave away to Toy Drives at the Holidays

Kurt Gardner
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 08, 2009 11:19 AM      Profile for Kurt Gardner   Author's Homepage   Email Kurt Gardner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I too am enjoying the vinyl record renaissance. I have a Pro-Ject Debut III audiophile turntable and the bands I like and see in concert (Kaiser Chiefs, Arctic Monkeys, Dandy Warhols, Coldplay, Wilco, Spoon, Arcade Fire, Vampire Weekend, Wilco, Killers, The Verve and Beck to name but a few), all have their new stuff available on vinyl. Usually they're 2-disc sets with deluxe packaging and there's a download code for a digital version of the album or a CD inside so you can take it on the road. I never buy CDs if the vinyl version is available.

I was smart and didn't throw away all of my vinyl during the CD revolution of the 1980s, so I still have much of my punk/new wave collection from the 1980s as well as some choice movie soundtracks. Playing them on vinyl takes you back to that time like a CD never could.

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted March 08, 2009 01:28 PM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, the LPs and boxed sets I all still have, most are in their original sealed condition - My prized ones:

ORIGINAL TV SOUNDTRACK "RUDOLPH THE RED-NOSED REINDEER" 1964
" "HOW THE GRINCH STOLE CHRISTMAS" 1966
Many Pro-Musica/Nonesuch; Baroque, Renaissance, Madrigals, Dances and Various Court Instrumentals

Murray Hill - All Sealed: BEST OF BURNS AND ALLEN
" LAUREL AND HARDY
" ABBOTT AND COSTELLO
" WC FIELDS
" RADIO HORROR SHOWS
HOLLYWOOD HEROES ON THE AIR

And all sorts of others - Shorty, As a fact of matter, I'm bringing some LPs of silent film music to Cinefest to sell

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC