8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Now in the blogosphere!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Now in the blogosphere!
Kurt Gardner
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 10, 2009 12:44 AM      Profile for Kurt Gardner   Author's Homepage   Email Kurt Gardner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Check out my new blog, Weird Movie Village. It's a loosely-linked series of reminiscences and reviews about strange movies and the people who acted in them. You can find it at:

http://weirdmovievillage.blogspot.com/

I plan to have a big super 8mm posting soon!

|  IP: Logged

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted March 10, 2009 10:59 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
GRRRRRREAT site!

I enjoyed reading your "women of horror" (so to speak), and why not write about them? Without them, where would the screams and shocks be?

Great job! I look forward to more!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted March 10, 2009 11:05 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent stuff, Kurt.

Looking forward to more.

Incidentally a great book on the whole 50's and 60's onward horror/sci-fi scene in movies, TV and Magazines/books is Stephen King's DANSE MACABRE.

-Mike

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted March 10, 2009 11:15 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very cool work, Kurt. Looking forward to reading more...

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Lars Pettersson
Master Film Handler

- posted March 10, 2009 03:57 PM      Profile for Lars Pettersson   Email Lars Pettersson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kurt,
that was wonderful! [Smile] Iīm not THAT into horror myself, but you write so authoritatively about it that one is fascinated by it all, and you had some really good lines: "Maddin is certainly an acquired taste --- he's like Bergman on Red Bull" [Big Grin]

Great fun, keep up the good work!
Lars

Oh, by the way, Kurt, being into horror, how do you feel about Robert Wiseīs The Haunting? I saw it in a big cinema, stunning print, about 25 years ago and it really rocked the house! [Smile]

Kurt Gardner
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 10, 2009 05:00 PM      Profile for Kurt Gardner   Author's Homepage   Email Kurt Gardner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, everyone, for your kind words.

Lars, I love the original "Haunting." Never had the opportunity to see it on the big screen but the feeling of dread is so palpable even on television. You don't need geysers of blood and hockey masks to create true sustainable horror!

Lars Pettersson
Master Film Handler

- posted March 11, 2009 11:45 AM      Profile for Lars Pettersson   Email Lars Pettersson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Apart from being a solidly cast, beautifully directed and shot film (B&W scope is always great), I feel one of the best things about The Haunting is that itīs told so that itīs equally possibly these ghosts actually exist OR one of the characters is going insane and itīs all in her head.

Cheers
Lars

Kurt Gardner
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 27, 2009 07:19 PM      Profile for Kurt Gardner   Author's Homepage   Email Kurt Gardner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I threatened it and here it is. Check out my latest blog entry "The Joy of Super 8mm Cinema" on my blog. See if it rekindles any memories for you!

http://weirdmovievillage.blogspot.com/

Lars Pettersson
Master Film Handler

- posted April 03, 2009 12:29 AM      Profile for Lars Pettersson   Email Lars Pettersson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kurt, hereīs a good review of The Haunting [Smile]

http://www.moria.co.nz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1748Itemid=1

Cheers
Lars

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 06, 2009 09:32 AM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kurt, very enjoyable reading [Smile] You were very fortunate to have met so many of these wonderful people!

--------------------
Joe Taffis

Stewart McSporran
Master Film Handler

- posted April 06, 2009 12:21 PM      Profile for Stewart McSporran   Email Stewart McSporran   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kurt,

Great blogg, congratulations, and I agree with you 100% on remakes.

I see that your cat is as daft as mine! They always manage to sleep or stand in the light and never seem to get dazzled by looking into the lens. When I'm cleaning 16mm prints I normally have to throw some discarded footer for the cat to play with to keep her away from the good stuff.

Stewart

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC