8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » My First Blu-Ray Disc

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: My First Blu-Ray Disc
Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted March 11, 2009 03:35 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Might be my last when the wife finds out [Frown] I went into a store next to the cinema where I work just to have a look at the usual DVDs well they had not a bad line up of Blu-Ray discs one was "Blade Runner" The Final Cut...saying buy me.... so I did, dont even have a player yet "must be nuts" just could not resist it [Roll Eyes] so if you dont hear from me again my life force will have been terminated [Eek!] .

Talking about being terminated, [Roll Eyes] years ago long before computors, I used to phone Gary at Derann late at night to order the latest film from the list "posted" I used to do it when everyone was asleep "sneaky eh" ever tried to phone 12000 miles away speaking in a whisper, [Roll Eyes] I did that for years, cost a fortune in phone bills.... well when the films arrived in the letterbox, my young daughter used to say, does mum know about this... so I paid her extra pocket money to keep quiet, the down side to this arrangement was she told her brother, not to miss an opportunity he would also say does mum know about this so I paid him extra as well.

Film collecting has cost me a fortune over the years and although the kids are all grown up and doing their own thing I still feel guilty buying something I probably should not have, today I also asked the kind store assistant about the blu-ray "Pinocchio" no problem she says... gone and ordered that as well...so I think I am doomed.

How do you lot get on?... do your wives say no prob...buy what you want [Wink] or what?

Graham. [Smile]

|  IP: Logged

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 11, 2009 06:42 AM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The trick is to find yourself a wife or partner with an equaly expensive hobby. That's what I did. [Wink]

Mike

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

Stuart Fyvie
Film Handler

- posted March 11, 2009 05:48 PM      Profile for Stuart Fyvie   Email Stuart Fyvie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't feel bad,If it wasn't for collectors like us, films would simply Languish in a vault until they rot! Because of film collectors, film studios spend money restoring old films.
We create a market to justify releasing and preserving classics. The studios don't look after there library titles with there goodness of their heart! ~The cash we've pumped into the hobby over the years will keep it going for future generations.

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 11, 2009 06:44 PM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Graham, your post really made me laugh (with guilt, mostly!)

Well, we all know now is not the best time to be spending cash and having spent a small fortune in the last couple of months on replacing my video projector, buying a Blu-ray player, then being unhappy with DVD playback and buying yet another new DVD player...(not to mention new belts for the Elmo [Wink] ) I thought I was finally happy until I noticed certain DVDs running with out-of-sync sound. Well, apparently this isn't unusual with my set-up and the answer is a little black box which re-adjusts the audio delay.

I ordered one and it really does the trick...except that I have always been totally honest with my other half about how much stuff costs. Thing is, I felt so guilty about how much I'd been spending, I assured her it was, "oh, less than £100".

It was £200. Within days I felt compelled to come clean. Thing is, she was more annoyed that I had lied in the first place than about the actual cost!

Lesson...honesty always best policy...

But, hey, at least my sound is now in sync!!! [Smile] Not that I can hear it that well from the dog house... [Wink]

Christopher P Quinn
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 12, 2009 11:40 AM      Profile for Christopher P Quinn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Graham,
Welcome to Blu Ray, you won't be disappointed.

My hobby’s contributed to losing me one wife, but that was no big deal as i replaced her with a far better model and the new one reckons that my hobby keeps me out of trouble. I do tell her most of what i spend, but don't go out of my way to show her. Still, if she does say anything i promptly take her upstairs and show her, her shoe and hand bag collection.

Chris. [Wink]

--------------------
Chris Quinn Rides again.

David Erskine
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 12, 2009 02:57 PM      Profile for David Erskine   Email David Erskine   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Carol (my lady) doesn't mind the film collecting - as long as I buy her the De Walt power tools she likes (she's got good taste - in power tools at least!). Cheers, DE

--------------------
I've NEVER let failure go to MY head!

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted March 13, 2009 06:57 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks chaps [Smile] I have the disc hidden away at the moment, now the trick is, [Roll Eyes] how to get the player? [Wink]

Graham. [Smile]

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC