8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Modern Films (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Modern Films
David Park
Master Film Handler

- posted April 03, 2009 03:34 AM      Profile for David Park   Email David Park   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The really old projectors at the start of this thread how good with sound are they?
Still on mono optical? ( with or without Dolby noise reduction.)
If stereo added how far they got please?
Right up to date with Digital DTS perhaps.

Sound improvements have made great improvements to the cinema experience over the years.

--------------------
Regards,
David

|  IP: Logged

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted April 03, 2009 11:23 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Quite true, David.

Though it's interesting how few new changes to sound there have been. Except for surround sound in the 70's, I really don't count digital as a big breakthrough.

With crowd noise, you usually can't really enjoy great digital sound. That's where the home cinema really comes into play. There, you can really catch all the subtle things that you can't capture with "background noise' (crowd).

It's hard to believe that stereo first came about in theaters with "Fanta-sound", which Disney brought about for the first 1940 release of Fantasia. Very few theaters were equipped with the ability to play back Fanta-sound, but it was a startling innovation, when you think that people were still using 78 rpm records, (and would for quite awhile).

Even by today's standards, that original soundtrack, restored to it's original 1940's clarity on the special edition of Fantasia, sounds amazingly good. Not the same exact sonic quality as todays DTS and all, but amazing, just the same.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 03, 2009 04:04 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm... Osi, I think the regions we live in have a bearing on this discussion. Digital sound made such a difference when it first came out that I would drive to a different part of the city for a movie if it meant that the sound was state-of-the-art. I've infrequently been disappointed. I even remember going to a show with my wife in the early days of digital and lamenting how mushy the sound was at our screen. When exiting, some of the doors to other auditoriums were actually open, show-in-progress, and I remember noticing how clean, crisp, and clear the dialog was on another screen with the exact same film we'd just seen. It was digital sound, of course. Ours had been analog. More recently we've caught our local cineplex (you know, the one that I've ranted about because their equipment is WOW stuff but their prints keep getting killed for some unknown neglectful reason) running analog sound on a movie nominated for a sound Oscar. Nothing special in analog. But you should have heard that screen running Ratatouille in digital. Whoa.

In the right context the difference was, and is, readily apparent. The only pre-digital technology worthy of comparison was hearing Imax 6-track from a mag dubber (standard on all Imax screens in those days). Though now defunct, that's still a formidable top-quality audio format.

At the heart of David's question is a basic technological curiousity. It's true that technology hasn't changed a lot very often. Analog tracks did improve over the years in frequency response and the addition of stereo and surround. But bear in mind that nobody had to throw out projectors to make those changes. Just like adding a Dolby Digital reader to the top of the stack now, those analog readers were retrofitted. And have been again lately for red readers for cyan analog tracks (see www.dyetracks.org). So Graham's projectors could be old as the hills doing beautiful Dolby SR analog surround, or whatever, alongside digital.

For good stuff on technology changes over the years, visit http://www.widescreenmuseum.com.

Lars Pettersson
Master Film Handler

- posted April 04, 2009 02:56 AM      Profile for Lars Pettersson   Email Lars Pettersson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bill,

are you serious in saying that the only pre-digital sound technology worthy of comparison was 6-track from a mag dubber? I feel all those 70mm releases in the 70s and 80s (Star Wars, Close Encounters, Blade Runner, Apocalypse Now) all sounded sensational. [Roll Eyes]

And I feel modern analog Dolby SR sounds really good, too. The added dynamic range and the "silence" in digital is often compromised -as was earlier pointed out- by audience noise.

Cheers
Lars

David Park
Master Film Handler

- posted April 04, 2009 04:56 AM      Profile for David Park   Email David Park   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lars and Bill thanks for your replies just a bit confused though.
The first stereo films I came across were 4 track magnetic on cinemascopes, the 4th being surround but nothing much heard think they just created atmosphere.
Next came 70mm with 6 magnetic, of course 3 strip cinerama with a whole 35mm of magnectic tracks.
Then we had Dolby Stereo optical followed by variations through to Dolby Digital 5.1 as used in allmost all cinemas today.
I believe all this information is contained on the 35mm print. With the digital squeesed on and if it fail the cinemas system will default to the optical.
DTS is therefore a seperate disc, again if the DTS disc fails a default to optical occures.
Both digital system have variations from the 5.1 to 6.1 think these reffered to as ES.
Maybe the film you saw at the cinema did not have digital or defaulted.

The restored versions of the old 70mm films I have seen recently have had sound on DTS.
The problems with magnectic were cost of applying the coating and drop outs.
To me each new system improves on the old.

--------------------
Regards,
David

David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 04, 2009 09:27 AM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As a projectionist on many 70mm films, I can tell you the sound was simply incredible. Many preferred it to todays compressed Dolby Digital. We had Dolby CP 200 processors and 30 inch subs in one theatre I worked at, 70mm six track was very impressive.

David

David Park
Master Film Handler

- posted April 04, 2009 11:48 AM      Profile for David Park   Email David Park   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi David.
Have you heard the restored 70mm prints with DTS sound?
How you think they compare?
I aggree first time round the 6 track magnetic was a great step forward and impressive, but towards the end I understand the inner left and right tracks were not reproduced by the cinemas in order to use 4 amplifiers, the others which were faulty not being repaired.
In those days all the surround was mono, but then the digital system added left and right, and the Star Wars etc have left, right and rear.
I'm not sure just when the film makers started to make surround more than atmosphere and make it part of the action. Maybe it was at the time of Dolby stereo starting.

--------------------
Regards,
David

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted April 06, 2009 04:40 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Bill
Well here is cinema one similar to two in layout
 -
and another look towards the rear
 -
Entry is from the back, what the projectionist does here is to come in just at the start of the feature and adjust the volume. There is a volume control situated in a small box near the door and what I usually do is wait for some dialogue and adjust it to that, the volume is also set to the age and size of the audience, you soon get to know the movies and the best settings and that is checked every session. The rostered projectionist does not work behind the counter downstairs, but is responsible for everything thats going on in the projection room and the cinemas themselves eg a slight adjustment on the focus or anything else, thats his job "presentation" by doing this over the years there has been no complaints of the sound being to loud or quiet and I put this down to the projectionist doing his best for the paying public.
a photo of cinema two sound system.
 -
A quick rundown starting from the top
A DA20 Digital sound processor
six channel monitor
Ultra Stereo sound processor
and the rest are BGW 750F/G and QSC USA 850 Power amplifiers.
both cinema one and two are fitted with Dolby Digital 700 readers. and the old Bauer had been modified years ago to a Kelmar analog reverse scanning "IR/LED"

Although much of this stuff is probably "old had" by todays standard it can still kick butt, The amps are connected to a very good speaker system and the sound in the theatres no matter the size of the audience can be very effective.

Well one more on this post
 -
The old Jedi master looking a bit stuffed tummy bug all weekend and Junior Jedi projectionist still in uniform from working downstairs that night. If you are rostered on projecting you can wear what you like.

Well I have done my dash... I do have a couple more photos that might be of interest but only five are allowed on each reply.

Graham.

[ April 30, 2009, 05:12 AM: Message edited by: Graham Ritchie ]

Lars Pettersson
Master Film Handler

- posted April 06, 2009 06:34 AM      Profile for Lars Pettersson   Email Lars Pettersson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well done Graham,

Highly entertaining post! [Smile] [Smile]

Cheers
Lars

Stewart McSporran
Master Film Handler

- posted April 06, 2009 01:31 PM      Profile for Stewart McSporran   Email Stewart McSporran   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It looks like a fun place to work. Wish I'd found somewhere like that when I was a teenager.

I did ask at a couple of local cinemas but they weren't interested!

I've drawn the plans for an extension to the house; funny that there's a little room, on a raised floor, with small windows into the neighbouring room [Big Grin]

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted April 07, 2009 03:27 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Lars [Smile]

Stewart
Its a pity you did not get a chance, a lot of young people are more than capable of doing the job given the opportunity.

Well the last photos.
 -
This is where most of the work is done changing adds, trailers making up films etc, The cinema runs 12 hours 7 days a week, with only one projectionist on at a time. The three of us thats including our part time projectionist work to our own fixed roster, thats the calender next to the clock, a few years ago I made a light box, cut a hole in the bench and placed some sand blasted "Lexan" over it, one 60 watt lamp and a strip of cooking tin foil to help reflect the light.
 -
There are two Alpha platters down this end the three deck for cinema one and the five deck for cinema two. The five deck is the important one as films can run up or down the roof to cinema three and at the same time the other decks can be used for the Bauer projector. There is a lot of film movement and we can screen up to 10 different features in one day so with roof rollers film can be going all ever the place, we can lift films of the decks by sliding them onto a large circular sheet of plastic with a hole in the centre for holding the downstairs staff are really good at helping out.
 -
This is cinema three its a "Kinoton" forget video projection this 35mm projector will run forever its really quiet, note those rollers on the roof the platter is a five deck Christie.
 -
a closer look and thats the DTS reader all the amplifiers are "QSC USA 850" and both analog and DTS sound is very good.

Its interesting to note that I could fit both Dolby Digital or DTS readers to my 80 year old Ernemann projector "from the silent era" and run this stuff. strike up the carbon lamp if it still worked and "bingo" better picture and sound "or very close to it" than the latest cinema video instalation.

Well... this is the last photo hope you did not mind the tour.
 -

Lars Pettersson
Master Film Handler

- posted April 07, 2009 10:22 AM      Profile for Lars Pettersson   Email Lars Pettersson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Keepīem coming, Graham!

I enjoyed the photos. [Smile] [Smile]

Cheers
Lars

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted April 07, 2009 03:11 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Though the Ultra stereo or six track sound came about in the early sixties (I believe), the stereo soundtracks made for the early 1950's films were second to none. For instance, I believe the film was "Gentlemen Prefer Blondes" (or was it, "How to Marry a Millionarre"?), was one of the first official streo releases of the fifties, and they had a whole intro to show off the sound quality ...

... and sound quality it had ... in spades!

Perhaps this was because it was a new technology (in general) and so they wanted to show it off as much as possible.

That doesn't mean that the films of today don't do a good job of it. To be quite frank, sometimes the audio mix is the best part of the whole film, hearing stuff from all around you, while the actual film is total crap!

--------------------

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted April 11, 2009 10:01 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just jumping back to topic on modern films, [Roll Eyes] has anyone else seen "The Boat That Rocked" about a pirate radio station in the 60s. I watched it last week at the cinema not a bad movie although it might not be to everyones taste. I thought the "DJ" [Cool] comments over the radio, giving the ships coordinates in the North Sea for "help" as they were quickly sinking [Eek!] was well done as with the rescue of "I think his name was Bob" and his collection of records [Smile]

Graham.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted April 11, 2009 10:11 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Reminds me the Tom Petty song "Last DJ" from a few years back ...

There goes the last DJ
Who plays what He wants to play
and says what he wants to say ...
Hey hey hey!

There goes your freedom of choice
there goes the last ... human voice.
There goes the last DJ.

(Tom Petty)

I believe it was about a DJ that went to live in mexico, where he started up his own pirate radio station that still dared to play LP records.

I know that's slightly off track, but I'm quite fond of the song.

--------------------

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted April 15, 2009 11:17 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jumping again [Roll Eyes] here are a couple of photos of my 80 year old 35mm Ernemann 2 projector fitted with a modified Zeiss Ikon soundhead almost as old as the projector itself.
 -
The soundhead has been modified to reverse scan "IR/LED"
 -

-
I spent a lot of time making it all fit, with the use of test loops an old amp and headphones to monitor the Solar Cell adjustments I was making it worked out well. The initial problem of "hum" was fixed by better earthing of the solar cell, pre-amp and the analog power supply. I spent many many hours getting things right before connecting to my main Yamaha amp. The end result is good clear quality sound from both L/R channels so there you have it, the age of the projector means nothing..... now where can I fit that "Dolby Digital" reader [Eek!]

Graham. [Smile]

Patrick Walsh
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 15, 2009 11:43 PM      Profile for Patrick Walsh   Email Patrick Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
soundhead looks good Graham.
Those German machines are very good quality and will be running long after we are gone, I think the men who built those machine would of never dreamt that they would be in use still today!
Pat

--------------------
"Raise The Titanic!", It would of been cheaper to lower the Atlantic!

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted April 16, 2009 05:07 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Pat
It still amazing that the Ernemann 2 is in such good condition and that there appears to be no wear in the intermittent or any of the other working parts. The screen image is rock steady, its interesting that the projector could be bought as either a Left or Right handed machine. The Ernemann 2 was first manafactured in 1925 in Dresden in Germany and it was in March 1928 that it was first used in NZ, the last Ernemann 2 imported into NZ was in June 1939.

There is no doubt in my mind this projector will last forever another 100 years at least [Wink] although I will be long gone [Frown] . when you think that the latest VP electronic marvel of a projector might last 5-8 years if you are lucky its really a bit of a joke compared to 35mm projection equipment. I was asked lately what was the point of training young people in 35mm when things are going video.. well video might be the future but what a thrill to say one day to your children or grandkids when you take them to the movies, that you used to be a cinema projectionist running that stuff that was once called film.

I was amused the other day when "Junior Jedi Projectionist" had just watched Dragonball "he made up the film". I asked what was the movie like, his reply was just OK.... but added....my splices looked good, [Cool] he was more interested in his splices than the movie [Smile] "almost as bad as me" [Eek!] I cant think of anything worse than sitting in a theatre with someone watching out for the reel changing dots etc. [Wink]

Graham.

Lars Pettersson
Master Film Handler

- posted April 16, 2009 05:14 AM      Profile for Lars Pettersson   Email Lars Pettersson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Graham,

Movie prints may get a slightly prolonged lease of life since they make life so much more difficult for pirates, compared to anything digital which can just be put on the Internet and -presto- the production you just paid $200M to make is now free for all to watch! [Eek!]

Cheers
Lars

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted April 18, 2009 04:15 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Lars
Interesting point, I wonder how the present Digital cinema is protected against piracy? as more cinemas make that move to video projection world wide I guess the risk of piracy must also increase. It would be nice for 35mm to continue for a few more years yet [Smile]

Graham.

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted April 18, 2009 04:23 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Absolutely.

How easy will it be for projection-room staff, or any other employee of the cinema for that matter, to copy a digitally stored movie?

-Mike

David Park
Master Film Handler

- posted April 18, 2009 06:33 AM      Profile for David Park   Email David Park   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is the digital print on a disc now?
When I first heard about the digital system I was told the film owner whould feed the film to the cinema, (via satellite?) and the cinema would have it in thier system and it would only replay there and for a pre booked number of times.
Thus a better security.

--------------------
Regards,
David

Lars Pettersson
Master Film Handler

- posted April 18, 2009 07:58 AM      Profile for Lars Pettersson   Email Lars Pettersson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Over here they use a system consisting of a box containing hard drives and a GPS transponder, thus this "film" can only be run in the geographical area where itīs supposed to run. Here this system is used mainly in the countryside, where earlier the alternative was very worn prints or no cinema at all, therefore for us itīs an improvment. These countryside cinemas have also -very succesfully- "screened" opera performances live from the Metropolitan in New York, since obviously the equipment is well suited for that.

The big cinemas in the cities all run 35mm prints however, Iīm happy to say. [Smile]

Cheers
Lars

David Park
Master Film Handler

- posted April 19, 2009 06:09 PM      Profile for David Park   Email David Park   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Went tonight to see a film and not been to a multi-plex for quite a while, are they dying or maybe dead?
At 8pm less than 50 cars in carpark. In our cinema there were 12 seats taken!
I think that means if average of 3 people per car 150 people in total spread over the 13 cinemas. But there is a Fitness center as well so some of my estimated 150 would be in there!

--------------------
Regards,
David

Lars Pettersson
Master Film Handler

- posted April 20, 2009 01:53 AM      Profile for Lars Pettersson   Email Lars Pettersson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David,

Iīve had that experience too, I was ALONE in a cinema watching P.Jacksonīs King Kong a couple of years ago [Eek!] -but in general it seems to depend on what movie you go to see. Kong is probably a piracy/download nightmare (noone in the cinemas), Mama Mia was drawing huge crowds (lots of middle aged women who wouldnīt dream of downloading a film), Wallace & Gromit = full house (both children and parents want to see it in a cinema), Quantum of Solace = good crowd, 90% male, again seeing it in a cinema is virtually a must. [Smile]

Cheers
Lars

All times are Central
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC