8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Modern Films (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Modern Films
David Park
Master Film Handler

- posted April 20, 2009 02:54 AM      Profile for David Park   Email David Park   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes maybe 'The Boat That Rocks' is not a crowed puller but surely the other 12 screens could have more than 10 to 12 people each.
50 cars if all full would mean only 250 people in total over 13 screens and Fitness Center.

--------------------
Regards,
David

|  IP: Logged

Lars Pettersson
Master Film Handler

- posted April 20, 2009 03:27 AM      Profile for Lars Pettersson   Email Lars Pettersson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I´m sorry to hear the title was 'The Boat That Rocks' as this appears to be targeted at the Mama Mia crowd, and should be doing better... [Confused]

Perhaps what multiplexes may start doing in the future is diminishing the number of screens? The opposite to how it all started... [Roll Eyes]

Cheers
Lars

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted April 22, 2009 04:16 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"The Boat That Rocks" has not done well out here compared with a film like "Australia" which even up to its last screening was getting about 50 people on the Saturday night which is not bad for an old movie, at present we are in the middle of the school holidays so its kids films like "Monsters vs Aliens" etc thats doing well after the holidays I am going to bring back for a short trial "Australia" again at 7.30pm and see how it goes, also try an early 7.45pm session on the "Boat That Rocked" other evening films are "Wolverine" and "Fast and the Furious" "full session to that one tonight" sub is working well...got your ear plugs [Eek!] a bit of a mix for everyone....for me I will be content to run some Super8 or 16mm at home [Wink]

I think one of the downsides of going out to the movies is that a multi-plex is very impersonel and as much fun as visiting a airport departure lounge and thats something we try as much as possible to avoid, getting people to come back you have to make them want to return and if the downstairs staff and not forgetting the projectionist [Cool] "who runs the engine room" are friendly then this usually works. It has been mentioned in the past that "Video Projection" instead of 35mm would bring people back with so called better picture and sound, I doubt that will be the case as many people think we run "Video" anyway [Eek!] The cinema industry should spend more money on better training for both downstairs and projection staff and foget video... anyway thats just my theory [Roll Eyes] for me the last 10 years has been really good, in particular the projection side the other two projectionists I work with have been great "one has just turned 16 this week" [Smile] we could not run this place without them and even though the country is in a reccession the owners have just renewed all our employment contracts that included a pay rise for everyone so I guess we are doing something right [Smile] Its hard to say what the future of the cinema industry will be but no matter what, for myself and the others I work with it has been an experience that we wont forget.

Graham.

David Park
Master Film Handler

- posted April 22, 2009 04:55 AM      Profile for David Park   Email David Park   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Boat That Rocks I would not expect it to do well outside of the UK, unless in a country that did have or has pirate radio ships.
Personally did like the film as this ships type of broadcasting was not that type back on the likes of Radio Caroline etc. eg the sexual words and chat on air. I went to see it expecting a more historicaly correct story.
My post wasn't about this film but lack of bussiness at the multi-plex overall at a weekend peak time.
Yes it not like going to the cinema in the old days.
One person takes money issues tickets, friendly yes.
You go upstairs a girl sat tears your ticket in two pionts you down corridor to your screen number.
Thats all the humans you see.
Old days, well greeted by doorman at the street, opens door for you. Buy tickets at box office, manager in long tailed jacket greets you in foyer, head to stalls or circle when there an usherette at each door assists you to seat if required
At intermision or break in programme offers you ice cream etc.
By the way at least one usherette in for the show.
On leaving the manager wishes you good night.

--------------------
Regards,
David

All times are Central
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC