8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » sprockets?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: sprockets?
Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 16, 2009 01:27 PM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
anyone know of a source of general purpose film sprockets of all gauges?

Martin

--------------------
Retired TV Service Engineer
Ongoing interest in Telecine....

|  IP: Logged

Joerg Polzfusz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 17, 2009 02:36 AM      Profile for Joerg Polzfusz   Author's Homepage   Email Joerg Polzfusz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

are you looking for something like this?
http://www.lavezzi.com/QA/LavSprocket.html

Jörg

Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 17, 2009 03:32 AM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joerg,
Thank you, it's a good start point., albeit on the expensive side for my budget! These are obviously the world leaders in precision components in this field; something more basic would be satisfactory. But then I suppose that the almost complete extinction of production of cameras and projectors for the domestic market narrows the field more than somewhat.
Who, for example, supplies people like Bolex and the Russian camera makers? Or the Chinese or Japanese projector manufacturers? Or sources of spare sprockets for older domestic machines? Or are we reduced to cannibalization to replace worn out components?
What do other members do, or do sprockets not wear out? Not that I'm trying to replace worn bits; it's a project I'm researching.

Martin

--------------------

Joerg Polzfusz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 19, 2009 03:08 PM      Profile for Joerg Polzfusz   Author's Homepage   Email Joerg Polzfusz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Martin,

there should be several factories in your surrounding that produce gears or do have a CNC-machine ... . They should be able to produce film sprockets as well.
E.g. you might want to contact this company as they do have a "made to order"-service:
http://www.srb-griturn.com/

The last companies that still produce new super8-stuff are Ruedi Muster (Switzerland - still produces the needed parts to convert Bolex-16mm-cams to Doublesuper8, which should include film sprockets) and some companies that produce telecine-devices (mwa-nova (Germany), ... which should include sprockets as well).

However when any film sprocket does the job for you: There are tons of used projectors, cameras and viewers on ebay, on qxl or on a local flea-market that you should be able to buy for one pound (plus shipping when using ebay or qxl). I doubt that any of them had been used often enough to cause wear or damages to the film-sprockets.

Jörg

Lars Pettersson
Master Film Handler

- posted April 19, 2009 03:31 PM      Profile for Lars Pettersson   Email Lars Pettersson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Martin, do you mean super8 sprocket-wheels?

I think I could help you out, I bought what was left of Elmo projector service spare parts in Sweden about twelve years ago.

The ST series (also GS) first sprocket (12 teeth I think) is readily available. The GS 1200 second sprocket you have to scavange a machine to obtain. [Roll Eyes]

E-mail me at

la55e dot p at telia dot com

Joerg -great link! [Smile] [Smile]

Cheers
Lars

Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 20, 2009 01:00 PM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for answers, everyone. It looks like I shall have to go down the flea market (car boot) route on this one. Super 8/ Reg 8 is not a problem as I have 3 or 4 scrap machines to break up. I'm particularly interested in 16 and 35mm, so anyone with scrap machines (both cameras and projectors ) they want to throw away, remember me! I'm looking for sprockets, rollers, claw movements, intermiitent mechanisms etc. but the budget is very small!

Martin

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC