8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Blu-ray prices coming down (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Blu-ray prices coming down
Christopher P Quinn
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 18, 2009 05:07 PM      Profile for Christopher P Quinn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At last it looks as if the prices on blu-ray films are starting to drop, although only on line. Amazon have dropped prices on there blu-ray collection and have included a buy two get one free as well. Other online websites are following suit. I am hoping that this will be here to stay. The blu-ray format is now half the price it was when first it appeared and on many titles less than that.

I have just bought The Professionals 1966 £12.98...
 -

The Cowboys... £8.98
 -

And for her in doors. The Waterhorse. £9.98 This has been given some brilliant reviews...
 -

I am still buying DVD's, classic TV stuff mainly but for films that are classic re-releases, blu-rays are giving them new life. Just watched The Way The West Was Won again, but in smilebox format. Eye candy would be an under statement, and the smilebox format is brilliant.

-

I am completely sold on and committed to the format. Bring on more classics.

--------------------
Chris Quinn Rides again.

|  IP: Logged

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted April 18, 2009 06:13 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whats rather sad is the aftermath ...

I was down at the local foodmart, and along with the marked down DVD's, they had marked down for clearance HD DVD's at 3.99 each.

Sad.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Christopher P Quinn
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 18, 2009 06:25 PM      Profile for Christopher P Quinn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi, the HD discs were never going to go anywhere, the blu-rays are just way ahead. They were only beneficial to those who manufactured them, as it was a relative small outlay to upgrade. I love my blu-ray almost as much as my super 8.
Chris.

--------------------
Chris Quinn Rides again.

Steven J Kirk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 18, 2009 07:00 PM      Profile for Steven J Kirk   Email Steven J Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Amazon.co.uk is the way to go. I couldn't believe the high Street prices I saw recently in the UK. HMV have Blu-Ray a third more, at least, sometimes double! A film might be £25 in store and £15 online. Or less.

--------------------
VistaVision
Motion Picture High-Fidelity

Christopher P Quinn
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 18, 2009 07:25 PM      Profile for Christopher P Quinn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Spot on Steve, I’ve given up looking in the shops altogether. I think the price will come down, they'll have to sooner or later as they just won't sell them. Amazon is the best, i use to use play a lot, but found that Amazon were increasingly beating them on prices. Other sites are coming more in line with Amazon, and eventually blu-rays will level out more. DVD's at Amazon on some titles are at give away prices and i could shop until i wear my keyboard out. God, if only they did super 8. [Smile]
Chris.

--------------------
Chris Quinn Rides again.

Kevin Clark
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 19, 2009 07:19 AM      Profile for Kevin Clark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For sure Amazon is leading the way price wise with Bluray to the point now where it is madness to buy a DVD instead of its Bluray counterpart - the 3 for 2 offer has been on for a while and is worth checking regularly as the prices and titles vary on a daily basis depending on supply and demand. I tend to ignore the review comments of Blurays on Amazon though as most people that state there is no difference in quality to DVD watch their disks on 36" or smaller TV's - I've yet to see any DVD look as good as its equivalent Bluray (or HD-DVD) when properly projected.

Amazon's 3 for 2 offer went belly up a couple of weeks ago and for one Sunday afternoon it was possible to buy Blurays for 3 for 1 in price ! - this was the first major misprice I've seen from a major e-tailer for years and Amazon, bless them, honoured all the mispriced orders too - makes you wonder how cheaply they buy them in for in the first place.

Talking about HD-DVD - in the UK the Poundland chain of high street stores currently have large stocks of disks for only (you've guessed it) £1 each - having a collection of both HD-DVD and Bluray disks I can vouch for identical quality from both of these HD sources so these older format disks are still well worth getting and very cheap indeed now. Playable only on HD-DVD players though.

Kevin

Christopher Way
Film Handler

- posted April 19, 2009 09:34 AM      Profile for Christopher Way     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Blue-ray is now the way ahead, but I am still finding that although the BR DVDs are coming down in price, the players are still quite high in price. What are your thoughts.

As pointed out HD DVD would never have taken off, because at the same time the HDMI leads were brought out, which projected a normal DVD in the near HD format.

Just one question I need answering. If one has an abundance of normal DVDs, can these be played on a Blue Ray Player. I would not want to have to re-purchase them all in Blue Ray.

Thanks
Chris

Steven J Kirk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 19, 2009 11:20 AM      Profile for Steven J Kirk   Email Steven J Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
BD players certainly do play DVDs ( though maybe not multi-region ) and my Pan BD30 improves sharpness and colour on DVDs without question.

--------------------
VistaVision

Mark Williams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 19, 2009 11:52 AM      Profile for Mark Williams   Email Mark Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chris,

Yes,Blue-Ray players are backwards compatible so you can also play your treasured dvds too,I think we discussed this point before here.

Cheers MW

Christopher P Quinn
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 19, 2009 01:20 PM      Profile for Christopher P Quinn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am now wondering how many blu-rays Kev has got on the buy one get two free, lol. Wish I’d had know. [Frown]

Chris, I think you'll find the old HD format gives the same quality picture as blu-ray does at present. My point is that blu-ray is more future proof as the present 50 gig discs will be at some time replaced with 200 gig 6 layer discs. Something that HD discs would never have been able to do and gives credence to blu-ray being the winning format.

I am though annoyed at the region coding practice still being carried out with the A B C coding. I am thinking of finding someone to make my machine region free as there is one blu-ray on region A that i want desperately...
 -

This is brilliant docu on the universe called (Journey to the Edge of the Universe) It would look amazing on my 6ft screen. Very annoying as it seems there is no plans to release a B region version. [Mad] [Mad]

Chris.

--------------------
Chris Quinn Rides again.

Kevin Clark
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 19, 2009 02:24 PM      Profile for Kevin Clark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Chaps

Chris Way - I can heartily recommend the Sony 350 Bluray player as it can be made multiregion for DVD playback (but not for Bluray playback AFAIK) and price wise it is still very cheap compared to the early DVD players - I recall paying over £400 for a Sony DVD player in 2000.

Chris PQ - I didn't post the news of the Amazon 3 for 1 misprice as TBH I never thought it would come off - in the 'early days' of the internet and online shopping pricing cock-ups like this were aplenty and usually as long as your credit card was charged the deal would go through, whereas these days etailers use unavailable stock and card clearance problems to wriggle out of such database pricing errors. I kept my order to the titles I really wanted for myself - 6 x Bond Blurays worked out to just under £30 with free delivery, plus some of the Disney / Pixar titles like Cars, Meet The Robinsons, etc. and some of the £9.98 titles like Master & Commander and Die Hard. My spend up on these disks means no more Bluray buying for a while now though (added info just in case Mrs. Clark is reading this!)

Regarding region coding - HD-DVD disks had the advantage as they were never region coded for HD - I have HD disks from all over the world that play fine on my Toshiba EP30 players whereas many of the same title Bluray re-releases have been region coded. In some ways I can appreciate it to protect cinema takings if a current film has not yet been releaesd in the cinemas of other countries, but to region code older catalogue titles seems pointless except to protect country manufacturing bases and censorship coding.

Kevin

peter booth
Master Film Handler

- posted April 19, 2009 02:36 PM      Profile for peter booth   Email peter booth       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Kevin,
I have just bought THE PROFESSIONALS brand new from Paul Foster at £10.99,JOURNEY TO THE CENTRE OF THE EARTH from Play.com at £9.99,also PINOCCHIO £14.99 all BLU-RAY,all post free so you are right prices are falling.
I paid £179 for my SONY 350 player multi-region from RGBDIRECT,a great player it is too.
Best Wishes,
Peter.

Christopher P Quinn
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 19, 2009 05:32 PM      Profile for Christopher P Quinn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not your fault Kev, I'm too slow anyway.
I have the sony 350, great player and much cheapness from Blockbuters, £199 with 5 top blu-rays thrown in. [Cool]

I am now thinking about an HD player to sit next to my blu-ray, which sits on top of my laserdisc player, which sits not to far from my DVD player close to the VHS recorder, which...

Better stop now. [Smile]

Just found this...
http://www.stegen.com/product_info.php/products_id/1050

Although very exspensive. [Frown]

--------------------
Chris Quinn Rides again.

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted April 19, 2009 05:42 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Out here Blu-ray prices are falling, however I understand Blu-ray recorders will be on the market later this year that in turn will bring the price down of just the players themselves thats when I will make the big move [Wink] and buy one, some of the present Blu-ray players can play multi-zoned discs plus normal DVDs and are NTSC/PAL just the thing for me, one expensive item however are the HDMI cables.

Graham. [Smile]

peter booth
Master Film Handler

- posted April 20, 2009 08:24 AM      Profile for peter booth   Email peter booth       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Graham,
I bought my HDMI cable from Amazon.co uk it only cost £14.99 and gives superb results,
Best wishes,
Peter.

Christopher Way
Film Handler

- posted April 20, 2009 09:55 AM      Profile for Christopher Way     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have the new ACER AS8930G 18.4" Laptop due delivery anyday now. £1390 worth of equipment, although I brought mine for £700 brand new. I am replacing my Desktop system which is antiquated now, and decided to go mobiel so to speak.

The point is, this laptop has BlueRay capability, and with an HDMI lead (provided), I can blay BR through to my TV, hopefully for the time being negating the necessity to buy a BR system.

Regards, Chris

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted April 22, 2009 02:12 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Peter
I will look out for a 3 metre cable next month, they seem to vary in price are there certain brands better than others?

Graham.

Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 22, 2009 03:29 AM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Graham,

See this thread on the subject of AV cables; price rip-offs are the order of the day in this field.

http://8mmforum.film-tech.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=001160# 000004

BTW, you've forgotten you read it already, when it was first posted!

Martin

--------------------
Retired TV Service Engineer
Ongoing interest in Telecine....

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted April 22, 2009 04:33 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Martin
Jeepers.. I think I have been in this projection room to long [Smile]

Regards Graham. [Smile]

Christopher P Quinn
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 22, 2009 06:59 PM      Profile for Christopher P Quinn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Platinum Range of HDMI cables are superb from this UK site...
http://www.hdcable.co.uk/hdmi

I bought a 7 meter cable; they do go to 15 meters. The build quality is as good as they say and the price is very competitive. I would highly recommend this cable.

Chris.

--------------------
Chris Quinn Rides again.

peter booth
Master Film Handler

- posted April 23, 2009 11:26 AM      Profile for peter booth   Email peter booth       Edit/Delete Post 
Hardware is coming down too,the Sony 350 is now at Argos for £149.99.
And I thought I had a bargain at £179.99 although mine is multiregion for ordinary dvd's.I am assuming the one at Argos will be Region 2.
Peter.

Steven J Kirk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 26, 2009 02:51 PM      Profile for Steven J Kirk   Email Steven J Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've just been screening a couple of new Blu-Rays through the video projector. QUO VADIS is staggering in picture quality. I don't use the term lightly. This was the original Technicolor still I believe, certainly the colours are magnificent and the definition pin-sharp. Hypnotic, really, especially when Deb Kerr is on... The sound is olde tyme mono but nice and clear, a tiny bit of optical crackle noticeable. THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL - the black and white is lovely, again crisp sharp picture and clean mono sound. Both are 4x3. Both highly recommended. Both have a great film look. Another recent purchase, the Luc Besson JOAN OF ARC, excellent in sound and image but the picture has that ever so slight video edgy, synthetic look, just takes the shine off it.

--------------------
VistaVision

Andrew Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 03, 2009 07:15 AM      Profile for Andrew Wilson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
A very interesting topic this post.I too have the DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL(1951).Yes youre right steven nice crisp picture,but with one very large flaw.On my tv i have to watch it as 4x3 only;no 16x9 at all.Even my sony350 does not improve matters no matter what i do.I know the old 300 "fixed" auto.so my 16x9screen was filled.Andy.

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted May 03, 2009 08:03 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So Steve what VP was that going through and inputs etc, I`m still hoping to find out of I play BR through my old philips VP which has 3 colours in, how will that compare to std DVD, better or about the same as a good dvd.
My philips is XGA so 2.3 million pixels you never see, and it says it can do 1080i !!!!!
Anyone tried B,Ray through an older vp machine love to hear the comparison there compared to usual discs as if I go BR can`t afford to change my projector.

Best Mark.

Andrew Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 03, 2009 11:12 AM      Profile for Andrew Wilson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
Mark,Blu ray should work fine on your philips projector.Does it have com video;ie a red,green and blue phono type plugs?If so then youll get 1080i thru it.Its very good indeed.Andy.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC