8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » COMPUTER QUESTION

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: COMPUTER QUESTION
Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 07, 2009 07:19 PM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to ask this question even though it might be a dumb one. Because I'd like to be safe rather than sorry.

I have a small Tower based computer similiar to the E Machines model EL-1210-09 (google that for picture). Although it is designed as a smaller sized tower, it would actually be better at my setup if it was horizontal, rather than vertical.

My question is, would this be safe for the pc, motherboard, and other interior pieces.

We know a Tower is designed to be vertical likewise. But is it safe to lay it down. I've considered that it only has rubber feet on the bottom, and not on the side. But really, ins't that because it's supposed to stand up? I can build something to hold it laying down. I just want to know I won't kill the pc if I do this.

Thanks for any support.

CG

|  IP: Logged

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted May 07, 2009 09:39 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thats a good question, Chip.

On one side of the argument, as long as the any air-holes (for ventilation, as all PC's kick up a lot of heat) are not blocked, it may be safe.

However, Laying it sideways could interfere with the performance of the CD, DVD drives.

As you said, if they design it to sit straight up, its probably best that it stays that way.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Christopher Way
Film Handler

- posted May 09, 2009 11:45 AM      Profile for Christopher Way     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have tried this in the past for reasons of space. Although the PC itself works fine, ie, motherboards, cards etc, and as long as you keep fan and ventilation holes open. However, it does cause problems for the DVD drives etc as pointed out, such as drag, or slip.

The newer smaller desktops which have side on drivers are designed for this with more stabilisers etc.

Regards, Chris

Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 09, 2009 12:29 PM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chip,
If you need to reduce the height by turning a "tower" on it's side, have you considered re-casing it into a "desktop" case?
"Desktop" cases are not expensive, and accept most motherboards etc. The internal components have standard dimensions, so either style of case can be used.
Talk to your local "real" computer shop, or your local "Nerd". I built my own recently and horizontal layout was a requirement.

Martin

--------------------
Retired TV Service Engineer
Ongoing interest in Telecine....

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC