8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge DVD

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge DVD
Mark Norton
Master Film Handler

- posted June 04, 2009 02:35 PM      Profile for Mark Norton   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After seeing Ambrose Bierce's "An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge" in 16mm at the BFCC a few years back, and not being able to find an available copy on 8mm I decided to buy the DVD available new from America via EBay.
It starts with a notice that due to the age of the film scratches and neg dirt are unavoidable. Well this is the least of the problems as the DVD quality is so bad titles are unreadable, there is a sideways blur and solid objects are transparent. I would say that even the very worst 8mm prints are not as bad as this.
So what does one do with sub standard DVD's, should I return it to the seller or contact the manufacturer?

|  IP: Logged

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted June 04, 2009 02:37 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you bought it on Ebay, take it up with the seller. I f you paid with paypal you'll be able to get a refund.

Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 04, 2009 02:45 PM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark,sorry to hear of your disappointing DVD purchase. I have watched this on line and the quality is more than accepatable on you tube. However, keep looking on E-bay-US, as copies of this do appear on occasion.
I was bidding for one not so long ago and was beaten by our own Mr.Elmo (who better to lose to?). However, fortune smiled on both of us and Kevin found a good 16mm print and sold me the Super 8mm print, for the price he paid on E-bay.
It is the "Twilight Zone" edition complete with the sponsership adverts. The print quality is very good considering the material.
Best of luck sorting out the quality problem and with the search for it on "Reel Film".

[ June 05, 2009, 03:11 AM: Message edited by: Keith Ashfield ]

--------------------
"We'll find 'em in the end, I promise you. We'll find 'em. Just as sure as a turnin' of the earth".

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted June 04, 2009 05:04 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Mark, You know part of the story from Keith. I actually bought 3 copies on 16mm. The first had so much sprocket damage it was fit for the bin, the second was soot and whitewash and looked very dupey but the third was every bit as good as the one we saw at the BFCC if not cleaner. My 16mm copy is virtually pristine and of course is the complete film. The version released under the Twilight banner was actually shortened.

If you have a 16mm projector then I think that is the way to go.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 04, 2009 05:22 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Keith ...

What are the adverts on the this Twilight Zone episode on Super 8? That would be really cool on Super, as you would certainly have a full hour of classic TV! Most of the time, even on restored DVD versions of the Twilight Zone, you don't get the adverts.

I have seen indidvisual ads on Super 8 on ebay and I have always had the suspicion that someone owned a print of a classic TV show and, to pad thier profits, took the ads out, sold the TV show and then sold the ads seperately. Actually, in one case I knew that to be a fact.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 04, 2009 05:58 PM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Osi. The adverts are all for "Crest Toothpaste", who were the sponsers of the Twilight Zone episode.

--------------------
"We'll find 'em in the end, I promise you. We'll find 'em. Just as sure as a turnin' of the earth".

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 04, 2009 07:11 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks. me elder brother!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 04, 2009 08:40 PM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
its been a while since i have watched my 8mm copy would have to see it again to see if it had the ads.

--------------------
jim schrader
"Let's see “do I have that title already?"

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 05, 2009 03:07 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The 16mm copy we showed at the BFCC was loaned by the BFI. So well done for getting a copy as good as that Kevo. Now we know where to come when we want to stick it on again!

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted June 05, 2009 06:56 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
John, Your more than welcome to borrow it for another airing. I's a title which I think really left an impression on all those who watched it last time.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted June 05, 2009 07:18 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark, you should definitely try to contact the seller first.

Who would have thought back in the days that this strange French short film called "La Riviere du Hibou" would trigger such a cult following?
For those who are not aware of its history, the film was produced and shot in France by a French crew helmed by director Robert Enrico. It was shown at the Cannes Film Festival in 1962 and won a prize. This is apparently where one person of Rod Serling's staff would have spotted it. It also won an Oscar (best short film) and a BAFTA award. It was slightly shortened for its Twilight Zone treatment in order to accomodate Rod Serling's narration and the commercial breaks. It is strongly remembered by a lot of people for its artsy filmmaking and its lack of dialogues as it sur makes one very strange Twilight Zone episode.

I own a great super 8 print of it.

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC