8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » The Rose!!!! (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: The Rose!!!!
Mark Williams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 08, 2009 04:15 AM      Profile for Mark Williams   Email Mark Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The holy grail of 400ft's in on ebay!!!! LOL!!!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SUPER-8mm-Movie-THE-ROSE-Bette-Midler-Alan-Bates-VGC_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ65Q3a10Q7c66Q3a2Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1318Q7c301Q3a0Q7c293Q3a1Q7c294Q3a50QQ_trksi dZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem45ecf8c425QQitemZ300328469541QQptZUKQ5fDVDQ5fFilmQ5fTVQ5fOtherFormatsQ5fGLQQsalenotsupported

|  IP: Logged

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 08, 2009 05:25 AM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No 'roses' anymore... [Frown]

--------------------
I remember when I was (super) 8 years old...

Fabrizio Mosca
Master Film Handler

- posted July 08, 2009 07:29 AM      Profile for Fabrizio Mosca   Email Fabrizio Mosca   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Item number: 300328469541

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 08, 2009 07:32 AM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you Fabrizio. [Razz]

--------------------
I remember when I was (super) 8 years old...

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted July 08, 2009 10:48 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Guys,

I have been joining this forum since 2003.. but I missed the story behind our joke on this very title...

I saw many postings make a laugh on this, could you explain why? [Confused] [Razz]

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 08, 2009 10:51 AM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

--------------------
Retired TV Service Engineer
Ongoing interest in Telecine....

Mark Williams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 08, 2009 04:48 PM      Profile for Mark Williams   Email Mark Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Where did the rose go then??

Patrick Walsh
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 08, 2009 07:33 PM      Profile for Patrick Walsh   Email Patrick Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes I am also interested in knowing the "history" of this "THE ROSE" digest?????????
Pat [Confused]

--------------------
"Raise The Titanic!", It would of been cheaper to lower the Atlantic!

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted July 08, 2009 07:37 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It has become legendary and so much time has pasted that no one really knows the origins of it's birth. Perhaps Tony M. can shed light on this mystery [Big Grin] Sir Tony of Milman please step forward. [Big Grin]

There is also the legend of the Eupig. [Eek!]

Douglas Meltzer

- posted July 08, 2009 08:09 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I too want Mr. Milman to answer this one, but I have to point out that the running gag of "The Rose" started in the earlier version of this Forum (before the great server crash of May 2003). I believe we're coming up on the 7th anniversary of that particular joke.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 08, 2009 10:19 PM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if Ian still has the original [Big Grin]

--------------------
Joe Taffis

Mark Williams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 09, 2009 03:50 AM      Profile for Mark Williams   Email Mark Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert,

You might have to dig around to find the origins of this joke then,you may even come up smeling of roses...LOL!!!

Pardon the puns,just couldnt resist them!!!

A rose by any other name etc...

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted July 09, 2009 12:02 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So will all "Rose" reel have been faded to red prints or rose ???

[Wink]

winbert

--------------------
Winbert

Larry Arpin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 09, 2009 01:55 PM      Profile for Larry Arpin   Author's Homepage   Email Larry Arpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I seem to remember the trailer was available on super 8mm with the claymation Mt. Rushmore breaking up and revealing Bette Midler.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted July 09, 2009 02:20 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Larry,

Wasn't that the trailer for "Divine Madness"? A live in concert movie that starred Bette Midler on stage. It was quite a show. She had (has) an incredible amount of energy!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Larry Arpin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 09, 2009 05:22 PM      Profile for Larry Arpin   Author's Homepage   Email Larry Arpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're absolutely right, Osi.

Greg Marshall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 09, 2009 11:04 PM      Profile for Greg Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does someone need one of 'The Rose' digests? I have 287 of them on hand. Destined to be true collector items, right? LOL... (just kidding). While I really do love this film, I have to say that I do enjoy having my digest... and I have to say, the colors have not faded at all.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted July 10, 2009 07:30 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
and I have to say, the colors have not faded at all.
YES... probably because "Rose" was printed on rose colors so it won't fade (to any colors) at all... [Razz]

--------------------
Winbert

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted July 10, 2009 08:25 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In fact it was one of the last Ken releases and I was recently surprised to find that my copy is low fade Agfa, so it's probably one of the easiest Ken titles to find with good colour.

I can't recall what started the 'in joke' regarding this title, but anyone buying a print expecting a 'so bad it's good' film would be disappointed, as there's nothing awful about it, and as quite a bit of the running time is devoted to Bette M singing on stage, any fans of hers would find it money well spent.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 10, 2009 04:37 PM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dan me old china, how the devil are you Sir?

Well, I would like to say more about this but the lodge that met in Grandpa Ian's shed swore me to secrecy. It is true that Ian has the only original copies of this film. It is further true that I have never seen it. I was sadly not of high enough rolled trouser leg to be admitted to the worshipful grand master rose viewer. Sad but true.

Still, it has been so long since Ian's shed (airconditioned and thermfilmed) that i barely remember (Ian what ever happened to the promised BBQ? I assume the original copies of the rose were to be used as fuel?

Perhaps some of the Lightwater 5 can shed even more light on this. Come to think of it where are pex peckham, chris "tonka-toy" quinn, "meccano man and our very own "2-blade" Mr Elmo these days

Oh, anyone wnat a GS1200 with f1.0?

--------------------
Tony

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted July 10, 2009 04:52 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Tony.

Well, I guess that sums it up for the present, but like me I think everyone is still perplexed or something like that. [Big Grin] All the usual suspects have been mentioned; Ian, Tony, The Lightwater 5, Rosie and Bubbles, so the for the time being no stone will be unturned or no tern will be unstoned(how gullable can I get).

David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 12, 2009 08:18 PM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well this one is mine now. I think thanks to this thread it scared everyone else off! Nobody else bid.

Unless I am missing something, I am looking forward to this. I have actually been after it for years.

David

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 14, 2009 02:37 PM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was a member back then, before the big "CRASH", and I remember when the whole "ROSE" joke was very common on the forum.

If I'm not mistaking, I believe what started the joke was when it was listed on E-bay as being "very rare", and it had a high minimum bid.

Of course, we on the forum know that "The Rose" digest is not all that rare, and was commonly found, new and sealed, in many bargain bins, into the early 90's.

As for the digest itself, I agree with Adrian that its not a bad digest, and for Midler fans, its very entertaining (my wife really likes it).

My biggest dissapointment with the digest was that they didn't squeeze ANY of the title song into the digest. One or two verses over end credits would have been fine.

James.

David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 14, 2009 09:25 PM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That is crazy James, it's almsot the main reason I bought it!

So not even a few bars of The Rose in the entire 400ft?

It is like Xanadu where some of the major songs are missing too.

Even in both versions of Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World 400ft digests they manage to miss hte funniest part of the film where Sylvester dances....Derann even have a shot from the scene on the cover yet it is not in the digest; crazy!

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted July 15, 2009 07:12 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Derann digest also cuts out the very end where Ethel Merman walks into the prison ward nagging full blast, slips on a banana peel and falls flat on her behind.

I wasn't a Son-in-Law very long before this became my favorite scene in the history of Cinema!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC