8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » What is your favorite Laurel and Hardy Feature? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: What is your favorite Laurel and Hardy Feature?
Mark Williams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 21, 2009 02:50 PM      Profile for Mark Williams   Email Mark Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry just realised we are talking about features here,then it would be WAY OUT WEST!!

|  IP: Logged

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 21, 2009 10:20 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The NY Founding Tent of The Sons of the Desert,
had a public 35mm screening of Way Out West in a restored
Art Deco 1929 Movie House.

The crowd loved it and
when Stan replied that Mary Roberts'
father was dead, by saying: "well I hope so,
they buried him!" - the roar of laughter from the
audience, drowned out the next line in the film.

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted July 21, 2009 10:57 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like "Way out West" but I think that some of it is a little overplayed. Stan's whole "laugh attack" runs a little too long, (personal opinion), but it does have one of they're best dance routines, and I liked that "Trail of the Lonesome Pine".

I personally find musical numbers as distraction in comedies.
Perhaps that's why I like "Blockheads" so much. Even "Sons of the Desert" has that musical number in the middle of the film during the "convention scene" that seems like padding to me.

However, no one could take on a musical number like good ole
"Babe". Ollie had a wonderful singing voice. The story was quite similar for Groucho Marx. he put on his "wise-guy voice/persona" when he performed, and most people only heard that voice, but in some other recordings he did, he actually sang quite well.

By the way, I edited my review of "Blockheads", in case anyone would be interested.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 21, 2009 11:45 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi,
Sounds good to me.
Do you believe we become jaded,
when the film does not seem that fresh?

I know that given the opportunity to view
these features on a huge academy screen
and with an audience of 400 people,
these familiar shadows that flicker
will instead sparkle in a completely different
light.

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted July 22, 2009 08:02 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We never become 'jaded', else what need would there be for the SONS or Film Society Gatherings at all? - Good film, like any great art, is ever-appreciated no matter how many times you see, hear and watch it - That's the dumbest thing I've never said! - Shorty

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted July 22, 2009 09:28 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"That's the most rediculous thing I've evah hoid!"

quothe the Groucho!

well put, Shorty!

Sigh, it's too bad that short subject comedies are no longer released to theaters. I think the last one (or two) was when they released some Mr. Bean sketches to the theaters on 35MM. That's perhaps why I LOVE Mr. Bean. Though the humor only rarely falls into the cess-pool, (and always in a gentle way!), it is very much in the vein of the silent comedians.

Also, well put Micheal!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC