8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » MOVIE MEMORIES :-)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: MOVIE MEMORIES :-)
Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 16, 2009 06:01 PM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The following link is a jazz band performance with the late drummer Louis Bellson.

Listen and remember the movies at approx 14:05.

If you like big band drumming, this is a great solo. He does on the drums what some of us can do on the computer keyboard.

Can anybody here guess what is so special about 14:05? Regretfully, the original poster on youtube did not complete the video as it cuts off suddenly after 18 minutes.....

I'll post the answer in a few days. If Doug Meltzer sees this, I think he'll figure it out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54odm5e9Vpo&NR=1

~ CG ~

|  IP: Logged

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted July 16, 2009 06:25 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for posting that link Chip! I love great drummers.

It's been so frustrating for me as an artist. If I'm just whacking away, I'm fine. You put a metronome in from of me to follow in the recording studio, I couldn't get it right if my life depended on it!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted July 18, 2009 05:32 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Killer double-kick. This is an area I haven't quite mastered yet (I play drums too, Chip).

I don't see anything special apart from switching from sticks to brushes without any beat glitch.

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 18, 2009 03:48 PM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm waiting to see if Doug gets it. For the moment, I'll drop another hint.

In the solo at 14:05, isolate out everything about it EXCEPT the brush strokes and the high hat.

Now, think about the movies.

Answer on Wednesday the 22nd.

Douglas Meltzer

- posted July 19, 2009 10:16 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chip,

I feel like I've let you down! I've listened again & again but I can't place it.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 20, 2009 09:14 AM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Doug you're so funny.........

OK here it is

I saw this clip, and listened to the brush strokes and hi-hat. The way he combined these two was magnificent in such a way that only Louie Bellson could have done it.

Anyways, it DID make me think of the GENERAL CINEMA POLICY TRAILER that had the reels and projector which formed the logo. It was this kind of music when the words came out the lens and formed the message.

It might not have been exact, but yes, it brought back fond movie memories.

For reference, see the link below. You can also search the general yak section for THEATER LOGO'S FROM THE 70'S regarding past discussion on this logo. And past discussion is why I thought Doug would get this!

http://www.scripophily.net/gencimcor.html

:-) [Big Grin]

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC