8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Another Old Cinema Surviving

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Another Old Cinema Surviving
Dan Lail
Film God

- posted July 24, 2009 11:56 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I drove through a small town in Georgia and found an old Movie Theatre still open and looking good.

This is in Thomson Georgia near Harlem. Harlem is the birthplace of Oliver Hardy:

-
 -
 -

|  IP: Logged

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted July 25, 2009 03:16 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did you go in? Take a look in the booth? It'd be interesting to know what they run in there.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted July 25, 2009 01:57 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hope that the big poster saying "Notice" wasn't informing the public that the theater was closing down. That would be rather sad!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 25, 2009 07:16 PM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What a nice place it seems to be, Dan. Cannot remember when 'twas the last time I've seen such a similar paradise here in Italy [Frown] .

--------------------
I remember when I was (super) 8 years old...

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted July 25, 2009 08:02 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't get a chance to go inside. Pretty sure it was not open for the day. The sign says "Ticket prices are now $5.00. All seats. All shows. All ages. Cash only".

Gian, it does bring up memories from the past. Back then theaters had individual character. I'll bet Italy has preserved a few old cinemas, right?

Funny thing, while I was across the street clicking photos, there was woman sweeping out the doorway of her store and she actually said "hello":-) You don't get that sort of attitude here in the metro area:-(

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 25, 2009 08:28 PM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, we actually have only one here in Romeo and Juliet's city. They began to close down 10 years ago. And, one by one, they all did.
Probably there are some here and there all around Italy, but multiplex is the reality we all know, nowadays. A few seats, pop corn smell everywhere and not so many people laughing, screaming or sighing.

I remember the very first time I went to the cinema as it was yesterday. With all my family (4 brothers, mam and dad) to see a cartoon. Everything seemed to be so big, so dark. The cinema looked huge, full of heads, and I was so excited in front of that giant screen. Good memories.

And, Dan, nice to read about a sweeping lady saying 'hello' in front of her store.
The very last time I took a picture of a nice and interesting place was in Spain some weeks ago. While doing, someone bumped into me. And I did not hear any 'I'm sorry'.

It's good to read good stories here.
It doesn't matter where they take place.
It's good for our hearts.

--------------------
I remember when I was (super) 8 years old...

Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 29, 2009 10:02 AM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have just returned from a holiday in Cornwall. Whilst there we visited Padstow and found a cinema called "The Cinedrome".

-

There was a plaque on the wall that explained that the cinema was originally opened in 1919 as a Music Hall and Theatre and was changed to a cinema in 1924.

-

-

It has been operated by the WTW Cinema Group since 1947 and has been renovated in the last few years and re-named "The Cinedrome", after being called "The Capitol" for 25 years. It has 153 luxury seat and is fitted with Dolby Digital Sound and has an "enlarged screen".

-

The cinema is only operated during the Summer season and school holidays. The latest "Harry Potter" film was being screened whist we we there last week.

I just wish we had found the time to actually go in for a screening.

P.S. There is a very nice pub right next door, called "The London Inn" (We didn't find time to go in there, either! I must be getting old?)

--------------------
"We'll find 'em in the end, I promise you. We'll find 'em. Just as sure as a turnin' of the earth".

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted July 29, 2009 01:11 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thats a wonderful looking little cinema, Keith. I wonder how much business it does there??

Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 29, 2009 01:57 PM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was a pleasant find Michael.

With only 150 seats available, it probably does more trade, pro-rata, than most single screens at some of the large multiplex cinemas.

When we went to our local "multi" to see Indiana Jones 4, the first week on release, I estimated that the auditorium was about 30% full.

The "multis" do not have the atmosphere that the "old proper" cinemas used to have. Then it was all about "showmanship". Now it's about how many cartons of "cardboard" popcorn and how many litres of Coca-Cola (or a poor substitute) they can sell.

It's called "progress" - so I'm told. [Confused]

--------------------
"We'll find 'em in the end, I promise you. We'll find 'em. Just as sure as a turnin' of the earth".

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted July 29, 2009 02:19 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Absolutely correct. I agree.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC