8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Caution and advice on ebay ... (Page 4)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Caution and advice on ebay ...
Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted August 09, 2009 02:43 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi, give it up - it's not an interesting read. With all respect, it's nonsense. Nobody in their right mind is ever going to take a chance on snipe bidding without limit.

John,
I've checked in CI - the only thing anywhere in the Classifieds is www.gavelsnipe.com - Is this who you are referring to? This is just a normal sniping outfit. You have to enter your maximum bid. It does not simply keep on bidding until it tops every other bid.
The advantage of sniping as opposed to just entering your maximum bid at the start? - You don't "show your hand" until the final seconds, thus hopefully preventing the price being driven up.

|  IP: Logged

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted August 09, 2009 05:01 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Osi I think you have just invented a posting system to see how far temperatures go up.

I`am at a bit of a loss here why people are so concerned over what Osi thinks.

Say what you like politely, ponder what you like,and Osi always puts things in a nice firendly and open way.

Best Mark.

Glenn Brady
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 09, 2009 07:33 AM      Profile for Glenn Brady   Author's Homepage   Email Glenn Brady   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark wrote, "I`am at a bit of a loss here why people are so concerned over what Osi thinks. Say what you like politely, ponder what you like,and Osi always puts things in a nice firendly and open way."

Re-read what Osi wrote earlier:

"If I win something, then it's a legitimate win. If I lose on an auction, then that is fine, as long as I played fair. Bid sniping is really not playing fair. It's like the person as a child, (and you still see it as adults) when a person cuts in line. Everyone gets pissed at the arrogant S.O.B. who just thinks because he can get away with something, then that makes it O.K.

Now, of course, that person, who will cut in line, will suddenly feel that he has been wronged is someone cuts in front of him! Oh boy, he'll get really pissed, but hey, it's O.K. to cut in front of all those other people who played by the rules.

The bid sniper is the person cutting in line. Can you get away with it? Yes? Does that make it right? No.

"We'll OSI, we don't live in a perfect world, so that makes it O.K.

Every time we say this, we're allowing ourselves to slide, as a society, just that much closer to the precipice, inches away from falling off the edge, and then, as were falling, having the nerve to look surprised ... "Duh, how did we come to this?"

"Cutting in line (sniping) is A-O.K. because I can get away with it"

"Drinking and driving is A-O.K., because I can get away with it."

(tell that to a friend of mine who had they're four year old smeared into the pavement a year ago.)

... and the depravity goes on and on."

This is nice and friendly? Osi didn't know what he was talking about (as he's now admitted) and yet he accused those of us who snipe as being arrogant S.O.B. cheaters on a par with drunk drivers. You expect no one to react to this nonsense?

[ August 09, 2009, 09:15 AM: Message edited by: Glenn Brady ]

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted August 09, 2009 07:47 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi I did miss that line, but what I was getting at was Osi as far as I read, unless I missed soemthing else didn`t direct anything towards anyone on here.

I do think Ebay only adresses things taht hurt them, not others.
When I was ripped off completly to the tune of £100 they even kept the Fee,s, as it seems they tend to.
Thats effectively the wronged buyers money and holding on to it in even very blatant cases is a sort of theft in itself.

Best Mark.

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted August 09, 2009 08:08 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
See - This is one reason I'm constantly for a meeting (garthering) of us collectors at a show, where we can talk alot of topics through and through - Keep it in mind, Shorty

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted August 09, 2009 12:43 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Shorty,

Come on over to the BFCC in October - a lot of us are to be found there.
It would be nice to meet you.

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted August 09, 2009 01:04 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi wrote.....

quote:
A person who says that sniper bidding isn't a bad thing, would raise hell if someone else sniped them, plain and simple.
I have been outbid and out sniped many times, But was not upset about it. I never raised "hell" about it. Being outbid is too be expected some times.

quote:
I wasn't that upset about "snipers". It appears that snipers are a rather touchy bunch. Merely stating an opinion about something doesn't mean your whiney or some other less regal wording concerning it. It's merely an opinion.
Osi, you were upset about snipers. Your analogies showed that. Your opinions display your views. Your views on sniping show your are irritated ("raise hell")when being outbid by a sniper.

quote:
Bear in mind that I am not the only person who feels this way and actually, if you look at ebay's regulations, they frown on this as well.
Just because many share the same opinions does not make those opinions logical or correct. One person can be right and 1000 people can be wrong. In this case I am reading many logical opinions showing that sniping on Ebay is a good bidding strategy. Please show where Ebay's regulations frown on sniping.

In a live auction they do say "going once, going twice, sold" before bring the gavel down. this gives people a last chance in the last few seconds to place another bid.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted August 09, 2009 01:56 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dan ...

ThanX for your opinion. It turned out, at the end of all of this, that I was wrong as to what a sniping program is. The kind of program I was talking about is what Winbert was relating to in that new post he has started.

So what I was ticked off about, turned out to not be a snipe program at all. Hey I learned something! (proof that I'm not too old).

I was fascinated at how "impassioned" folks can become about things, (hey, we figured out who snipes ... hee hee).

It turns out we only hear from some people if they get riled up, but at least we heard from some largely, new people. More discussion means more knowledge. After all, I learned something!

ThanX, by the way, for those who came to my "aid", much appreciated. My opinion is no better than anyone elses.

... but I will always do my best to err on the side of fairness.
YEP! There's that word again!

YAY! On with the onslaught!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted August 09, 2009 02:37 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi,

So what has been happening is you have been outbid fair and square as they say. [Razz]

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted August 09, 2009 04:31 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like that is so, though I never said that this was the case in this particular situation.

It is interesting how much this series of posts has morphed. It reminds me of the "telephone" game from our childhood. One starts the circle saying, perhaps, "My computer is on the fritz" and by the time it gets completely around the circle, it becomes, "Pie is best produced by Hans and Fritz!", or something along those lines.

Along with identifying the difference between snipe bidding and this other program, i do know the difference between the two.
Snipe bidding seems a little un-necessary, unless you wouldn't be available for the end of an auction.

Though I have no evidence to the contrary, I have heard that the program which has been earlier described, does exist.

By the way, that statement I made about ebay's reply to me wasn't a matter of policy, they just stated in a private e-mail to me from somebody behind the scenes, (who works for and at ebay), was that they personally frown upon the use of snipe bidding. As far as I know, they have no actual policy against it. Maybe it's because of just what I exampled on this series of posts.

Little is known about snipe bidding and therefore it seems that it is more the mystery of the "snipe" than the presence of sniping. As one of the other people who has posted on this has said, if ebay is still profiting by the use of the snipe, they aren't going to stop it.

Honestly, i see no need to stop it.

... and now, back to the projector!

--------------------

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted August 09, 2009 07:33 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, now I give up...I think. But first...no, not but first. I'll just exit backwards so no one will notice.

Hello, I must be going
I cannot stay
I came to say
I must be going
I’m glad I came
But just the same
I must be going... Ta-Ta!

[Smile]

John W. Black
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 09, 2009 07:54 PM      Profile for John W. Black   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Found something interesting www.hugesettlemants.com

--------------------
Beat em or burn em,they go up pretty quick

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted August 09, 2009 08:14 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Adios, Mi Amigo Lail!

I must be going too!

--------------------

David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 10, 2009 01:46 AM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A couple of things.......

Whoever bids the highest on ebay wins, software or not.

I will say that on an item that I am desperate to own, say a 200ft short that I have been after for years I will bid high. Its real value could be around $20 - $40. If I really want it I may bid $250+ just in case there is another person as crazy as I am to grab it.

Guess what, even when I have done this I have still lost an auction! I missed out on two 8 minute shorts recently with bids of hundreds of dollars on each. Someone just wanted them more than me.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC