8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Advice on the best 35MM film for use in photography.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Advice on the best 35MM film for use in photography.
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted August 04, 2009 01:12 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's an easy question ... (hopefully).

I want to take some old school portraits of my family. I'm going to use a classic Topcon 35MM Camera, (magnificent lense on that baby!), and I'm wondering what would be the best 35MM film to use for this venture. I'm going to use it for some really nice portraiture.

I thank you for your time.

Osi

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted August 04, 2009 01:36 PM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Colour or B&W?

In my 135 shooting days (I had a pair of Minolta SRT100), I was always favouring Ilford FP4 and HP5 for B&W.

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted August 04, 2009 04:47 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There was an interesting Fuji film that I heard of as well, but I don't know if it is still made. It was made for photography, but one feature was shot with film, "What Dreams May Come", (which I have always been fond of). I think it's called "Fuji Velvia".

Thank you for your reply.

--------------------

Joerg Polzfusz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 05, 2009 05:51 AM      Profile for Joerg Polzfusz   Author's Homepage   Email Joerg Polzfusz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
slide-film or film for prints?

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted August 05, 2009 09:00 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Film for prints.

--------------------

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 05, 2009 10:11 AM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fuji has the best range left of choices of print films in 35mm:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=search&A=search&Q=&sb=ps&sq=desc&sortDrop=Relevance&ac=&bsi=&bhs=t&shs=fujifilm+film&ci=330&basicSubmit=Submit+Query

We have used both their slide and negative films and they are superb. I think the 160 would be good for fine-grain portraits for you.

Claus.

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted August 05, 2009 03:45 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
160! Thank you very much Claus!

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC