8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Umit and Sons

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Umit and Sons
Mikael Barnard
Film Handler

- posted August 07, 2009 02:55 PM      Profile for Mikael Barnard   Email Mikael Barnard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all. Just wanted to relate my experience of visiting Umit and Sons last weekend
(http://8mmforum.film-tech.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=003805#000000)
What a fab guy! What this chap doesn't know about Chinese cinema you could write on the back of a postage stamp and what an amazing stock, stacks of old projectors, film of (nearly) all gauges and decidedly market value but still very reasonable prices. He was a pleasure to talk to and his stock is second to none, suggest anyone who can make a visit to see his shop some time does so, you will NOT be disappointed! Got myself a(n unfortunately rather colour-variable) print of the Derann release of The Devil Rides Out for £60. Just totally amazing though, go see him but don't expect to walk out as rich as you went in though! [Smile]

|  IP: Logged

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted August 07, 2009 03:23 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Would anyone who lives in England be willing to check with Umit and Son to see if he happens to have "Popeye Meets Ali Baba"? Hey, sometimes what you need pops up in the strangest places!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted August 07, 2009 04:38 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I keep meaning to visit that place.

One of these days.

Steven J Kirk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 07, 2009 06:46 PM      Profile for Steven J Kirk   Email Steven J Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
'Open, says me! Yuk yuk yuk...' I think that's what he says. Popeye, not Umit, I mean.

--------------------
VistaVision
Motion Picture High-Fidelity

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted August 07, 2009 06:54 PM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Waiting for a job in London to resume as the offices are like one tube stop away from Umit's. Never had the chance to visit the place because of conflictual schedules.

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Paul Spinks
Master Film Handler

- posted August 07, 2009 10:17 PM      Profile for Paul Spinks   Email Paul Spinks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He is ever such a nice man and it amazes me how he gets so much film stuff into his shop which primarily sells sweets. He is really a collector rather than a dealer and he loves all things celluloid and particularly martial arts movies. I bought some horror and monster features off him the last time I was there and I saw a 16mm print of "The Legend of the 7 Golden Vampires" which I offered to buy but he couldn't sell it to me as he likes the film so much. I must pay him a visit again as there is always something to buy and it's great to chat with someone who is so enthusiastic about films.

Paul.

Bart Smith
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 07, 2009 10:18 PM      Profile for Bart Smith   Author's Homepage   Email Bart Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Umit's shop isn't (as yet) on the Tube network...

Should be connected to the new "Overground" in time for the 2012 Olympics.

Whereabouts is the office Jean-Marc? Doesn't sound like the most glamorous posting in the world if the office is that close to Clapton!

--------------------
www.bluecinetech.co.uk

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted August 08, 2009 01:27 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry about the tube confusion. The architect office where I do some consulting is on Kingsland Green, and that's one stop away on the overground from Hackney Central. Indeed, it's not glamorous, but at least, it's alive, vivid, full of nice little restaurants.
And less than half an hour from St Pancras, which, most of the times allows me to be back in Paris at night.

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 08, 2009 02:59 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Years ago we walked round there from our home in Russell Square. It's not far from there so must be very close to other tube stations.

Went round to see them because they had a stall at the convention and told me about their shop.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Bart Smith
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 08, 2009 05:42 AM      Profile for Bart Smith   Author's Homepage   Email Bart Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John, it must be a 4 or 5 mile walk from Russell Square to Umit's shop! Are you sure you're not thinking of somewhere else?

Jean-Marc: It is really very close to where you work in Dalston, plenty of buses go that way: 38, 277 etc. etc. It would probably only be a 15 min brisk walk even to get to Umit's place.

PS The Dim-Sum restaurant up Kingsland road (can't remember the name) is very good!

--------------------
www.bluecinetech.co.uk

Brian Hendel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 08, 2009 06:01 AM      Profile for Brian Hendel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can someone post detailed instructions on the easiest way to get to Umit's shop? I want to drop in when I go to London in October for the Ealing convention. I don't mind walking a bit if necessary.

Bart Smith
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 08, 2009 06:42 AM      Profile for Bart Smith   Author's Homepage   Email Bart Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brian:

Whereabouts in London are you staying?

Ealing and Clapton are quite a long way away from each other!

Umit's is a few mins walk from Hackney Central Rail Station (not on the 'Underground' network as such).

Last time I was at Ealing I saw Umit there, so there is clearly a possibility that if Ealing is on the shop might be closed....

--------------------
www.bluecinetech.co.uk

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 08, 2009 07:17 AM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brian

Let us know when you are going to be in London and where you're staying. We should try and meet up for a pint of warm beer and one of Mrs Lovetts Pies - wouldn't mind making the pilgrimage to Umits shop myself too...

Mike [Cool]

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 08, 2009 08:22 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
4 or 5 miles is nothing for me Bart. Used to walk to work in Battersea from Russell Square for a couple of years and then later did a 9 year stint to Paddington every day. It's surprising how close everything is once you get into walking.

Umit haven't had a stall at the convention for years now so I doubt they'll be there in October. However, they often come along to purchase stock so it's worth checking with them. You may also find one of them helping out on Ray Bruno's stall.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Bart Smith
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 08, 2009 08:54 AM      Profile for Bart Smith   Author's Homepage   Email Bart Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I remember that Ray Bruno's stall had some "interesting" items last time I was at Ealing. Next time I'm up in Walthamstow I'll try and look him up, does anyone know exactly where his shop or whatever he has up there is?

--------------------
www.bluecinetech.co.uk

Brian Hendel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 08, 2009 10:59 AM      Profile for Brian Hendel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Mike - I'll be in London just for a long weekend...october 16-19. Haven't booked a hotel yet. I usually do that at the last minute. I will let you know my plans.

Mikael Barnard
Film Handler

- posted August 08, 2009 06:07 PM      Profile for Mikael Barnard   Email Mikael Barnard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Glad more people seem to be inspired to go, you won't be disappointed! As a small aside some people have noted, as did I, that occasionally he does have prints on the shelf he doesn't want to sell but I think we can forgive him this little detail considering his shop is stocked to the rafters and there isn't really anywhere else he can put it all. Some of it, particularly the martial arts stuff, really is more for display but most of what he has he is happy to part with at the right price though. As for directions the easiest way is to use the map in the time-out article (see the link in my first post) but it's really easy- Hackney Central and 'round a couple of corners. Even I managed to find it so it's not that tough! Happy shopping!

Brian Hendel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 09, 2009 03:29 PM      Profile for Brian Hendel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's OK that he won't part with his martial arts stuff... that's the last genre that really interests me anyway! I'm just hoping he's got some old horror stuff he can part with. I will look for that Time Out post with directions. I have a couple months to figure it out.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC