8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » "An Ebay program/software" that could Osi mean

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: "An Ebay program/software" that could Osi mean
Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted August 08, 2009 07:50 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi folks,

I don't write this in the previous thread: Caution and advice on ebay ...

because it will keep shifting the topic from shill bidding to snipping and then to another topic. So I just decided to make a new thread instead.

Osi and John mentioned the "program/software" that can bid automatically $1 higher from the highest bidder (so there is no necessary to put an outrageous bid).

I would say there is no SUCH program.... but I can reveal THERE IS a way to do that....

But before explaining this, I want to show (especially to John Black) that I have no bad intention to Osi. This is simply to help him understand, especially this Ebay issue is not the first he expressed, but at least (by a quick search) I found these 2 similar topics started by Osi:

1. Rigged auctions on ebay?

2. An ebayer to avoid ...

And we can see many forum members are trying to help Osi to understand Ebay this similar issue.

Now back to "program/software" that previously mentioned...

This can be a software, but can also manually done by an Ebayer with several IDs.

If he is watching an item and found there is another ebayer has placed a bid.... he can place a bid to outbid that higher bidder with an outrageous amount then .... RETRACT it (with any reason).

By doing this he can see what was the max bid of the previous higher bidder.

Then.... with another Ebay ID he can bid at normal bid to outbid that seller.

That was my brother's experience a year ago when he retracted his and suddenly he could see the previously higher bidder was.

However, Ebay still has rules about bid retraction and I don't know if the same rules still apply. Read they FAQ section here.

But for sure, it can be only done prior 1 hours to the end of auction. So can't be used against the sniper.

To sum up, it can work only for non-attractive items (not many people are interested, so no sniper)

and secondly.... it is not fair (that is why Ebay limits the retraction for one ID within 6 months).

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

|  IP: Logged

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted August 09, 2009 02:36 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Winbert.

So, there is no software that will automatically increase your bid unless you place a bid limit. right?

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted August 09, 2009 06:11 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes that's right Dan.... there is no software at all.

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

John W. Black
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 09, 2009 08:14 PM      Profile for John W. Black   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe not,but check this out. www.hugesettlements.com
So much for pure as the driven snow

--------------------
Beat em or burn em,they go up pretty quick

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted August 09, 2009 08:35 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John,

That's pretty weird. A link to a Personal Injury Lawyers website. Sounds like some serious sniping must have happened. [Eek!] I don't get the correlation. [Confused]

John W. Black
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 09, 2009 11:54 PM      Profile for John W. Black   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
there is an article there on an ebay scam that cost art dealers thousands.Dan,I'm just trying to say be careful,I'll NEVER understand why by trying to help others by alerting them of possible irregularities,I get a hard time,If you really want brass tacks,once when I got ripped off on ebay and figured out how they did it,I spent four hours with the online ebay guy,who finally said that not only what I said was probably what happened,but that ebay had absolutly no recourse for the scam.Be glad to tell you if you want.I like buying from time to time there,glad it's there,BUT,buyer beware.

--------------------

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted August 10, 2009 02:43 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John,

if you are talking this article:

http://www.hugesettlements.com/Personal-Injury/939.html

then that what I exactly say above, i.e. Bid retraction (cancellation). So by doing this, the bidder can see what the previously highest bid was.

The Ebay regulations says:

Taken from http://pages.ebay.com/help/buy/bid-retract.html

quote:
(Can we retract the bid for an) Auction ends in less than 12 hours: Yes, but only if you retract the bid within one hour of placing it
and

quote:
Bids retracted within the last 24 hours of a listing can be viewed as an example of shill bidding, which is a serious violation of eBay policy
So what the above article says that is a form of shill bidding, something that we all agree to say here that is an unfair act.

The article doesn't blame it on the sniper it self (something that we discussed with Osi in the other thread).

Anyway, thanks for your warning, but not everybody here (at least myself) cannot attend the film conventions, meeting with other collectors or such as, due to the individual reasons.

And Ebay can fill our needs because we can still grow our hobby (not only films) without need to visit fleas market etc. And most important, we can do while we are working.... :-)

--------------------
Winbert

John W. Black
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 10, 2009 08:01 PM      Profile for John W. Black   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh well,leaving the house and going to flea markets etc.,is one of the really fun parts of collecting.If my only source of film was online I'd really be bored stiff.

--------------------

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted August 11, 2009 02:23 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've quite often seen Super 8 prints turn up at flea markets in the UK here, but, I've yet to see a 16mm print anywhere.

Incidentally I was in Brick Lane a few weeks back and noticed a bunch of still sealed Super 8 prints for sale at one of the indoor markets there. They may still be there if anyones in the area. I didn't notice anyone rushing to buy them.

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted August 11, 2009 08:10 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What were they? I'm not in the neighborhood, but would appreciate knowing if what I'm after is out there, Michael - Cheers, Shorty

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted August 11, 2009 08:41 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I seem to remember some Castles and a French Connection digest. Otherwise I'm not certain.

Steve Sigel was with me at the time - he may chime in if he remembers any others.

-Mike

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC