8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Retro TV

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Retro TV
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted August 12, 2009 04:12 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's a new channel we've been getting and it's called "Retro TV" a whole channel filled with all the shows we fondly remember from years ago and hey, without cable!

The reason why I brought it up is I have been a great number of the 60's episodes of, for instance "One Adam 12", "Dragnet" and others that have badly faded prints as they're source material that have an obvious filter put on the print.

The source material is obviously 35MM, but I wonder if some of these shows have been lost forever in vintage color because the original source material was stored on the infamous eastman stock.

A real shame. Some episodes are so laughable in they're fade that it's downright embarrassing to see on the screen.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

Kurt Gardner
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 12, 2009 05:10 PM      Profile for Kurt Gardner   Author's Homepage   Email Kurt Gardner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm. Those are both Universal shows and that studio takes pretty meticulous care of its original elements (I used to do publicity for them).

Probably Retro TV has a small budget and is using old analog transfers from 16mm syndication prints (the kind collectors buy now)!

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 13, 2009 05:52 PM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Retro" is fun. I go for "The Alfred Hichcock Hour" at midnight.
Plus, with that show, you don't have to worry about color fade [Big Grin]

Claus.

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted August 13, 2009 06:22 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's only one VERY annoying aspect to it. Retro has nothing to do with it. The local affiliate will cut in for commercials, which is natural. After all, the shows have to be paid for ...

... but they'll often cut into the show to the tune of six minutes of commercials right after the beginning credits run, and they then cut back into the episode a good three or more minutes into the episode.

We were watching Night Gallery last Sunday night, and it was the one with Vincent Price, no less! Sure enough, the beginning credits rolled, lasting less than 30 seconds. That was 7:00 o clock.

It cut back into the episode at 7:07!

Its even more annoying as I can't find the damned phone book to complain! Grrrr! What a travesty top cut off the great Vincent Price!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC