8mm Forum
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Anyone know who Ebays dwg1000 is (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Anyone know who Ebays dwg1000 is
Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted August 16, 2009 10:11 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
He had a film listed for £99 on ebay but unfortunately I missed the end of the auction. It didnt sell so he relisted it at £110 so I asked the question why the price hike and he just replied saying that If I wanted it to bid on it, do so because if it doesn't sell he's selling it to someone who has offered him £125. Now surely if that person exists he would also bid and possibly get it at the lower price?

Is this a ploy to make sales I wonder? [Eek!]

Kev.

[ August 16, 2009, 06:15 PM: Message edited by: Kevin Faulkner ]

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

|  IP: Logged

Phillip Black
Junior

- posted August 16, 2009 11:25 AM      Profile for Phillip Black   Email Phillip Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe that he has put up his prices after eBay got a complaint about him overcharging for postage. As for someone wanting the film for 125 etc I would assume that this was not the case.

--------------------
Phillip Black

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted August 16, 2009 12:46 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thats David Guest.

I've never bought from him though he has bought from me in the past and my dealings with him were fine.

However, I know of one other collector who has had a pretty terrible time with him.

-Mike

David Erskine
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 16, 2009 04:48 PM      Profile for David Erskine   Email David Erskine   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David's OK - just bear in mind that he is also a fairground man (runs rides) and - like most of us - is fairly set in his ways. I've done lots of deal with him (both on eBay and at Blackpool) and he's always been fine.
Cheers, David E

--------------------
I've NEVER let failure go to MY head!

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted August 16, 2009 04:53 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
but unfortunately I missed the end of the auction
Kev, you probably didn't miss the end of auction but he ended the auction early due to the complain about his high shipping cost. Then he re-listed with a new price with all cost absorp to hi starting price.

ps: I saw that now we cannot see the different between someone ends the auction early with and an auction ended on time. Because in the history page of the auction, there is no any info about the starting time and length of the auction.

Before the old Ebay (long time ago) had this history, so everyone ended the auction early could be seen if the length of the auction did not correspondence with the end of auction.

--------------------
Winbert

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted August 16, 2009 05:59 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Well I really dont understand the guy. He sent me a mail (via ebay) saying that if I bid on it he would include the shipping in the cost. He seems to forget that the auction has another 7 days to run.

This is what I got from him this evening:

"i noticed you have not placed a bid on film even when i have offered free post which makes it the nearer the same as last time if notplaced a bid in 48 hours i know you dont want it and the free post will not apply" (text copied and pasted from his reply to me)

Now what sort of dealings is this? I would have thought that he would have closed the auction if he had an offer for £125 (when it didnt sell last time) but instead he wants ME to bid on it! Does he have a method of pushing the price up?

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted August 16, 2009 06:10 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He just simply want to see his auction runs. If you have placed the bid, he has an assurance that his film will sell at least at the starting price. He hopes that with your bid there will be a bid wars with another ebayer.

I think it is still fair enough... remember a saying "early bird gets worms".

If I were you, Kev, I'll place my bid and if no one outbid me, I can ask a free postage as he mentioned. And that will be the same cost if you won at his firs listings, won't it?

--------------------
Winbert

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted August 16, 2009 06:18 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes possibly you are right. I have asked him what the hell he thinks he's playing at so maybe he will now not want to deal. The thing is that I have asked this guy twice to describe the film condition in more detail and that has not been forthcoming [Frown]

I have now left a bid so lets see what happens!

Kev.

--------------------

Paul Spinks
Master Film Handler

- posted August 16, 2009 07:53 PM      Profile for Paul Spinks   Email Paul Spinks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am presently trying to find out why he has not posted a 16mm film out to me which I paid for instantly as soon as I won it on 4th August. I sent him an email to which he has not responded so I will send him another and if he does not reply to that one I will start a PayPal dispute. I had a similar experience with him a few years back and he refunded the money after I eventually contacted him via ebay. I think if his films do not do as well as he hopes in the auction (I was the only bidder on both occasions) he doesn't send them out but only refunds the money if you get on to him. I certainly will not be dealing with him again.

Paul.

Steven J Kirk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 16, 2009 08:15 PM      Profile for Steven J Kirk   Email Steven J Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wasn't he married to Liza Minnelli?

--------------------
VistaVision
Motion Picture High-Fidelity

Paul Spinks
Master Film Handler

- posted August 16, 2009 08:40 PM      Profile for Paul Spinks   Email Paul Spinks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's him. [Wink]

Steven Sigel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 16, 2009 08:54 PM      Profile for Steven Sigel   Email Steven Sigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
About a year and a half ago - I bought a very expensive print from him (paid about $750 including shipping to the US). A month or so went by and I kept asking about it. He finally claimed to have shipped it - but by uninsured surface mail (I asked and paid for insured airmail) - his claim was that it cost more than he thought for shipping so he had decided to use surface. He should have either just sent it air mail and paid the additional expense (although based on what other dealers have charged from the UK, I think what I sent was quite enough), or at very least he should have contacted me and asked for the difference.

I never received the print at all.

When I questioned him on it he sent me a scan of a receipt (which could have been for anything) and refused to do anything about it.

So either a) he did really ship it surface and it got lost (in which case he should have at least offered to refund some of the money since it was his fault it went surface - he had originally listed the print for 99 pounds on ebay and I had paid something like 350 pounds - so he had plenty of room to refund say half the money and still would have made more than his original asking price) or b) he never sent it at all.

This is the largest loss I have ever suffered in my 20 years of film collecting.

Greg Marshall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 16, 2009 10:43 PM      Profile for Greg Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Seriously... this is Liza's ex?

Steve, that's wrong of him to take it upon himself to choose not to ship something insured, when you paid for insurance. That is fraud, and PayPal/Ebay should have investigated. He broke the terms of the agreement you had, and he should have been made to refund all of your money. I'd be hot as hell over this if this had happened to me!

OK, stepping down of my box now.

Paul Spinks
Master Film Handler

- posted August 16, 2009 11:39 PM      Profile for Paul Spinks   Email Paul Spinks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Liza Minnelli's ex is a different David Guest who has no connection with this ebay seller.

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted August 17, 2009 03:23 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting. I have had a couple of private emails suggesting this character can be a bit dodgy. We will see.

Steve, Why didnt you do something about trying to recover some of your money if not all? I wouldnt have let him get away with that.

Kev.

--------------------

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted August 17, 2009 06:21 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've noticed that on some of his listings he says that if you pay using Paypal it may be two weeks before the film is shipped???
I thought one of the benefits of instant payment was quick shipping.

Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 17, 2009 07:12 AM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Quote from listing -

"POSTAGE WILL BE £12.00 UK RATE ONLY.PLEASE NOTE IF YOU PAY WITH PAYPAL FILM WILL NOT BE SENT UNTIL PAYPAL TRANSACTION GOES INTO MY BANK ACCOUNT WHICH USUALLY TAKE 2 WEEKS APROX ALSO FILM IS TO BE FULLY INSURED AND THERE WILL BE A £5.00 AS WELL AS POSTAGE CHARGE IN CASE FILM GETS LOST"

So the postage is actually £17.00?? [Frown]

I reckon the "Paypal transaction taking two weeks" bit is the time it can take Paypal to transfer the funds into the sellers Bank Account.

He sounds "a trusting sort of fellow".....? [Confused]

--------------------
"We'll find 'em in the end, I promise you. We'll find 'em. Just as sure as a turnin' of the earth".

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted August 17, 2009 08:11 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Normally it only takes PayPal 4 - 5 working days to transfer funds to a bank account and very often it's quicker than this.

--------------------

Paul Spinks
Master Film Handler

- posted August 17, 2009 08:21 AM      Profile for Paul Spinks   Email Paul Spinks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
These new terms and conditions were added to the auction on 16th August, probably after he received the emails about this film. As of yet I have received absolutely no response whatsoever to my 2 messages concerning my films non arrival. I'll keep you up to date as to how this issue progresses.

Paul.

Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 17, 2009 08:31 AM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's true Kevin. I think he is just "edging his bets" with the "two weeks" ploy (Are yes, Kato - the old two weeks ploy?).

I thought that money that is paid into your Paypal account, from a buyer, was "guaranteed"? Doesn't the money have to be available from some source or another, before Paypal consider the transaction complete? If so, what's the problem? Other than a delaying tactic, prior to posting and what anyone would gain from that, I have no idea?

Once the goods are sold, paid for, then why not despatch them quickly? To quote "compare the meerkat" - "Simples".

--------------------
"We'll find 'em in the end, I promise you. We'll find 'em. Just as sure as a turnin' of the earth".

Paul Spinks
Master Film Handler

- posted August 17, 2009 11:05 AM      Profile for Paul Spinks   Email Paul Spinks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good News! I received an email this afternoon from dwg1000 saying that he had replied to my first email (I searched in every possible place for it but I couldn't find it). He has posted my film off to me today only 13 days after I paid for it. [Roll Eyes] So hopefully it should be with me soon.

Paul.

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted August 17, 2009 04:40 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe he is reading this thread? I had another email today form another forum member saying that he read most of the forums and indeed was denied membership on another.
I, in an email to him sent him the link to this one. Thought it might be a good idea if he realised how people feel about his selling tactics etc.

Kev.

--------------------

Greg Marshall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 17, 2009 06:54 PM      Profile for Greg Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I think those are ridiculous rules that he likes to add to his auctions. That's his choice, of course... but I would not buy from him with these types of antics. Doesn't feedback mean anything anymore???? It's called trusting that 100%!

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted August 17, 2009 08:48 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Greg, new ebay rulles say it will remove all negative feedback from the accumulation after 1 year passed.

But with http://www.toolhaus.org/ you can find all his negative and neutral feedbacks from his previous years.

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Greg Marshall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 17, 2009 10:01 PM      Profile for Greg Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Winbert, I did not know that existed. I've added it to my favorites for future auctions.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC