8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » texting while driving (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: texting while driving
Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted August 27, 2009 11:11 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve, my comment was an unfair political generalization, and I apologize, and have modified it.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

|  IP: Logged

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted August 27, 2009 11:15 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They really REALLY need to pass a law to get rid of texting while driving! My wife and I like to take walks with our baby in the stroller, (well, yeah, he wouldn't be under it!), and
at least once a week, (and that is no lie) we almost get regularly smeared into the pavement, and at least least 9 times out of 10, it's either because of texting or cell phones.

You just don't have the attention span needed to drive and really have full control over driving, especially with so many unknown elements that can pop up suddenly.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted August 27, 2009 11:15 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're a fair man, Paul.

I'm changing mine too.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

John W. Black
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 27, 2009 08:26 PM      Profile for John W. Black   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey,how about those slopeheads who watch DVDs while driving?

--------------------
Beat em or burn em,they go up pretty quick

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted August 27, 2009 08:59 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I was in Germany there were billboards all along the Autobahns showing a guy with a cell phone, a laptop, a cup of coffee and a cigarette. The caption was "Who's driving?"

I can see the problem of texting while driving being a much worse problem among people just learning to drive now than people more our age. My friends have a 16 year old daughter and the cell is like a part of her right hand. You can be having a normal conversation with her and the whole time her thumb is moving on the cell phone. She is communicating with two people at the same time on separate channels.

Her boyfriend broke up with her recently...with a text message.

LG had a texting championship recently. All five finalists were teenage girls.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CpQ0hJWy_s

Texting is to teenager girls what Celestial Navigation was to an 18th century sailor: it's their medium, the rest of us are just dabblers at best.

--------------------

Richard C Patchett
Master Film Handler

- posted August 29, 2009 08:06 PM      Profile for Richard C Patchett   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Greetings

Note Steve The only problem with these laws is especially in the case of texting the action is going to occur below the window line of the car and therefore out of the view of the police.

When your driving on the hi way Do you ever come up to a car in the middle or left lane driving below the speed limit?
You can tell if that person is watching the road or is using his cell phone. ( look in his rear and or side mirrors
I can so does the police.

--------------------
RC’s Classic Collection
16 mm Parts & Service
Elmo, Eiki, Bell & Howell +
http://www.rcsclassic16mm.com/

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted August 29, 2009 09:04 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't say for sure: I drive in Metropolitan New York and have never seen someone driving below the speed limit.

My point is not that the law is a bad idea: it's that enforcement is going to be a challenge. This still doesn't make the law a bad idea since it joins thousands of other laws with the exact same problem.

Let's take your example: the Highway Patrol spies somebody doing 47 in a 55 and looking down occasionally. They pull the driver over and the officer tells the driver that he/she is suspected of texting and sees a powered-down cell on the console (...or can't see it under the seat). The driver says he/she was looking for a CD and wasn't using the phone.

Is this driver provably guilty beyond a reasonable doubt, or guilty of nothing worse than driving under the speed limit? The driver's story was at the least plausible, and possibly true.

The sixteen year old girl I mention above can text without really looking at the phone. It still doesn't mean her mind is on the road. Watching where she's looking wouldn't tell the police a thing.

--------------------

Richard C Patchett
Master Film Handler

- posted September 01, 2009 11:29 AM      Profile for Richard C Patchett   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Greetings
It might be stalled a bit here, but steam is building nationally behind the movement to ban texting while driving.

The Governors Highway Safety Association on Monday became the latest national traffic safety group to endorse a ban on using cell phones, PDAs and other messaging devices while driving.

Seems obvious, right? The problem is, too many people think they’re immune to the dangers, and our increasingly hyper-connected work and personal lives put pressure on us to be available and ready to interact at a moment’s notice.

That moment should never happen while at the control of a moving vehicle.

The GHSA is now encouraging each state to ban texting behind the wheel, period. The group says such bans send “a message to the public that this dangerous practice is unacceptable. We can begin to change the culture that has permitted distracted driving.”

The GHSA notes a recent Virginia Tech Transportation Institute study found that a driver engrossed in sending an electronic message while driving increases by 23 times his or her risk of crashing or narrowly avoiding one.

But the GHSA and others have had one big reservation about bans. They’re difficult to enforce until after the fact and may provide a false sense of security.

That’s one of the reasons Michigan hasn’t joined the ban bandwagon just yet.

Detroit this spring banned texting while driving; the city already had banned using hand-held cell phones while driving.

Bills to ban texting behind the wheel have been introduced in the Michigan Legislature but haven’t seen action in months. The GHSA says 18 states and Washington, D.C., have banned text messaging for drivers.

Even if Michigan were to ban texting while driving, it’s just one more offense for stretched-thin police to enforce. Outlawing it may provide more comfort than warranted.

Even so, there’s growing public support for a crackdown, at least according to the insurer Nationwide, which said Monday that a survey it conducted found 80% support nationally for a ban on texting while driving.

We need a major public-education focus on distraction. People must get it through their heads that the single stupidest thing they can do behind the wheel is to pay attention to anything other than driving safely.

--------------------
RC’s Classic Collection
16 mm Parts & Service
Elmo, Eiki, Bell & Howell +
http://www.rcsclassic16mm.com/

Christopher P Quinn
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 01, 2009 06:21 PM      Profile for Christopher P Quinn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like Richard drive lorry’s for a living, I see all kind of things going on, including people texting and using there mobile/cell phones. People with sat nav’s, watching the sat nav screen rather than the road, I’m always dodging them. The worst thing I see is other lorry drivers with films running on there laptops propped up on the dash, mostly long distance drivers from Europe, we have a lot on the roads here in Britain, they are immune from our laws and can do mostly what they like. Some kind of loop hole for them.

As Kev say’s not enough traffic cops etc. Let’s hope the video gets a good airing around the globe and it will make some people think before they pick up the phone whilst driving.

Chris.

--------------------
Chris Quinn Rides again.

John W. Black
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 01, 2009 11:24 PM      Profile for John W. Black   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm on the road a lot and there hve been many times I've just avoided an accident getting out of the way of a moron on their cell or texting.How horrible that lives are ended because some imbecile has to play with toys whilr driving.The technology exists to have a device installed in autos that would block cell waves so a cell phone couldn't be used while a car is running.Sounds good to me.

--------------------
Beat em or burn em,they go up pretty quick

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC