8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » HD DVD LIVES!!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: HD DVD LIVES!!
Mark Williams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 05, 2009 11:34 AM      Profile for Mark Williams   Email Mark Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
""SUBJECT: ZOMBIE FILM to resurrect HD DVD FORMAT

WETNWILDRADIO FILMS and ANTHEM PICTURES are proud to announce that the independent zombie horror film, DEADLANDS 2: TRAPPED, will be making its way to HD DVD.

This LIMITED COLLECTORS EDITION HD DVD will be made available in the HD DVD format in a very limited quantity on the films home video release date, October 27th 2009.

When asked why, in regards to releasing the film in this defunct format, Deadlands 2 writer/director Gary Ugarek, an avid HD DVD collector, had this to say.

"Over the last 18 months, since HD DVD's demise, I and a small group of HD DVD enthusiasts have scoured every part of the planet trying to obtain the left over releases of HD DVD material. We were early adopters of the format and still feel to this day the format shouldn't have been left to die off. So I set out to do some research and realized the following:

During HD DVD's release over 1,000,000 player units were sold, and over 800 titles were released for the format. At the end of its tenure the market penetration still remained strong, and the format built a dedicated fan base.

So I set out to see if these HD DVD owners would be interested in a brand new release. I presented all the information about the film, gave them access and links to trailers, the press kit and the technical aspects... and you know what... THEY LOVED THE IDEA. The feedback was unbelievable. Within 36 hours of putting the question out there, I received over 200+ emails, within 96 hours 380+ requests from HD DVD fans asking me to make this happen.

I presented the idea to Anthem Pictures, the distributor, and they liked it, and immediately jumped behind it."

One wouldn't think a $6,000.00 zombie film would be a candidate for such a release, but Deadlands 2 is that candidate. The HD DVD release will be limited to 500 copies only, with each disc noting the fact it is a LIMITED COLLECTORS EDITION. Also, each disc will also come with a Certificate of Authenticity numbering which copy the purchaser received. Since it is such a limited item, HD DVD fans will want to jump on this opportunity as this will be the first HD DVD to be mastered and press for release since March 2008, when production of the format ceased, Thus making the HD DVD release of Deadlands 2 a rarity item in HD collections.

"Some people thought I was flat out nuts and were asking, why HD DVD? Are you not a Blu-Ray supporter? I answered I am, but when you have a dedicated fan base for a format, like HD-DVD does, and you see the passion of its supporters I immediately knew I wanted to do this for the fans. I want to give them something special." Gary Ugarek

Special it is. Writer/Director Ugarek is in fact filming some new special HD DVD only content, and giving purchasers of this LIMITED COLLECTORS EDITION DISC more bang for their buck.

"I had been asked by the fans to include something about how I made a micro/low budget zombie film, and what my experiences were, what hoops and hurdles I had to overcome, and I though sure, why not." Gary Ugarek

The HD DVD should come packed with tons of features including: (Tentative)

* 1920x1080 version of the UNRATED CUT
* The full work print version of the film, which contains an alternate score and footage not available in the unrated edition
* A brand new director's commentary for the HD DVD release.
* A newly recorded commentary for the work print version, not available on DVD release
* Featurette on indie filmmaking from the directors POV (HD DVD exclusive)
* Featurette on the Theater cineplex location (HD DVD Exclusive)
* And more.

"Right now we have 30gb of space to fill up, so Anthem and I are working together to see what can be included, and if we have the space I will keep adding more to the list to make it a packed to the brim HD DVD release of the film." Gary Ugarek

Because of the limited production run and the extensive cost to produce HD DVD, the disc will retail through the distributors website for $29.95 + S&H and will be available for both US and International customers. HD DVD unlike Blu-Ray does not use a region coding system, so one master is just made. With HD DVD being region free, even if the disc is made in the USA it is playable on every HD DVD player around the world.

Based on the research data Ugarek has conducted he is expecting a good response and Anthem Pictures is setting up a special page on their website for HD DVD fans to pre-order their discs to make sure they have their copy reserved for when the film hits the street on October 27th.

"I know it's a gamble with HD DVD having lost out on the format war, but based on feedback from HD DVD fans we expect this to be a huge moment for them, the film and HD DVD. Kind of ironic that a zombie film would be helping HD DVD try to come back from the dead, even if for a short period of time, but who knows, if the program is a success maybe other indie filmmakers and distributors can do something similar for the HD DVD fans and keep it alive for the hard core."

To order your copy of Deadlands 2, or find out more information head to the Anthem Pictures website Anthem Pictures

DEADLANDS 2: TRAPPED OFFICIAL RELEASE DATE
OCTOBER 27th 2009

|  IP: Logged

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 06, 2009 02:58 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Let's hope the ploy works and HD DVD rises from the grave. A far more sensible format than Blu-Ray. I feel that if the market had have stuck with HD DVD things would have taken off by now but Blu-Ray was just too much of a change and the delays to equip the labs (which didn't need any re-equipment for HD DVD) have delayed the adoption of higher definition take up in the home.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Mark Williams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 06, 2009 06:01 AM      Profile for Mark Williams   Email Mark Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi-John

I doubt that it will catch on but its a great gesture anyway,Studio politics ruled the day here and I have no doubt that HD would have caught the publics imagination faster than Blu Ray ever did,they could probably have sold HD at the same price as DVD too!

Marshall Crist
Master Film Handler

- posted September 06, 2009 11:04 AM      Profile for Marshall Crist   Email Marshall Crist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I seem to recall Nirvana releasing their follow-up to NEVERMIND on vinyl a week earlier than the CD to prove some hipster point. I also recall wishing they'd used their clout to insist on an 8-track release for same.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC