8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Seawards the Great Ships

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Seawards the Great Ships
Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted September 25, 2009 04:16 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Back in the early 90s there was an excellent video called "Seawards the Great Ships" an Oscar winning short made in 1961 regarding shipbuilding on the Clyde. Well recently I managed to get the DVD which in this case has had the film cleaned up by Technicolor Laboratories.

If you are into things historical this is an excellent DVD its avalaible from "Panamint Cinema" in Scotland and are very good to deal with, also included are Glasgow Docklands 1956 and The River Clyde 1939 the following still is taken from that film.
 -
"Queen Mary" leaving the clyde after her construction in 1936 a couple of interesting facts you might be interested. In 1942 she carried a record number of 16,082 American troops from New York to Britain on one crossing. The movie "The Poseidon Adventure" which was based on a story by Paul Gallico was taken from the incident when the "Queen Mary" had been hit broadside in the Atlantic by a rogue wave that was 92feet high, the ship came very close to capsizing.

The three films in this DVD are of very good quality and its one I would recommend.

Graham.

[ September 25, 2009, 09:50 PM: Message edited by: Graham Ritchie ]

|  IP: Logged

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 25, 2009 05:50 PM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Graham,

Very nice, and something I would love to have on Region 1 DVD. I am a big "Titanic" buff so this would be right in my 'neck of the woods.' Do you know if they sell this in the American market?

Claus.

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted September 25, 2009 09:25 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Claus
The DVD is Pal "Region Free" Panamint Cinema are in West Lothian, Scotland. and have an interesting web-site you can look up and contact through google sorry I cant give the link to it, but when I ordered the DVD it arrived within seven days which is pretty good. "Seawards The Great Ships" as filmed in the yard takes you through the aspects of building and launching, anyone interested in engineering would find this film alone very interesting
 -
The front cover.

Regards Graham.

PS. Just remembered another DVD you might be interestd in I bought here locally a few years ago called "The Liners" a voyage of discovery its an Rob McAulley production "Australian" two parts "Maiden Voyage" and the other bonus "Ships of War" its also Pal "All Regions" this DVD covers the Luistania, Titanic, Queen Mary, Normandie, to name just a few, its excellent and very imformative.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC