8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » The Elimination of Film ....

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Elimination of Film ....
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 01, 2009 09:18 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This morning, I saw the advertisement for the re-re-re-re-re-re-re-release of "Snow White and the Seven Dwarves" (was that enough "re's"? Probably not).

I saw the images from the restored film, and I would have to re-name it a "moving story" and not a film. I'll explain.

The term "Film" is tossed around to mean, in some circles, a story on film. That is, the term "film" means, essentially, "story". For instance, when folks say, "Lets go see a film", they mean story, and not just onberving a piece of celluloid.

In this case, however, it can't really be called a "restored FILM". There is no film in the process at all, especially in the case of this "Snow White". It is a matter of bytes of information in a computer file, and digitally copied onto blu-ray discs. The film has been completely eliminated.

In fact, from what I saw in the advertisement, there was no evidence of celluloid in the process. All grain or any evidence of film, is eliminated.

In fact, what is left, is what, perhaps, (if Disney could have had it), exactly what he would have chosen. We are down to the actual cels and painted backgrounds, along with the only part that may have vestiges of the original "film", the soundtrack, and even that is debatable.

Now as a lover of fine animation, I can understand an appreciation for this type of presentation. Personally, I also find it slightly distracting, as I see more and more of the imperfections in the original artwork. More "jitter" than was noticeable before. A sheen that just doesn't really seem to belong there.

My argument would probably fall on many a flat ear today, and that's not bad either, as we are progressively becoming a "film-less society", but I do feel that restoration can actually go too far.

I alreadsy have the two disc DVD special edition of "Snow White", and that one already had that aspect to it, but I'm sure that it will feel that much more distanced from a filmic experience.

Even with all the improvements that have been made on the film, I actually do prefer to see "Snow White" the way people saw it back in the 1930's. We certainly do not see it as they did back then .. today (on blu-ray).

Some would say, "We see it better than they did back then."

I would argue against that, personally.

What are your thoughts?

By the way, on the other side of the coin, I would rather see a digital animmated film in a digital format, instead of film.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted October 01, 2009 09:30 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Once again, I offer the "original Monet vs the digitally reproduced print of the Monet" analogy.

The print which you can buy in any high st. shop is fine if all you want to do is look at and admire what the painting is a picture of.

It shows nothing of the artistry involved in the original canvas.

[Smile]

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted October 01, 2009 09:51 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The noun "film" and the verb "to film" are both pretty abused these days, but it's kind of an uphill battle because most people don't know the difference and if they did they wouldn't care anyway.

There of course is the "digital" thing. When I studied electronics in high school, it took 'em a year and a half to get up to what "digital" was and what could be done with it. These days that word is a synonym for "better", whether it really is or not and why it is (…if it is) being kind of a mystery.

I was in polite company a few months ago and a friend’s wife said the friend had a stash of super-8 films he shot while in Vietnam and it would be neat if I would project them. When the friend came in later we asked about them and he said he'd gotten those transferred to video years ago and trashed the reels.

He said he did this because it's "better" (there's that word again!)

When in the history of the planet has a copy ever been "better" than the source material? I could almost see it if they picked and chose from the best archival material and digitally restored the image, but in this case they pulled the image in as it was and plastered it on a VHS. (-not even "digital" and still "better"!)

Not “better”, more “convenient”: OK, but not “better”.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Steven J Kirk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 01, 2009 10:41 AM      Profile for Steven J Kirk   Email Steven J Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As far as the language goes, I hear broadcast journalists here in the UK still refer to 'footage' when a piece of video is about to be shown. 'Amateur footage from a camera-phone' I've heard too. Er, where's the space in the phone for all that 'footage' I don't know. That's the reverse process. I think the term 'film' will probably remain for some while and is used more here in England than 'movie' anyway.

--------------------
VistaVision
Motion Picture High-Fidelity

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted October 01, 2009 10:54 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite one takes a form something like "Amateur video from the 1950s..."

In my ears it's like fingernails on a chalkboard!

The worst part is that this is a pretty common expression on TV News broadcasts. If media professionals don't know the difference how can we expect more from everybody else?

(News People also need to stop saying "Cars were tossed around like toys" everytime a tornado passes through, but that's another story!)

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

John Whittle
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 01, 2009 02:58 PM      Profile for John Whittle   Email John Whittle       Edit/Delete Post 
There were a lot of problems with the original "Snow White". During the "first" restoration when Kodak first opened their restoration facility in Hollywood, we had a special SMPTE meeting there and were walked through the facility and saw the various stages that "Snow White" was undergoing. As I recall this was back in 1985 or so.

The original photography suffered from a lot a color problems from variations in photofloods used to illuminate the cells. There were a lot of cell reflections, paint problems, and lot and lots of dirt photographed in from the cells.

They were very careful at that stage to NOT take out the grain and all the dirt. In fact we saw a scene that they had redone because the technique had been "too heavy handed".

I'm looking forward to seeing the new version since we've made so many strides in restoration in the last 20 years. BTW, for what it's worth, Disney has and supplied both original cells and model sheets and color samples which were used in that restoration. So what was produced then was closer to what the artists and Disney wanted on the screen and removed the limits of the 1939 technology of Technicolor at that time.

So while this isn't the "original" film, I wouldn't take the same hard line against it until I get a chance to see it and see what they've done.

Few people will ever get the chance to Visit the Disney Archives (a hidden location BTW) and see the original art side by side with the restoration, but it's an eye opener.

One should note (and just ask George Lucas) no film is ever finished, they're just completed and released. There are always compromises and things everyone concerned with the production would want better or to change if time or money permited. Today time and money permit.

John

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted October 01, 2009 03:43 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well the Blu Ray Snow White will be on sale here next week and I can't wait to get a copy. If its anything like the job thay did on Sleeping Beauty and Pinnochio it will be really something to see.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 01, 2009 05:32 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm certainly not against film restoration. I remember seeing the restored, (well, for what could be done at that time) with Orson Welles troubled classic "Othello". The film, shot on many continents and piece-meal (that's an understatement!) looked 100 times better than the terrible copies that existed even on 16MM.
They actually re-recorded the whole soundtrack music in dolby surround and the two, sandwiched together, (music and restored film) were outstanding. At that time, it was the best restoration I had ever seen.

Note: Worst two "restorations" ... "Hawaii" and "It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World" In both cases, they took terribly faded lost footage and put it right back in ... terrible! It was so obvious!

As I stated before, I would much rather see, for instance, Toy Story, in complete digital format instead of film, as then I can enjoy all the craft that went into the digital process with the absolute clarity.

I must also admit, I do like seeing a literal cel straight to digital DVD. I bought the latest restoration of Bambi on the 2 disc DVD and it did look lovely. I'm still marveling over the great leaps and strides that Disney took from even Snow White to Bambi, and in only a period of less than five years. Amazing!

Yet, I still muse and sigh at seeing the lack of grain and such distractions, as most folks today would label them.

--------------------

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted October 01, 2009 06:59 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I must say John Whittle's knowledge is most appreciated and I am always enlightened when I read his posts. Thanks, John. Wish you lived in my neighborhood. [Cool]

Joe McAllister
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 02, 2009 02:49 PM      Profile for Joe McAllister   Email Joe McAllister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am a self confessed luddite when it comes to digital technology. I am often asked why I prefer vinyl to CD my answer is"Because I can tell the difference."
Similarly with film versus digital I can tell the difference and I prefer film.
Disney may have removed fingerprints inconsistent lighting etc but as any presenter of the "Antiques Road Show" will tell you if you remove the patina from an antique it becomes worthless.
But many people have watched and enjoyed movies in poor circumstances. The inability of tv to reproduce films in their original ratios or colour balance even under the best of circumstances hasn't caused general grief. Some people have even put up with illicit poorly duplicated videos and DVD's.
However for me a 200' 8mm extract from Snow White projected in a living room is more exciting and involving than a digital restoration.
As for the technical deficiencies of early technicolor whatever they might have been HD technology still lacks the colour range contrast and sharpness to present it properly.

--------------------
Always interested in privately produced amateur and home movies.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted October 02, 2009 03:47 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Joe,
I share your sentiments about Disney and Super 8mm. The Disney prints that I have are all of amazing quality, and as you say the sense of involvment is much greater when projecting film.
But I feel you are being overly harsh on DVD and Blu ray. If you have seen the incredible quality of projected Blu ray releases of Sleeping Beauty and Pinochio it is probably as good as it can ever be, and for most people its almost like seeing the film for the first time, such is the level of detail previously not apparent. So if the films have been digitally 'scrubbed and cleaned' a little I have no objection if these are the results.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Barrie Didham
Film Handler

- posted October 03, 2009 02:47 AM      Profile for Barrie Didham   Email Barrie Didham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all.

I often feel let down by todays tech,even if i own it myself.

The Laserdisc of Joseph M.Schencks Hallelujah,Im a Bum really out shines the DVD,but no doubt one day it will be given the Blu-Ray treatment,if any of you have seen the Laserdisc of George Lucas,s THX 1138 and then watched the DVD,you,ll understand where im coming from,sometime i think we go to far or not far enough when remastering these storys to the digital age.

But i cant help that warm fuzzy feeling i get when i see a 16mm or 8mm print with all its faults on the big screen,there is just something so alive with these formats that even my HD-Panasonic projector cant give me,even with my 100X250 inch screen.

Though with all said,HD does suck you into its massive field of view and hues of Black that are very hard to get from any other format from a home setup.

Barrie

--------------------
Between Heaven and Hell there will always be Super8

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 03, 2009 03:21 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They'll have glossed it up so it looks as much like a modern computer animation as possible. Let me know if this isn't right, and if it does look like an improvement maybe then I'll take a look at it. From what I've read here though this is just another money making exercise to be avoided as I don't care for modern computer cartoons.

The original Snow White was a work of art. Why change a masterpiece?

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 03, 2009 09:49 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John ...

I have only seen the advertisement for the yet again revamped Snow White, and that, on a ole fashioned 27 inch
Sanyo, (We don't shell out a lot for conventional TV in our house!)

What I can say for it, (and we do get a digital signal of course, so we aren't seeing it on BR), is that it really does look like its cel animation placed on top of the backgrounds, which does have it's charm and does let the artists full briliance shine through.

Paul, when you get your copy, could you per-chance put up a screen capture or two from it?

--------------------

Stuart Fyvie
Film Handler

- posted October 03, 2009 12:13 PM      Profile for Stuart Fyvie   Email Stuart Fyvie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unfortunately restoration is a fact of life and unless it is undertaken many films will simply be lost. I don't think there is one film collector that doesn't have at least one faded print.
An interesting link can be found here regarding the 70mm 'Alamo'
They are even taking donations to ensure this happens...!

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articles/robertharris/harris032009.html

As for film being dead, the only long term archive format that studios guarantee are YCM seperation masters on fine grain 35mm B&W stock. It is the only known format to last more than a hundred years.

Looking forward to 'Snow white' and 'Wizard of Oz'. on BD.

Stuart

Christopher P Quinn
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 03, 2009 08:11 PM      Profile for Christopher P Quinn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is a contentious issue. The restoration of most films I have seen on DVD or blu-ray has been an improvement on the last commercially available media, i.e. Video tape or laserdisc, and I say most, there are exceptions as pointed out already. What I will say is bad registration on Technicolor prints is common place; look at the DVD set of Walt Disney Treasures. The few cartoons that have been restored shine out against the un-restored mud baths of poor colour reproduction and very bad registration.

If anything has been lost through the process, then for most of us it will be the dirt, scratches, and poor reg. For those of us who look deeper it will be the romance. I think Disney and other notable cartoonists would love what has been done. I wish somebody would come and restore my film of my children to the degree that they have with Disney’s Pinocchio, I would be well pleased.

Osi, I still tape things on the TV, although it's now done through my Sky+ box. [Wink]

--------------------
Chris Quinn Rides again.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC