8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » How do you keep track of your collection?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How do you keep track of your collection?
Peter van Zand
Film Handler

- posted October 01, 2009 02:24 PM      Profile for Peter van Zand   Author's Homepage   Email Peter van Zand   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Recently I was thinking about a solution to keep track of my collection in some sort of database, so I started searching the web. I found lots of programs, but finally settled for php4dvd movie database, obviously developed for dvd collections, but easily adapted for my 16mm and 8mm needs. The beauty of open source software. I'm quite happy with the result, it makes it easy for me to keep track of my collection and add new titles. Have a look: my movie database
Of course you need access to a web server and a database installed. I host my domain at home on my little server, so no problems there. So how do you keep track of your collections?

--------------------
www.vergetenfilm.nl

|  IP: Logged

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted October 01, 2009 02:54 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Peter,

I have been using www.collectorz.com. It is not free (around $40sh).

However this is a very user friendly software.

You can download the trial version (capable to load 100 titles) and have a look.

It used to be able downloading all infos from www.imdb.com and amazon.com, even it will automatically place the user comments in our database (but I think because of one thing or another, it is no longer able). We can get those titles we want just by typing the title or scan the bar-code.

For Music CD, even we can compile the data just by inserting the CD in to our computer.

The most interesting one about this software for you is this software is designed by Amsterdamers... [Big Grin]

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 01, 2009 05:28 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Peter,

I keep lists on paper that I am constantly updating and from time to time I type out various pages on each format. (super 8 trailers/ super 8 digests/ 16mm features,etc)

I keep these typed pages in a nice notebook and sprinkle posters and graphics like different box art throughout. I like having something I can hold in my hand and look through. Plus, if someone asks what I have they can look thru it too!

Although, all my lists are on a computer but they are just word documents.

Bill

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted October 03, 2009 07:38 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bill, we're sympatico - I use long, yellow legal pads to neatly write (print) everything with various color flair pens, and re-do as needed

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 03, 2009 05:11 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe,

It is a labor of love. I make lists of everything. I also collect records, tapes, CD's, projectors, cameras, laserdiscs, VHS, DVD, N-guage trains, books, slot cars etc.

I have many hobbies that I enjoy very much. Of all the lists that I update I usually keep the old ones too. So I guess I also collect lists!

Bill

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted October 04, 2009 07:48 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Same here - My LP and boxed LP collection is completely written on legal paper, also my film want-list - All else is in my memory storage (a/k/a my mind) - And I'm selling my LP collection, much of it still sealed in the cellophane wrap it came in

Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 04, 2009 04:56 PM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use micosoft excel spred sheet

--------------------
jim schrader
"Let's see “do I have that title already?"

David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 06, 2009 07:17 AM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I was a teenager I wished I had enough films to bother keeping track of. The 10 or so films sat in the box with my projector!

Now I love having them on shelves and "loosing" films. I really enjoy coming across films that I have forgotten I had or never even run. It is a problem sometimes whenI find out I have bought another print of a film I already have! Oh well, thanks to ebay you can easily sell them again.

Damien Taylor
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 06, 2009 06:32 PM      Profile for Damien Taylor   Email Damien Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm almost exactly the same way David, even with my records. When you forget what you have it's like discovering them all over again. PS. Thanks for the print of Steel, it was good fun.

David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 08, 2009 09:35 AM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No worries Damien. It really is a forgotten film of that era. I was a big Lee Majors fan.

I keep buying film from Derann, Classic and ebay so am always looking to make more space.

Douglas Meltzer

- posted October 08, 2009 10:06 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Like Winbert, I used collectorz at one time but I prefer a customized excel spreadsheet (like Jim!). At one glance I can see date purchased, seller, price paid, reel size, genre, feature or digest, condition, last date cleaned and whether I also have that title in a different format (both 200' & 400', etc.).

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC