8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » My Wife has never heard of Captain Kangaroo!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: My Wife has never heard of Captain Kangaroo!
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 14, 2009 12:41 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We were in the local thrift store, (always on the prowl for an old standard 8mm projector!), and I mentioned Captain Kangaroo ...

My wife has never heard of him!

She was born in 1984, granted, but I would have thought that she would have at least heard of the Captain.

It made me feel a little old, being a child of the 70's, but it also reminded me of how much has changed. The Captain used to look at the kids at home, (happily wolfing down Captain Crunch, in this kids case!) and he would say ...

" Hey Kids! Do you want to see what is in my pocket? "

(NOTE: his name was Captain Kangaroo because his costume had an enormous number of pockets on it, filled with all sorts of neat things!)

... and then he would beckon the at home audience to come close to find out what was in the pocket.

Of course, today, any TV personality that would do the same would be instantly labeled a pervert and the show cancelled.
It shows just how we have truly lost our "innocence", so to speak, as a society.

Sure, every generation says that "nothing has changed", but it really has.

Anyhow, I then happily filled her head with many memories of the different characters that I saw on the show ...

The Captain, of course ...
Mr. Green Jeans
Mr. Moose ... ever in search of a way to drop ping pong balls on
the captain.
Bunny Rabbit, who, if he wasn't trying to bilk the Captain out of carrots, was playing the piano.

The "Dancing Bear" (basically, a giant Teddy Bear outfit with a dancer in it, soft shoeing to whatever song was playing.

The grandfather clock, with a talking face.

and then there was the cartoon segments ...

Simon, in the land of Chalk Drawings
The toothbrush Family

... I always loved the original theme, but they replaced this in the late seventies/early 80's with a more pop music theme, which lasted for the last few years of the show.

I was so sad when the Captain was canceled. I was in high school by the early 80's, but I would still sit down, watching my little sister and brothers, and watch it with them.

What memories!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 14, 2009 03:07 PM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi,

I remember when I came to the US for the first time in 1975. My grandmother and I had landed in NY and my parents were meeting us in the city; we were staying overnight before driving to DC.

I woke up early from jetlag, and decided to turn on the TV. The very first show I saw on US soil was....Captain Kangaroo. I was fascinated by him, not being used to such shows in little Denmark. I didn't watch him regularly as I was already too old for such shows, but he kept a warm spot in my heart from that day forward.

The day Bob Keeshan died, I flashed back to that early morning in the hotel, on my first day in this big country. It was as if a very personal memory died with him.

Claus.

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted October 14, 2009 04:57 PM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CBS-Channel 2 - My youth, I have never left it - Favorites were CLUTCH CARGO, still is - DIVER DAN, so much more - Shorty

Richard C Patchett
Master Film Handler

- posted October 14, 2009 06:44 PM      Profile for Richard C Patchett   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Greetings
All great shows,
How about Sky King, 77 Sunset Strip, Spin and Marty, Lassie with Timmy.(Jon Provost)
trivia question.
Who played Ruth Martin on the show before June Lockhart.

answer:

Cloris Leachman played my mother and Jon Shepodd my father. Cloris didn't like TV and left after half a season.
The show then let Jon Shepodd go and started over (so it wouldn't look like they divorced or she died.)
Jon is a good friend of mine.
RC

--------------------
RC’s Classic Collection
16 mm Parts & Service
Elmo, Eiki, Bell & Howell +
http://www.rcsclassic16mm.com/

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted October 14, 2009 08:09 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Capain was a Local Boy Done Well: he was born here and lived most of his life on Long Island.

...but when I was little I watched "Mr. Roger's Neighborhood".

(Liked Bugs Bunny better than anything, though!)

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Bradford A Moore
Master Film Handler

- posted October 14, 2009 09:05 PM      Profile for Bradford A Moore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Osi,

My father used to work for Captain Kangaroo. He wrote the commercials that he would do, that were between segments. this was in the early black and white days. My father and he looked similar out of makeup, and sometimes people would get them confused.

[Cool] [Cool]

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 14, 2009 09:57 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow Bradford!

Did you ever get to meet the man himself? How I admire ya!

I was always freaked out by Mr. Roger, I thought he was pervey, but thats just me.

--------------------

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted October 14, 2009 10:27 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The wild thing about Fred Rogers is he wasn't playing a character like so many of these guys were. He really was like that whether he was in front of the camera or not. I saw him interview an adult on an adult themed broadcast one time and his demeanor was the same as on "neighborhood".

Say what you will about the guy, but he never said "That oughta hold the little bastards" once the camera turned off!

Truth be told, he was somebody that really cared about the quality of childrens programming and dedicated his career to improving it.

-based on some of the awful crap I sometimes find my own son watching, I wish there were more like him.

--------------------

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 15, 2009 05:48 AM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi guys-

Mr. Roger's was definately a good hearted man. He always had children's best interest in mind. I was sad when he died.

As for the "Captain"- no day was complete, back in the 70's, if I didn't watch Captain Kangaroo in the mornings. I only watched it in the summertime though, since it came on after 8AM.

And I remember when they changed the opening in the late 70's, and added that animation, and the new song...'Good mornin, Captain...bla bla. It was kind of neat at first, but grew old quickly, and soon I longed for the old opening music, the one I had known and loved for years. The new opening sequence was one step towards the future of "flashier" programing for kids, that would eventualy take us to where we are today, in so-called "children's programs" (Nicklodeon, Disney Channel, etc.). Don't even get me started.

But, great memories from the past!

James.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 15, 2009 08:16 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Steve ...

Were we speaking of good ole "Uncle Don" ?

Mr. Rogers was a truly a good man; his demeanor just made me edgy. I reality, the dude was an ordained minister.

Though I was never a fan of Mr. Rogers, I thought it was truly cute when, a short time after he went off the air, Fred Rogers went on the tonights show and brought many of the puppets that were on the show. Good King Friday, Lady Elaine. My favorite was the little cat that lived in the merry go round, (I think).

I wonder if Fred was a lover of trains as many are on this forum, with that trolley through his "house", which led to the land of make believe. I bet there were a lot of kids that wished they could have a train set like that winding through they're houses.

I gotta admit, I was one. I wanted a whole tier section on the upper parts of the wall with holes to each room!

OK, so there were some parts of Mr. Rogers I liked, just not the guy.

Back to the Captain. I remember of very funny editorial cartoon which showed Mr. Green Jeans being hauled away in handcuffs by narcotics officers, with the Captain asking, "Mr. Green Jeans, WHY?" ... to which Mr. Green Jeans was answering, "Hey, you try to make a living just raising alfalfa!"

--------------------

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted October 15, 2009 09:22 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Were you smoking cigarettes or playing Solitaire with a deck of 51? [Big Grin]

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted October 15, 2009 12:40 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Osi,

It was a reference to the Uncle Don...thing.

The really fascinating part of that entire phenomenon is that it probably never happened. The story goes that "Uncle Don" thought his mic. was off and said "That oughta hold the little bastards!", when it actually was still on, and he was disgraced and fired soon after that. People who have looked into it have found no valid evidence it happened.

Now don't get me wrong: there is plenty of evidence and many eyewitnesses (earwitnesses?) but there's trouble with all of it. For one thing, a great many people "remember" hearing that particular broadcast, but when you get down to when they heard it, there is a spectacular spread in the range of years and the real record shows that Uncle Don was not fired during any of them (or later either). The theory is that people have heard the story so many times it became "truth", and even became "memory".

There is even a recording of the broadcast that most of us have heard, but it is actually a fake. Years ago people compiled LPs of radio and TV bloopers. Naturally they had to have Uncle Don's infamous "Bastards" incident, but try as they could, they couldn't find the studio recording, so they made their own. This recording probably helped a great many people "remember" hearing it live.

The best explanation that's been proposed is that the quote is actually genuine, but was made originally by some obscure children's radio host. It became an urban legend and gradually attached itself to the most famous children's radio host of the day: Uncle Don. As long as he lived he couldn't shake it, and now it's all he's known for.

-Fame can be cruel!

--------------------

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 15, 2009 01:20 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
VERY interesting Steve ...

I happen to have one of those LP's. It's called

"100 Super Duper Bloopers"

Its one of those Kermit Schaffer collections. I had noted when listening to this collection that a number of the bloopers seemed to have the same voice, at different tonal levels, doing a number of the bloopers ...

" Game play has been stopped for the moment. There's a hippity hop rabbit jacking off down the field. "

(one of my favorites)

Others are genuine and definitely taken from old recordings, like some of the "Dating Game" bloopers, which are truly hilarious.

The Uncle Don one is on there as well. It seems to sound genuine, but I'm not sure.

--------------------

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted October 15, 2009 01:48 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A really good fake is still a fake, and the Kermit Schaffer recording is the one I'm talking about.

I've read that the existence of this story was actually documented before Uncle Don first stepped up to the microphone and was originally applied to many children's entertainers, but Don Carey was the one it stuck on.

The thing about it is the people who "remember" this aren't generally crazy: they are just people.

-it's enough to make me wonder about the reliability of my own early memories, did I really experience it or is it just what I was told happened?

History? -bah! -could be nothing more than a bunch of rumors!

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC