8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » My new toys....vintage items (TV, Radio, etc) (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: My new toys....vintage items (TV, Radio, etc)
Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted October 17, 2009 11:08 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all,

Being in Canada for temporary is my big opportunity to get anything old (except 8mm) more easily. And since I was so obsessed with 1950-1960s, I have been trying to start collecting it now.

Of course my rule of thumb in hunting vintage stuff is always to keep the budget as minimum as I can. I apply this rule to make more challenging in hunting something (plus if I have to spend much money on them, it is better to visit an antique store and be ready with a credit card, but what is the story then).

So below are the items just entring my collection.

-

Brand: Viking 19" B/W TV
Made in Canada
Year: 1950s
Condition: Unknown
Finishing: Red Mahogany
Inc Instruction Manual & Service Operation
Cosmetic condition: Clean, minimal scratch, screen and mask glass shiny, body shiny, no chips
Price bought: CAD $15 (2009)

-

Brand: Electrohome 19" B/W TV
Made in Canada
Year: 1950s
Condition: Picture gone, sound OK
Finishing: Yellow/blonde Mahogany
Inc Instruction Manual & Service Operation
Cosmetic condition: Clean, minimal scratch, screen and mask glass shiny, body shiny, no chips
Price bought: CAD $15 (2009)

-

Alliance Antenna Rotor
Made in USA
Condition: Working
Finishing: Dark brown
Cosmetic condition: Medium scratch, glass dull, body shiny, no chips
Price bought: Free (with the above purchase)

That is a bit of my story while I am in Canada.

[Wink]

cheers

--------------------
Winbert

|  IP: Logged

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 18, 2009 01:43 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert
Cool stuff, but I have to ask, how big is your place in Canada? Cuz its gonna fill up quick collecting old TV's [Razz]

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 18, 2009 07:43 AM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert,

Nice sets, but to add to what Dino said: you do have to get those back to Indonesia when you go home.
Carry-on luggage they're not.... [Big Grin]
Of course, if you get a big enough collection, it might be cheaper just to stay in Canada for the rest of your life... [Wink]

Claus.

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted October 18, 2009 07:23 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dino and Claus,

My house in Canada is not big enough, but luckily we have a finished basement where I share toys with my kids (their toys and mine...LoL).

For the TVs, my wife loves them too so she allowed me to put them as part of interior decoration (I succeeded to influence her in this matter but still fail for introducing 8mm to her ... [Big Grin] )

I knew they are heavy and take so much place. But to be honest being lived in Indonesia (and Fiji before) I hard to get those retro stuff.

There are at least 2 conditions that make me hard to get them, i.e:

1. 40 to 50 years ago, Indonesia was still poor (now there is some progress but it is still a developing country) so TV and those entertainment equipments were only owned by certain people.

2. Climate issue: if from point 1 above there were equipments left, the next challenge is termites, rust and fungus. Indonesia is tropical country with hot and humid for the whole year. If the items was made from wood, it would have been destroy by termites. If the items was made from metal/tin, they have been covered by rust. And if they made from plastic or clothes, it would have been fungus around.

So when I arrived in Canada, I just like a kid in front of candy stores [Wink]

I believe my colleagues back home will be surprised with those stuff.

BTW, Claus the next acquisition will be a Juke Box.... [Razz] it is even bigger.

I will post it later.

--------------------
Winbert

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted October 18, 2009 08:47 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think this calls for a hidden DVD player and a whole bunch of DVDs of vintage TV shows!

When I was a little kid my parents finished the basement and bought a nice console TV (black and white). Every Saturday night we'd all go down there and eat dinner watching the Wonderful World of Disney together.

These days it's not unusual for families to have TVs in every room, and everybody to sit in their little isolated space and watch their own show.

-No wonder we have no idea what's going on in our kids' lives!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 19, 2009 01:29 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert you should go after that Scopitone machine although it probably won't fit into your price restrictions, but man it would be the coolest jukebox....In case you can't tell I am living vicariously through you at the moment since we cannot fit these types of cool things in our condo.. [Frown]

Scopitone for sale

--------------------

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted October 19, 2009 11:21 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I think this calls for a hidden DVD player and a whole bunch of DVDs of vintage TV shows!
Steve,

Exactly your idea was already done by someone here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NYQnp-NtpA

See... when you are watching old movies with an old TV there is a different feeling (atmosphere) you get (Although I didn't live in that period)

--------------------
Winbert

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted October 19, 2009 11:39 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...and the joy of it is generally these old sets were built simply and ruggedly: generally what ails them when they don't work is just a dead tube somewhere.

If you can find a working tube tester and a source of replacement tubes you have a shot at fixing these TVs.

Once you are there, you'll need to set the scene. You'll need some TV trays and some Swanson TV dinners (hard to get as a vintage item...). If I remember right, Dads in the 50s and early 60s smoked pipes at home (tobacco...of course). I believe this was before they invented cancer and heart disease somewhere around 1969.

I suppose you could go all out and get a crewcut, but bear in mind that you are in Canada and Winter is on the way. Every bit of insulation is a bonus!

--------------------

David Pannell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 20, 2009 07:45 AM      Profile for David Pannell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We still have TV trays and TV dinners (home made, of course) whilst watching our favourite 16 or 8mm films - on vintage Ampro projectors - naturally.

........All is not lost........

--------------------
Dave.

Valves and celluloid - a great combination!
Early technology rules OK!

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted October 21, 2009 12:02 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just another today's acquisition :

-

-

Torcan Fan
Made in Canada
Year: 1960s
Finishing: Light Blue
Cosmetic condition: Light scratch, body shiny, no chips
Price bought: CAD $3

(ps: the fan is truly working and even it is very fast. But what make me afraid with this fan is the blades are made from metal. I don't know what will happen if my kids accidentally put their fingers inside the bars. I don't understand how could people create this kind of dangerous machine long time ago)

-

Viking floor model radio
Made in Canada
Year: 1940-1950s
Condition: Not Working
Finishing: Black Mahogany
Cosmetic condition: Heavy scratch, body not shiny, some body chips
Price bought: CAD $20

(anyone knows when this kind of radion was actually made?)

cheers

--------------------
Winbert

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted October 21, 2009 08:37 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In order to get safety agency certification (UL, CSA.....etc.) a modern fan would have to have a safety guard on it with openings small enough to prevent a child's fingers from reaching the blades.

Unfortunately, they didn't have these certs at the time your fan was made because.... wellll....not enough people had lost digits yet to make people realize this was important.

Unfortunately "common sense" usually comes through disaster: it takes a Titanic to make people realize there need to be as many seats in the lifeboats as there are people on the ship.

To you and me it’s obvious, but then again we were born after the Titanic sank.

(Besides, really early fans had no guards at all!)

--------------------

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted November 02, 2009 02:18 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not my current acquisition but they are really toys not "toys" ... [Big Grin]

-

-

-

-

Brand: Marklin
Made in Germany
Year: 1930s
Condition: Unknown
Finishing: Tin/Metal
Incl. full oval track without AC motor
Cosmetic condition: Dirt, some scratches and rust, body complet, some paint chips
Price bought: CAD $

ps: Marklin is the best (hi-end) train manufacture similar to Fumeo or Beualiau in our movie scene

--------------------
Winbert

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted November 13, 2009 03:43 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Of course my recent acquisition is

-

Brand: Elmo GS800 Super 8mm projector (Stereo sound, Magnetic)
Made in Japan
Year: 1980s
Finishing: Black
Inc. Dust Cover, 800" empty Reel, Instruction Manual & Service Operation
Cosmetic condition: Clean and shiny
Price bought: CAD $125 (2009)

The full interesting story of this acquisition is told here:

My lucky find of an Elmo GS !!

regards,

--------------------
Winbert

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 13, 2009 09:59 PM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert, Winbert....

No stopping you now [Big Grin]

Nice vintage Marklin train; now you've made me want to get mine out again.
Interesting how both the little wine-barrel car and the simple green passenger carriages were already around in the 30es; I have the same ones from the 1970es and they haven't changed much.

That fan is beautiful; they sell so many cheap replicas of those now, so it's good to see the real thing.

Mark my words: at your current pace, you'll need a shipping container by the time you are ready to go home (not that there is anything wrong with that [Wink] )

Claus.

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

Christopher P Quinn
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 14, 2009 12:32 AM      Profile for Christopher P Quinn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Those TV's look excellent, especially the first one. Those were the days when a telly was also a piece of furniture.

Chris.

--------------------
Chris Quinn Rides again.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted November 14, 2009 08:37 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Interesting how both the little wine-barrel car and the simple green passenger carriages were already around in the 30es; I have the same ones from the 1970es and they haven't changed much.
Claus, I am not so sure that my train is from 1930s. I am just guessing by seeing the train is made by tin-plate and the Marklin logo, as you can see below:

-

Moreover, the trains are so rough and hand-worked items compared to other new/later Marklin products. That what makes me think that they come from pre-WWII

From the page below (in German) it is also mentioned that the above logo was used between 1930 - 1954.

http://www.sammeln-sammler.de/blechspielzeug/maerklin-cie-gebr/

So I am not really sure when those trains were made.

Did your train also tin-plate made and has the same logo?

(ps: indeed there is a repro of the logo for some Marklin in 1980s)

quote:
Mark my words: at your current pace, you'll need a shipping container by the time you are ready to go home
Yes surely, more over with this below item paid yesterday, then a container is a must [Big Grin]

-

and

-

Brand: Morse Electrophone Disco Console (Turntable w/ disc changer, Cassette, 8-track, Radio, Amplifier and Speaker + Disco Mirror Ball & lighting)
Made in Canada
Year: 1980s
Condition: Working (only Turntable currently stuck)
Finishing: wooden color and Black
Inc. Dust Cover and all working bulbs
Cosmetic condition: A bit scratch and wooden chips/torn
Price bought: CAD $50 (2009)

I should post a picture of this machine during daytime.

However seeing this machine with bulbs are blinking or flip-flop just bringing our mood to Saturday Night Fever era.

[Wink]

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Wayne Tuell
Master Film Handler

- posted November 14, 2009 10:57 PM      Profile for Wayne Tuell   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Tuell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
WOW, that console looks much cooler than my '76 Rockola with simulated neon lights [Razz]

I have a few old items you might like to see Winbert. I just can't figure out how to put pictures here. Every time I try to download them, it says that my password is incorrect. [Confused] You would probably get a kick out of my phone in a box, the teletyper (or whatever it is called) and the model radio transmitter set. I had some old T.V.'s, radios, & soda machines that family members have talked me out of over the years. [Frown]

--------------------
www.16mmDrive-InFilms.com

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted November 17, 2009 08:56 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
WOW, that console looks much cooler than my '76 Rockola with simulated neon lights [Razz]
Hey... "A Rockola" yey....

Wayne, I just got a Seeburg. Not really a vintage Jukebox (which will cost thousands dollar), just a retro Jukebox from 1960s.

For others, if you see the price of this Jukebox, you are possibly thinking that I have increased my budget in buying "toys". However, I just want to let you know that Jukebox' price is usually around $2500 - $6000. So what I've spent for this is actually considered very low for a working Jukebox.

So here we go:

-

Brand: Seeburg 100 Selection Celestia
Made in USA
Year: 1978
Finishing: Blue and retro design finished, with neon bulbs inside
Inc 50 vinyl 45
Cosmetic condition: Clean, minimal scratch
Price bought: CAD $2700 (2009)

And now the two retro items are siting side by side in my basement:

-

and Claus, a container even a necessary now when I am returning home.

cheers [Wink]

[ September 28, 2016, 09:10 AM: Message edited by: Winbert Hutahaean ]

--------------------
Winbert

Wayne Tuell
Master Film Handler

- posted November 17, 2009 10:52 PM      Profile for Wayne Tuell   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Tuell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That is really a cheap price for a working unit. There are a few good sites that offer label strips making programs for free that actually look good in the Jukes.

--------------------
www.16mmDrive-InFilms.com

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 18, 2009 03:13 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert.... [Eek!] You are the COOLEST dad ever! Oh wait but do the kids get to touch the "stuff" [Smile]

--------------------

Antonis Galanakis
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 18, 2009 07:10 AM      Profile for Antonis Galanakis   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is my Jukebox. AMI I - 200 (JAI-200).Year 1958. I bought it in Greece, in 1991 for 900 Euros. Imagine playing "Black Magic Woman", dancing with your girlfriend only with the lights of The AMI.
Antonis
 -

Damien Taylor
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 18, 2009 07:26 AM      Profile for Damien Taylor   Email Damien Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice AMI, I especially love jukes with visible mechs. I can't figure out why all the jukebox companies went in the other direction after the 60s.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted November 19, 2009 01:53 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
There are a few good sites that offer label strips making programs for free that actually look good in the Jukes.
The Celestia Jukebox has placed the strips in unique position. If you see the Jukebox horizontally, where our eyes at the same high with the Jukebox (like the photos above), then you will see the whole retro design with neon lights.

But if you come closer to the Jukebox and your eyes much higher than the Jukebox, you will see the stripes are there.

ps: an interesting part of this retro image is that the idea was inspired by Leonardo Da Vinci's human sketch as shown below:

-

More design of Seeburg retro jukebox can be seen here:

http://home.pacbell.net/fmillera/digital_jukeboxes.htm#100-78D

(after seeing those retro jukeboxes, your mind must be brought back to the 1970s Disco era, read: John Trovolta things [Wink] [Wink] )

quote:
You are the COOLEST dad ever! Oh wait but do the kids get to touch the "stuff"
Dino, I never made my things as sacred items that kids cannot touch. I try to introduce them with my toys and how I preserve them. On the other way around, I told them to keep their toys as I do.

You cans see on the photo above that there is an HO rail track lying on the floor. That the place where my two kids play around with my train collection.

It is hard for the first time to introduce those precious toys (on my view) since kids don't understand it. For the first time it costs one turntable needle broken off, two vinyls got scratched, one toaster-style old radio got cracked, etc, etc. But after all, they got bored too with my toys and just leave them as they are.

At this stage, they will never play harsh again with them and only will touch when I invite them to enjoy them. This is a situation that I say as the equilibrium between their curiosity and excitement.

I really love to hear when they ask me "Daddy can I watch again that Little Rascals on your projector". I will never refuse that order [Big Grin]

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 20, 2009 02:49 PM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert,
The cars I have (green passenger) don't, as I recall, have that stamp on them. I think the appearance of yours also indicate an earlier period; they seem bit rougher looking in terms of metal stamping and such.

One thing: what about electricity when you get home? I don't remember what the current is in Indonesia, but I would imagine you'd need some transformers?

Keep collecting; you've got some lovely things there [Smile]
Claus.

--------------------

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted November 22, 2009 08:38 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
One thing: what about electricity when you get home? I don't remember what the current is in Indonesia, but I would imagine you'd need some transformers?
Hi Claus, a good point, you spot on the important issue. Yes Canada is 110v and Indonesia is 220v. The freq is also different (not really an issue for non-sensitive machine). I will have to buy transformer when I bring them back home.

But certainly not really an issue for this stuff, is it?

-

-

-

-

-

Brand: Truphonic No. 10 made by Columbia Phonograph
Made in Canada
Year: 1930s
Condition: Working (but arm has a crack)
Finishing: brown
Cosmetic condition: Clean, minimal scratch
Price bought: CAD $30 (2009)

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC