8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Hello there

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Hello there
John Almond
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 18, 2009 05:08 AM      Profile for John Almond     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First post in the forum, My names John and I live near Wigan. I first got the film bug way way back in the early 70s when I had a fasination with everything disney. I so wanted to make animated films and bought my first cine camera from greens in Bolton. I think it was a pathfinder auto Std 8 for £8 but soon upgraded to a quartz 5 bought from the same place for £35. I built my animation rostrum out of dexion and lit the art area with two 100w bulbs and started to make my own animated films using sheet after sheet of paper. Ive still got thoses films and after many years I would love to watch them again. I also have many reels of film with my perants and younger brother on and I need to get them transfered to DVD soon.
I have just bought (from ebay) a eumig 926 GL but it is in need of a bit of TLC, It does work but some of the slider controls are missing the knobs and he did say that it sometimes doesn't feed the film

type that number in ebay and I think it will take you to the sellers page.

Anyway, I will have lots of Qs [Wink]

Just as a by the way, you can see my home cinema here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPblwQUzJRU

Its changed a bit since then, but only decorating wise. I am hoping to move the entrance from the back to the side at some point so I can accomadate a projector (CINE) to get a longer throw, so hence the many Qs I will have regarding conecting up to the amp system and also getting a wide screen picture from the eumig or any other suggested cine projector.
Anyway ,Iv'e waffled on a bit(SWMBO often says I do anyway)so thanks for accepting me into the dark art of film projection.
Regards.
John

--------------------
"SARAH CONNOR?"
"No, she's just nipped to Sainsbury's. Do you want to come in and wait for her?"

|  IP: Logged

Mark Williams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 18, 2009 05:47 AM      Profile for Mark Williams   Email Mark Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good Morning John

Welcome to the forum!!

It's always great to have another fellow enthusiast join the forum.

I'm sure you will find plenty to interest here.

Cheers Mark W

John Almond
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 18, 2009 06:02 AM      Profile for John Almond     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Morning Mark, enthusiast? maybe not yet [Smile] but when I get my teeth into something I usualy give it 100% hence why I TOTALY BUILT FROM GROUND UP AND CONVERTED THE SINGLE GARAGE INTO THE HOME CINEMA........oops caps left on, sorry.

The guy next door was going to pay someone to take down and take away the old garage, so I got it for nothing and rebuilt it in my back garden.
If anyone is thinking of doing the same I can offer plenty of advice.

--------------------
"SARAH CONNOR?"
"No, she's just nipped to Sainsbury's. Do you want to come in and wait for her?"

Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 18, 2009 06:12 AM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John, welcome.
The price you paid was not high for this model., but it does reflect the problems you face.
The difficulty in threading is often down to bad trimming and curl of the film; read the book carefully on this. The broken sliders are a different matter; the actual controls are no longer made. Bolex(Eumig) will repair them if you remove them yourself but the cost is enormous. I repaired mine myself using parts from other old controls, but it was not easy as access to them requires removing and replacing the amplifier board, which I would not recommend unless you know what you are doing.
The slipping take up is a common fault.
I suggest you search the Forum using Eumig G926 as keywords in various combinations; no doubt others will offer you specific advice,
Once one of these is working properly they are really brilliant machines and much sought after.
Adding a 'scope lens so you can screen 'Scope prints is relatively easy; there are many available, but again search the Forum for advice before you buy. And don't be afraid to ask questions. Good luck,
Martin

--------------------
Retired TV Service Engineer
Ongoing interest in Telecine....

John Almond
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 18, 2009 06:14 AM      Profile for John Almond     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Morning Mark, enthusiast? maybe not yet [Smile] but when I get my teeth into something I usualy give it 100% hence why I TOTALY BUILT FROM GROUND UP AND CONVERTED THE SINGLE GARAGE INTO THE HOME CINEMA........oops caps left on, sorry.

The guy next door was going to pay someone to take down and take away the old garage, so I got it for nothing and rebuilt it in my back garden.

The demo and rebuild can be seen here
http://www.avforums.com/forums/home-cinema-diy/301612-garage-into-cinema-yip-another-one.html

I think you have to be registered to view the photos though

If anyone is thinking of doing the same I can offer plenty of advice.

--------------------
"SARAH CONNOR?"

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted October 18, 2009 07:50 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cheers from America - What particulars are you collecting/selling/trading? - I'm strictly shorts (more or less), as many here will tell you - Shorty

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 18, 2009 08:08 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome. Cool last name.

There's nothing like the taste of celluloid between your cheek and gum ...

Ehh, that's just me being commedian! I hope you find many a great bit O info on the ole forum!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Thomas Murin, Jr.
Master Film Handler

- posted October 18, 2009 09:30 AM      Profile for Thomas Murin, Jr.   Author's Homepage   Email Thomas Murin, Jr.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello, John! I just joined recently myself and have found everyone on this forum to be very friendly and helpful.

Hope you enjoy your time here as much as I do!

--------------------
My crummy Deviant Art account. Read my poetic tribute to the internet comic strip Ozy & Millie and view my crappy attempts at art.

http://cougartiger.deviantart.com/

John Almond
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 18, 2009 10:24 AM      Profile for John Almond     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Cheers from America - What particulars are you collecting/selling/trading? - I'm strictly shorts (more or less), as many here will tell you - Shorty"

Not selling or trading as yet but might be buying soon

--------------------
"SARAH CONNOR?"

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC