8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » DVD movie making,a question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: DVD movie making,a question
Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted October 24, 2009 01:21 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldnt normally ask anything on our forum about this subject but i know there are some good blokes on here that may be able to answer this.
I am at last putting together a wedding dvd shot on a canon DV cam corder. I want to use a photo to do short piece without any sound. Apart from trying a stupid idea of covering the built in mic with tape,(all this did was amplify the sound of the camera)
i cannot see a way of turning off the sound recording. (so easy on super 8 camera by removing the mic)
I use video studio 10 and have tried the capture side menues to see if it allows me to capture the video without the sound but i cant see anything.
Any suggestions?

|  IP: Logged

Christian Bjorgen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 24, 2009 01:55 PM      Profile for Christian Bjorgen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There should be an option to mute the clip in question with the video editor. Other than that, you can use VirtualDub if you have any experience with it. There you can import the video, and just disable the audio stream, then save the video as another clip.

--------------------
Well who’s on first? Yeah. Go ahead and tell me. Who. The guy on first. Who. The guy playin’ first base. Who. The guy on first. Who is on first! What are you askin’ me for? I’m askin’ you!

Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 24, 2009 01:55 PM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom,
I'm not an expert on Studio 10, but I'm sure you can remove the sound (turn it down to zero) during the "Edit" stage by locking the video and then either deleting the corresponding length of sound track, or dragging it down to zero level (page 172 in the User Manual).
If you haven't got the Manual I'll scan you the relevant detail.

Martin.

--------------------
Retired TV Service Engineer
Ongoing interest in Telecine....

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 24, 2009 06:48 PM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree, I can't imagine your editing software wouldn't allow you to insert video without audio.

If all else fails, and if your camera has a provision for an external mic, then just plug a mini connector into the external mic plug (to silence the built-in mics) and re-shoot the scene.

But first I would look again at your editing software... [Wink]

Claus.

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 25, 2009 03:20 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds to me like you just need to scan a photograph Tom. If it's already a digital photograph you just need to drop the jpeg onto the timeline within your editing software.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted October 25, 2009 09:00 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thankd all, i shall check all the options.
[Wink]

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 26, 2009 12:46 AM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quick-n-dirty method is to plug a cable or adapter into the camera's mic jack with nothing else on the other end. You'll still have open circuit noise, but nothing else. Alternatively, plug a pair of headphones into the mic jack. They actually work as microphones, but at a very, very low level.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC