8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Channel 4 3D Week

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Channel 4 3D Week
Ricky Daniels
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 08, 2009 06:47 AM      Profile for Ricky Daniels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.channel4.com/programmes/3d-week

Time to stock-up your supply of Aspirins! [Cool]

|  IP: Logged

Paul Tivy
Film Handler

- posted November 08, 2009 12:04 PM      Profile for Paul Tivy   Email Paul Tivy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was alerted to this by a friend a few days ago. I've put in my bid for fame, as they were asking for ten second clips to use in trailers. Anybody interested enough can find my efforts hereish:
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=mrtivuk&search_type=&aq=f

Tiv

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 08, 2009 12:20 PM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have some of the glasses they provide but they are dark blue and amber ??

any thoughts

Graham S

Paul Tivy
Film Handler

- posted November 08, 2009 12:39 PM      Profile for Paul Tivy   Email Paul Tivy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They're using the Colorcode system Graham. Blue/amber as you say. Basically it's an alternative form of anaglyph to the usual red/cyan and the green/magenta that has seen a recent resurgence. Colour is retained pretty faithfully, but at the loss of one hellofalot of light!

Tiv

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 08, 2009 12:50 PM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know its the colour code system but I thought that the blue was too 'dark' and that it would darken the picture too much. I will have to wait and see. Its just diffenent from the usual light blue and green with red.

Graham S

Paul Tivy
Film Handler

- posted November 08, 2009 12:57 PM      Profile for Paul Tivy   Email Paul Tivy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are a few clips encoded in ColorCode 3D on their site: http://www.colorcode3d.com/gallery/ if you want to check the efficiency of the glasses.

Tiv

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 08, 2009 03:23 PM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My apoligizes Paul, now I realize what the colour code system is. I mistook Colourcode as just being another name for old anaglyph system of red-blue or red-green, that was the confusion. Now I can see why the colours of the glasses are just that.

Many thanks for putting me strait Mr 3D expert [Wink]

Graham S

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted November 09, 2009 03:39 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very cool initiative on Channel 4's end.

The Colorcode system works fine. A few years ago some 3D roller coaster videos (first on laserdiscs then DVD) were released and I was pretty impressed with the quality of the system and its ability to retain the original colours.

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Paul Tivy
Film Handler

- posted November 09, 2009 03:46 AM      Profile for Paul Tivy   Email Paul Tivy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Jean-Marc. There was also Ghosts Of The Abyss, which was released on dvd in ColorCode, but only in Japan for some reason. That one's pretty impressive too.

Tiv

Ricky Daniels
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 12, 2009 08:40 AM      Profile for Ricky Daniels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Paul,

I have a copy of the 3D DVD of 'Ghosts of the Abyss' that I purchased from Amazon Japan, the ColorCode 3D doesn't work on this DVD (projected using a D65 colour calibrated projector) which is a shame as the IMAX presentation was very impressive.

Good luck with your Ch4 entry [Smile]

Rick

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted November 12, 2009 09:31 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul,
Could you please explain the Colorcode system, and how it differs from the normal red-green Anaglyph system?

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 12, 2009 12:53 PM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul (Adsett),

This will probably help

http://www.3djournal.com/001/artic38.php
( must read it myself, sometime!).
Martin

--------------------
Retired TV Service Engineer
Ongoing interest in Telecine....

Paul Tivy
Film Handler

- posted November 12, 2009 02:02 PM      Profile for Paul Tivy   Email Paul Tivy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice article that, Martin. Saved me a job! It is basically a souped up anaglyph system, but as it's a patented process it's extremely difficult to find out exactly what the improvements are. They don't even tell you, except in general terms on ColorCode's own web site!

Rick, I have the japanese Ghosts Of The Abyss dvd too. I didn't bother to project it, but it looked quite good on my (32" LCD) TV. Some ghosting though. Thanks for wishing me good luck. In fact Channel 4 has picked four of the five clips I submitted and fingers crossed, they will be broadcast next week. It's not guaranteed though, as the resolution may not be good enough. I was caught on the hop in Holland and the only camera I had with me was my Fuji W1. Mainly a stills camera, it's maximum resolution for video is only 640X480. The stop-frame animation clip however was created using the photo mode in much higher resolution, so I'm on safer ground there.

Tiv

Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 12, 2009 02:29 PM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul (Tivy),
Here's another one you may not have seen...trawl around the Site, not just this page.

http://www.the3drevolution.com/3dscreen.html#lensadapter

Martin.

--------------------
Retired TV Service Engineer
Ongoing interest in Telecine....

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 12, 2009 02:34 PM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I take it then that this channel 4 documentry on the queens coronation wasnt originally filmed in colorcode. Was it filmed in anaglyph and converted on a computer to the colourcode system? If this is the case, personally I would rather see the queens footage in the original colours even if it is is slightly inferior.

Paul Tivy
Film Handler

- posted November 12, 2009 02:43 PM      Profile for Paul Tivy   Email Paul Tivy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Graham, the film would originally have been filmed with a two camera (or equivalent two lens) rig and projected in full colour on a polarised screen. It's common myth that 3D films of the '50s were projected in anaglyph and they certainly weren't filmed that way. Here's a fun page which lists this and other myths associated with 3D:

http://www.3dfilmpf.org/info-top-10-3D-myths.html

Tiv

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 12, 2009 03:16 PM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, thanks for putting me right again. Yes youre right that when I think of 3D films of the 50s and 60s I just instantly think of Red-Blue and Red-Green films purely because that is all I ever see. I could list loads of them Creature, Mad magician, Three stooges, Trafalguar square, Audioscopiks, Came from outer space, etc. All filmed with the Analyglyph, and super 8 is lucky to have many titles in 3D.

I did once see a demonstration of Polorarized 3D many years ago at the NFT in london. Some were on 16mm in the 'doorframe' format. I was impressed but the picture was so narrow you had to be clever in the shots taken to make a worthwhile film.

I cant wait to see the queen documentry, glasses ready waiting.

Graham S

Paul Tivy
Film Handler

- posted November 12, 2009 03:31 PM      Profile for Paul Tivy   Email Paul Tivy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was lucky enough to see House Of Wax and Dial M For Murder at the NFT in polarised projection a few years ago and the effect was much better than any anaglyph presentation I've seen. I have a field sequential projection system myself, which is almost as good, but polarised is definitely the best!

Tiv

Paul Tivy
Film Handler

- posted November 12, 2009 03:32 PM      Profile for Paul Tivy   Email Paul Tivy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was lucky enough to see House Of Wax and Dial M For Murder at the NFT in polarised projection a few years ago and the effect was much better than any anaglyph presentation I've seen. I have a field sequential projection system myself, which is almost as good, but polarised is definitely the best!

Tiv

Paul Tivy
Film Handler

- posted November 19, 2009 12:42 PM      Profile for Paul Tivy   Email Paul Tivy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Got confirmation today that Channel 4 will be showing one of my 3D clips after Friday The 13th Part III tomorrow night. They didn't say which one though.

Tiv

Darren Payne
Film Handler

- posted November 24, 2009 06:19 AM      Profile for Darren Payne   Email Darren Payne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, great link to those 3D 'myths'. I was fortunate enough to show House of Wax at the Cannon Southampton, during the 1989 Film Festival. The 35mm print had a full frame polarized vertically squeezed image.

We had to be inventive and use the polarized lens with an anamorphic attachment to unsqueeze the image back to 1.33:1 (or there abouts!)

Luckily the silver screen was still in place in screen 1 from the earlier mid eighties 3D revival and remember cranking up the 2K xenon current (90 amps plus!) to get as much light as we could.

Great fun.

Darren

Ricky Daniels
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 29, 2009 05:55 AM      Profile for Ricky Daniels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Darren,
You screened the anamorphic side-by-side re-release print so no problems with sync drift! Paul, (and I) saw the NFT screening of HOW in Dual projection polarised with an intermission for a 6000' reel change just like the original release and I must say the print was superb.

Paul,
Congratulations on your trial screening, I saw it pop-up (or out!) twice and I have it on DVD now ;-)

Best,
Rick

[ May 06, 2011, 07:25 AM: Message edited by: Ricky Daniels ]

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC