8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Richard Todd...Screen Legend

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Richard Todd...Screen Legend
Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 04, 2009 07:45 AM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Today a real Legend of the Silver screen left us with only memories. The unforgettable British screen Actor Richard Todd died, aged 90.
Noted for a string of British War films, best known amongst them "THE DAM BUSTERS", and for many others including "THE HASTY HEART" (with Ronald Reagan), he was the epitome of the "stiff upper lip" Englishman, and was personally a model of all that is special in a real gentleman.
Sadly missed.
Martin Jones

--------------------
Retired TV Service Engineer
Ongoing interest in Telecine....

|  IP: Logged

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted December 04, 2009 01:04 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry to hear that Martin. Yes Richard Todd was one of the greats of the British cinema. He epitomized all the characteristics that everybody in other countries admires about the British people. I believe his 'home' studio was Associated British Pathe in Elstree, where of course he made ' The Dambusters'. As you say, a true gentleman - I have never heard or read a bad word about him. He was a great favourite of mine and whenever I hear the Dambusters theme his jaunty image immediately comes to mind.

-

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 04, 2009 07:01 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wasn't Richard Todd in Hitchcock's "Stage Fright" from 1950 with Jane Wyman? He played the hero/villan of the picture. I really like that one. It is very under-rated.

That's the only thing I have seen him in.

Bill

Patrick Walsh
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 04, 2009 10:05 PM      Profile for Patrick Walsh   Email Patrick Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember him in THE LONGEST DAY.
RIP Richard
Patrick

--------------------
"Raise The Titanic!", It would of been cheaper to lower the Atlantic!

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC