8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » What line of work are you in? (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: What line of work are you in?
Stewart John Boyle
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 15, 2010 11:37 AM      Profile for Stewart John Boyle   Email Stewart John Boyle   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am the Chief Projectionist of the Guiness World Record holder,Tallest Cinema in the world.The 18 screen multiplex in Glasgow,Scotland
Regards
Stewart

--------------------
I`ve, seen things you people wouldn`t believe,

|  IP: Logged

Lars-Goran Ahlm
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 15, 2010 03:23 PM      Profile for Lars-Goran Ahlm   Email Lars-Goran Ahlm   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the help Winbert.

regards

--------------------
"The trouble with these international affairs is that they attract foreigners"

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted January 15, 2010 04:00 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Stewart
Any chance of some info and photos of the cinema where you work 18 screens is a big place, sounds very interesting.

Graham.

Stewart John Boyle
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 15, 2010 09:09 PM      Profile for Stewart John Boyle   Email Stewart John Boyle   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sure Graham, here`s my flea pit...

-

So many stairs.. when the lift breaks down..
Stewart

--------------------

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted January 15, 2010 09:38 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stewart
Thats one...big... flea pit [Smile] thats really something, any more photos.

Ta Graham. [Smile]

Stewart John Boyle
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 15, 2010 09:50 PM      Profile for Stewart John Boyle   Email Stewart John Boyle   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
1 More
 -

Stewart

--------------------

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted January 15, 2010 10:15 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Stewart

Hope you dont mind me asking, do you still use 35mm? or has the switch been made to fully Digital Projection.

Graham

Thomas Murin, Jr.
Master Film Handler

- posted January 15, 2010 10:40 PM      Profile for Thomas Murin, Jr.   Author's Homepage   Email Thomas Murin, Jr.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting, Stewart! I hear ya about the stairs. I once worked in a theater that had NO elevators and TWO projection booths. One booth had 6 projectors and the other 4.

The booths were located across the lobby from each other. One had two loooong flights of stairs and the other 3 flights. On top of that, the doors to the stairs had keypad locks you had to enter each time you needed to go there. Once you got to the top of the stairs, you needed to punch another code into the keypad to the door to the booth!

I lasted 3 weeks in that place before I quit. I was exhausted after the end of each day. I was actually worried about having a heart attack, particularly on film day when we had to carry the cannisters of new prints up all those stairs.

The theater I now work at has all 10 projectors spread out over one long hallway. Much easier. And when the elevator is out, it's just two short flights to the booth. Just one keypad to enter the stairwell. This year, I'll have been there 9 years. I think that says it all.

Looks like we will be going digital this year as I just learned we got our funding for it. I guess I'll learn more at the managers meeting next Saturday.

--------------------
My crummy Deviant Art account. Read my poetic tribute to the internet comic strip Ozy & Millie and view my crappy attempts at art.

http://cougartiger.deviantart.com/

Stewart John Boyle
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 16, 2010 04:36 AM      Profile for Stewart John Boyle   Email Stewart John Boyle   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have 17,Kinoton Fp 30 `s plus 1 Fp 50 for our largest screen,
6 of our screen`s have Digital projection too!!
12 of the screens can be interlocked. All screens have Cp650`s.
Regards
Stewart

--------------------

John Davis
Master Film Handler

- posted January 16, 2010 05:10 AM      Profile for John Davis   Email John Davis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Stewart,
I think your cinema is on the site of what was the world famous Glasgow Apollo - of the famous 'bouncing balcony'.
At the time the Apollo showed films (in it's days as Green's Playhouse) I think this made it Europe's biggest cinema.
In fact the Green's playhouse was a little self contained empire because above the theatre/cinema auditorium, there was a very large dance hall and above this all the offices including printing presses.
You'll probably know all this but it's a great piece of cinema heritage and might ring the odd bell with other members,
John

Stewart John Boyle
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 16, 2010 05:40 AM      Profile for Stewart John Boyle   Email Stewart John Boyle   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Absolutely correct John [Smile]
Regards
Stewart

--------------------

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted January 16, 2010 05:50 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What the feck is "Fucking Amal"?

Stewart John Boyle
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 16, 2010 12:34 PM      Profile for Stewart John Boyle   Email Stewart John Boyle   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its a Film,
You can check it out on IMDB.com
Regards
Stewart

--------------------

Stuart Fyvie
Film Handler

- posted January 16, 2010 01:59 PM      Profile for Stuart Fyvie   Email Stuart Fyvie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm working in the post production side of the Industry in Digital Colour correction. I got here mainly because of my interest in 8mm as a youngster. Here is me behind the desk with the DOP Seamus Mcgarvey on 'Nowhere Boy'. Also I had the pleasure to work with this gentleman for a day. Hint- 'Fighting Skeletons'....

-

- http://8mmforum.film-tech.com/cgi-bin/showpic.cgi?dir=uploads0503&file=Ray2.jpg[/IMG]

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted January 16, 2010 02:17 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you have any photos of the booth, Stewart?

Christian Bjorgen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 16, 2010 02:38 PM      Profile for Christian Bjorgen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A bit off topic, but seeing Stewarts pictures I felt the need to say it:

I talked to the local cinema chief, and he gave me permission to visit and take some photos of the booth! [Smile] We still use 35mm here, so the nostalgia is there [Wink]

--------------------
Well who’s on first? Yeah. Go ahead and tell me. Who. The guy on first. Who. The guy playin’ first base. Who. The guy on first. Who is on first! What are you askin’ me for? I’m askin’ you!

Stuart Fyvie
Film Handler

- posted January 16, 2010 02:46 PM      Profile for Stuart Fyvie   Email Stuart Fyvie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, there isn't a booth as such, just a big digital projector above my head! Once the film is graded we shoot it out back onto 35mm using an ARRI film recorder. We then watch it at the labs preview theatre , I can take photos of the booth and machines if anyone is interested.

Stuart

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted January 16, 2010 02:49 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The question was directed at Stewart, Stuart!!!
[Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Steven J Kirk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 16, 2010 03:10 PM      Profile for Steven J Kirk   Email Steven J Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Those 17 Kinotons! Any idea of the ballpark price of a FP30 Stewart? I've been looking at the FP38E as a holy grail purchase. That is the 16/35 one. I take it a Kinoton is £5-10,000 depending on options?

--------------------
VistaVision
Motion Picture High-Fidelity

Stuart Fyvie
Film Handler

- posted January 16, 2010 03:12 PM      Profile for Stuart Fyvie   Email Stuart Fyvie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
People always get my name spelt wrong......! That is a Big A*** multiplex though!

Stuart

John Davis
Master Film Handler

- posted January 16, 2010 04:13 PM      Profile for John Davis   Email John Davis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Stuart, as a youngster were you at Edinburgh Cine Society?
John

Stuart Fyvie
Film Handler

- posted January 16, 2010 04:32 PM      Profile for Stuart Fyvie   Email Stuart Fyvie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, for about 5 years, I still keep in touch with some of them,

Stuart

John Davis
Master Film Handler

- posted January 16, 2010 04:52 PM      Profile for John Davis   Email John Davis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used to go to Edinburgh as well as part of the 'Dunfermline posse'.
We used to go to the Ping On chinese restaurant before the club meetings, but eventually the meal became a bigger deal than the club night (this was the days when the club had separate cine and video evenings)
I know at the time you were highly regarded in the club for your films and everyone hoped your talents would take you far, so it's great to see you got into film production,
John

Stewart John Boyle
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 16, 2010 05:04 PM      Profile for Stewart John Boyle   Email Stewart John Boyle   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steven,
There isn`t really alot of options you can purchase for the Fp 30`s, they are very reliable,functional projectors. They have a wonderfully curved gate that give you great focus even at the most extremes of the image,xenon focusing is childs play.
I think back in 2001 the price for each fp30 was roughly £9,000 and the Fp 50 was £14,000,the Fp50 was a relatively new model back then.

Stewart

--------------------

Stuart Fyvie
Film Handler

- posted January 16, 2010 06:15 PM      Profile for Stuart Fyvie   Email Stuart Fyvie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John , contact me through

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=257863674107

Cheers,
Stuart.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC