8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Why so few women? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Why so few women?
Stewart John Boyle
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 15, 2010 11:59 AM      Profile for Stewart John Boyle   Email Stewart John Boyle   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just so i dont get jailed or anything,I think most males are geeky selfish pigs.. [Wink] Im sure women love collecting 50 year old technology as much as the next man..erm person.. [Smile]
Stewart

--------------------
I`ve, seen things you people wouldn`t believe,

|  IP: Logged

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted January 15, 2010 12:45 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John
Years ago when I worked on aircraft we had a young girl come to us with high hopes of getting an apprentiship as an aircraft engineer, she spent months doing "work experience" with us with no pay. It was hard for her to break into something that was mostly a male thing she really had a tough time to prove herself, near the end she came to me with the thought of giving up "I suggested not to" there was some opposition because she was female, soon after the engineering manager spoke to me and a couple of others with the question would I give her an apprentiship I said yes and later that day she was offered the job.

Over the years she turned out to be one of the best I have worked with.. myself I was surprised how narrow minded some people were, however in time all that changed for the better but it took a while.

Graham.

David Erskine
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 15, 2010 01:17 PM      Profile for David Erskine   Email David Erskine   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Carol (my lady) used to shlepp to Ealing - and before that to Watermans, Red Lion Square and Derann - but now she only comes to Blackpool. She likes me to have my hobby - and does all the clever physical work in the cinema - she has all her own De Walt power tools! She has cost me a fortune! One Derann open day she said I didn't need any more films - then 'bought' 4 figures worth. Why 'bought'? 'Cos she left me to pay for them!!!
With her help, I'll get the cinema up and running properly - hopefully this year. And, yes, she still prefers to sling a DVD in and watch on a 23" screen. Go figure!
Cheers, David E

--------------------
I've NEVER let failure go to MY head!

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 16, 2010 04:33 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Let's face it, women have only really had the chance to do traditionally male jobs in relatively recent years (thanks mainly to modern contraception). So many girls have opportunities undreamed of years ago if they wish to apply themselves. Currently few still go in for engineering but the last year I was at John Brown Engineers there were an increasing amount so I expect that will improve. Involvement in such jobs must surely increase interest in mechanical things and therefore mechanical hobbies. Time will tell. Whatever happens I don't see women being into film collecting to anywhere near the level of fellas!

Perhaps if we made soap operas illegal that would help!

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC