8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Will 3D become the norm? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Will 3D become the norm?
Stewart John Boyle
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 16, 2010 01:41 PM      Profile for Stewart John Boyle   Email Stewart John Boyle   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all
I feel,that the current 3D rebirth will pass as every other 3D phase in the past has done. How do other members feel about this? To me the prospect of having to wear the glasses all or most of the time you go to the movies fills me with dread [Frown]
Regards
Stewart

--------------------
I`ve, seen things you people wouldn`t believe,

|  IP: Logged

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted January 16, 2010 01:46 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's just a fad, IMO.

Look back at movie history - it's been around before.

Steven J Kirk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 16, 2010 03:04 PM      Profile for Steven J Kirk   Email Steven J Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hope it WILL pass, I don't like it. It adds nothing to the Art of film and only distracts.

--------------------
VistaVision
Motion Picture High-Fidelity

Darren Payne
Film Handler

- posted January 16, 2010 03:32 PM      Profile for Darren Payne   Email Darren Payne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Disagree. More 3D films have/are being produced than ever before with many more in pre-production for 2011, 2012 and beyond, where a 2D version of the same film is playing in theatres (multiple prints), the 3D gross is greater by approximately 70-80%

Biggest grossing film of all time? Avatar 3D.

Digital equipment roll outs this year and next within Odeons estate are all 3D (Real D) capable.

It will certainly be around for a while yet.

Thomas Murin, Jr.
Master Film Handler

- posted January 16, 2010 04:28 PM      Profile for Thomas Murin, Jr.   Author's Homepage   Email Thomas Murin, Jr.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steven, Hitchock used the 3-D for Dial "M" For Murder to open up what would otherwise be nothing more than a filmed stage play (which it is). Having seen it both ways (via field sequential 3-D), I feel the films is more involving in 3-D.

James Cameron worked hard to use 3-D to enhance Avatar, not distract. Looking at the 2D print in our theater, there are no obvious attempts to throw things at the viewer.

Also, having been just old enough to actually see House Of Wax on it's last theatrical re-release in 1981 (I was 11), I can tell you that movie plays MUCH better in 3-D, much more suspensful.

--------------------
My crummy Deviant Art account. Read my poetic tribute to the internet comic strip Ozy & Millie and view my crappy attempts at art.

http://cougartiger.deviantart.com/

Stewart John Boyle
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 16, 2010 05:30 PM      Profile for Stewart John Boyle   Email Stewart John Boyle   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
George Lucas will be releasing A New Hope in 3d shortly,i cant see the attraction being honest. Unless its the original cut.
Stewart

--------------------
I`ve, seen things you people wouldn`t believe,

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted January 16, 2010 05:39 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I saw A Christmas Carol in 3D it didn't feel at all like the gimmicky old style 3D from years ago, it was new and different.

I started to wonder if maybe it won't be enough for movie viewers to see a movie in 2D in a few years.

By the same token, I wonder how well this will transfer over to home presentation. How large a screen does this take to be effective and will it be immersive enough in normally lit rooms.

You'll know if it’s for real the day you go to your optometrist and he asks if you also want a pair of cinema glasses made in your prescription.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 16, 2010 05:54 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thomas...I am a big Hitchcock fan and I am wondering how you saw DIAL 'M' FOR MURDER in 3D? I didn't think it was ever released in 3D because at the time the fad had died down. I know it was filmed in 3D.

I want to see it in 3D!!

Bill

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted January 17, 2010 02:50 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bill,

I also saw DIAL M in 3D in 1984 in a cinema in Tottenham Court Road, London. I guess there must've been a limited run re-release at the time.

My opinion is that it made no difference to the film - the film plays just as well without it. It DID give me a migraine though!!

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 17, 2010 04:08 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I enjoy the novelty of 3D occasionally but I can't imagine wearing the glasses every time I go to the cinema. I'd rather look at a nice 'Scope widescreen with pin-sharp definition. The LCD glasses are great but every time???

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Thomas Murin, Jr.
Master Film Handler

- posted January 17, 2010 09:03 AM      Profile for Thomas Murin, Jr.   Author's Homepage   Email Thomas Murin, Jr.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bill, Dial "M"'s original 1954 release was in 3-D and a fairly big hit for Warner Bros.

As I was born in 1970, clearly I didn't see it then. LOL! A few years ago, I got a bootleg DVD made from the Japanese VHD disc which was in field sequential (similar to IMAX) 3-D. It uses shutter glasses and the quality is excellent.

Anyway, the improved technology for 3-D ensures that it will be around for some time to come. The home version will arrive later this year as the Blu-Ray specs have recently been finalized.

The initial release of Avatar on Blu-Ray will be 2-D only with a 2-D/3-D combo due out later in the year. In addition, Dreamworks has already announced a re-release of Monsters Vs. Aliens in 3-D sometime this year. All 3-D Blu-Rays will be required to have a 2-D version.

No, it's not going away this time. I suspect 3-D will finally become a regular fixture in cinemas. I also believe that 2-D movies will continue to be made.

As for the glasses issue, there is already work being done in holography which would allow for glasses free 3-D.

Finally, I would suggest anyone with an interest in 3-D to track down a copy of the out of print book Amazing 3-D by Hal Morgan and Daniel L. Symmes. It's an excellent read covering everything 3-D in various media up to the early 1980's. The book also has tons of anaglyph pictures including entire comic book stories. It's well worth tracking down.

--------------------
My crummy Deviant Art account. Read my poetic tribute to the internet comic strip Ozy & Millie and view my crappy attempts at art.

http://cougartiger.deviantart.com/

Steven J Kirk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 17, 2010 09:24 AM      Profile for Steven J Kirk   Email Steven J Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw DIAL M FOR MURDER at the ICA Arts Centre. It must have been around 1984. I really didn't feel it added to it and although technically I can see the interest it remains an unwanted addition for me. In fact, I'm not a huge fan of full surround sound either but I do like the centre speaker for dialogue on 5.1. I'm not an old fogey either, only 46 but hey, bring back black and white and mono sound too!

--------------------
VistaVision
Motion Picture High-Fidelity

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted January 17, 2010 12:21 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At the moment 3D is doing very well in particular with Avatar [Roll Eyes] last year I would have said its just a passing phase now I dont think so, its here to stay, however as they say what goes up must come down and as such I think the hype driven interest in 3D will drop and find a certain level with a particular type of audience.

Graham.

Mark Williams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 17, 2010 01:02 PM      Profile for Mark Williams   Email Mark Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Like or loathe it 3-D is here to stay!!!

The mega successfull release of AVATAR over x-mas has really raised the bar here and is reported to be fully booked up until February.

The trailers for TOY STORY 2,PLANET TERRA & TIM BURTONS ALICE IN WONDERLAND were all very impressive when viewed in 3-D yesterday @ my local Cineworld.

And of course AVATAR in its digital format was simply stunning with perfect definition and none of the old crap 3-D gimmicks of old.

I felt the 2-D version dragged a bit in the middle wherin the 3-D version did not due to the wonderful 3-D imagery on display.

Cheers MW

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 17, 2010 01:58 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's fine with me about 3D sticking around but I hope they don't go overboard with it. I certainly don't want every film coming out 3D!

About DIAL 'M'...I am almost certain that on it's first release in 1954 it was not shown in 3D. I have read many books about Alfred and I know I have seen this stated many times. Although I could be wrong. I love the film even without the 3D effect.

Has anyone seen the film on it's first run and can confirm this?
Thomas I didn't mean to infer you had seen the film back in 1954! Sorry!

Bill

Ricky Daniels
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 19, 2010 06:40 AM      Profile for Ricky Daniels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Digital 3D will stick around for sure because it brings in more revenue for the studios and it's just the beginning [Wink]

Mark Williams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 19, 2010 06:47 AM      Profile for Mark Williams   Email Mark Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
AVATAR has taken $1.6 bn (£979m) so far upon its release worldwide so do the math!!

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted January 19, 2010 10:54 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree that it's probably here to stay but I don't think it will take over and it may continue to be a relatively small proportion of films made. I don't know if it costs a lot more to make a film in 3D, but I suppose the recent releases have been films with a fairly, or very, high budget.

One important point (perhaps Darren or someone with knowldege of this can comment) is what sort of proportion of the digital projectors now in use in cinemas can present films in 3D? If many can't, would a cinema need to install a new one to show 3D? If so, there must be cinemas that are unwilling to make a similar investment in digital projection again so soon. On the other hand, it seems that there could be a new era of cinemas showing 3D via 35mm! (See the Avatar thread for more about this.)

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Mark Williams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 19, 2010 12:37 PM      Profile for Mark Williams   Email Mark Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A Hollywood insider friend says that in 10 yrs time it will be normal for all big budget blockbusters to be released exclusively in the 3-D format.

What with SPIELBERG,LUCAS and JACKSON now working on 3-D movies the future looks very bright indeed.

Digital 3-D projection is far superior to 35mm in my humble opion and that looks like the way it will go for the future.

I believe a special digital projector is currently required for 3-D presentations.

Patrick Walsh
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 19, 2010 05:02 PM      Profile for Patrick Walsh   Email Patrick Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I own a cinema and I can not afford to put a digital projector in to show 3d films, the price of the projector and a sliver screen is worth more than my whole cinema is worth!
I am looking with interest at the Thompson-Technicolor system.
Pat

--------------------
"Raise The Titanic!", It would of been cheaper to lower the Atlantic!

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted January 19, 2010 05:26 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Patrick - that helps put things in perspective! Would the cost of a digital projector suitable for 3D be a lot more than one that's not suitable for 3D?

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Patrick Walsh
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 19, 2010 06:14 PM      Profile for Patrick Walsh   Email Patrick Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Adrian
The latest digital projectors in use around here can play normal movies as well as 3d ones.
The cost of the projector itelf here is $NZ200,000, and the silver screen is about $NZ15,000 and the installation is another 20k so it is very expensive, so I say why replace somthing that is doing the job fine.
There is under 10 screens in the whole county that can show electronic 3d.

--------------------
"Raise The Titanic!", It would of been cheaper to lower the Atlantic!

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 19, 2010 06:42 PM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Darren Payne wrote:
quote:
It will certainly be around for a while yet.

I do think the same.

--------------------
I remember when I was (super) 8 years old...

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted January 19, 2010 07:42 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It'll be around to stay, but not for all films. After all, what 3D thrills would you get in a romantic film, (wait a minute, I shouldn't have asked that! 3D close-ups of sex scenes!)

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Joerg Polzfusz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 20, 2010 01:34 AM      Profile for Joerg Polzfusz   Author's Homepage   Email Joerg Polzfusz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

so the crowd is storming the cinemas to see "Avatar"...
... but is this because it's a Cameron-film? Because it's a topic that hasn't been stressed to much the last years (AFAIK the last major "endangered primitive tribe"-film was "Dances with Wolves" in 1990)? Or because of that "new" 3D-technique?
And what will the audience think of "digital 3D" once the novelty wore off? Will "digital 3D" turn into a "box office poison" in a year or two when the only "digital 3D"-movies will be sequels, prequels, remakes and re-releases of cheesy 2D-videos? (The 3D-cinema of the 1950s didn't die because of technical problems, but because of the fact that at least 95% of all 3D-movies have been at best cheap "B" movies!) And will "digital 3D" still make the people go into the cinemas once Panasonic's "digital 3D bluray home entertainment system" got released?
There have been other "digital 3D"-movies before "Avatar", e.g. "Ice Age 3". And none of them had been a real blockbuster!

Jörg

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC