8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Can b&w-prints bleach?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Can b&w-prints bleach?
Joerg Polzfusz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 09, 2010 06:55 AM      Profile for Joerg Polzfusz   Author's Homepage   Email Joerg Polzfusz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

yesterday evening I screened a couple of "new" films:
  • Bugs Bunny cartoon (probably full length): Reddish + sound sucks
  • Erdbeben ("Earthquake", 120m digest): Reddish
  • "Two tars" (Blackhawk b/w print, probably full length, English titles, silent version with music): Instead of watching a b&w-film, it was more like watching a white&white-film: Everything that was supposed to be light to medium grey, was now white. And everything that was supposed to be dark grey to black was now medium grey at best. Is this due to a fault when the print got created? Or does a b&w-print "bleach" (instead of becoming reddish like the colour-prints)?
Jörg
P.S.: Yes, it was one of those times when you want to throw away all films and those outdated devices [Frown]
P.P.S.: Two images to demonstrate how the film looks like opposed to a frame from a webpage:
Webpage:
 -

My Print:
 -

[ February 09, 2010, 10:11 AM: Message edited by: Joerg Polzfusz ]

|  IP: Logged

Tony Stucchio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 09, 2010 06:52 PM      Profile for Tony Stucchio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When you cleaned them, did you use cold water/gentle cycle?
[Big Grin]

Seriously, though...

In the TWO TARS case, sounds like you got a lab defect print.

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted February 09, 2010 07:07 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I prefer cold water. [Big Grin]

It could have been the source print, lab work, etc., but I have never heard of B/W stock fading. I have seen B/W films printed on Eastman color stock turn pink. John Whittle will know.

John Whittle
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 11, 2010 11:19 AM      Profile for John Whittle   Email John Whittle       Edit/Delete Post 
The black and white print would be easy to explain if it's always been that way. After all prints are made by exposing a negative to print stock and then developing the print.

Now if the exposure of the negative to the print is at the wrong light (print light output) which would appear here to be too little light (more light = darker print) with normal development OR normal print with development too short or too cold a developer.

There are problems that can happen to processed good prints due to processing problems (improper washing leaving fixer salts in the film) and storage problems (safety film stored with nitrate film can results in fading of the safety film image) with certain atmospheric problems in areas which a lot of factories with heavy sulfur in smoke exhaust and on and on.

I would suspect the first problem. A print made with the wrong printer setting which should have been rejected by the lab (and maybe it was and it walked out with a lab employee--it wouldn't be the first such story of how prints got into the hands of collectors. I think there was a Technicolor employee arrested back in the early 1970s for such actions.)

John

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC