8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » 35mm to 4K Digital Projection-Conversion (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: 35mm to 4K Digital Projection-Conversion
Mark Williams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 14, 2010 04:18 AM      Profile for Mark Williams   Email Mark Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just found this other at another forum,some great pictures too.

http://www.cultmovieforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16984

|  IP: Logged

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted February 14, 2010 04:43 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That just irritates the hell outa me....and you know what?? It makes me feel pretty sad too.

With this digital business - is it necessary to turn the lights down anymore?? Will that be the next thing to go, perhaps for Health and Safety reasons??

What a heapa crap!!

John Davis
Master Film Handler

- posted February 14, 2010 04:56 AM      Profile for John Davis   Email John Davis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Michael,
you know what's also sad, the moment you mentioned Health and Safety I knew you were based in the UK. Your comment about the lights will probably become true. My perception even now is light levels in cinemas during the film are much higher than in the past.
John

Mark Williams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 14, 2010 05:37 AM      Profile for Mark Williams   Email Mark Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike,I believe the lights still have to be off to get the best out of the silver screen.

35mm has had a very very long run at the Cinema's so perhaps its time that we openly welcome the new digital technology on offer??

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted February 14, 2010 05:54 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, Mark, to disagree but, no it's not time, because it's not to be welcomed. But, that's just my opinion [Smile]

The 35mm print is a film - which is what I pay to see when I go to the cinema. The other thing is a piece of digital information that says "this is a film " - not for me, thank you!

If people want to watch that kind of thing then just stay at home and watch a DVD - but, I realise of course that the majority of the film-going public think the film they see in the cinemas is a DVD already and couldn't care less about film vs digital debates. Just as long as the Coke is in a big enough bucket and the popcorn is in a packing box that'll be OK.

There ya go!

Mark Williams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 14, 2010 07:09 AM      Profile for Mark Williams   Email Mark Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No probs Mike,everyone is entitled to there own opion on this thorny matter,as you say Joe Public are really just concerned with the trimmings that go with a cinema visit these days imagine Cineword running out of Coca Cola there would be a riot!!

And they really don't care what format they are watching anyway.

Luckily my local cinema still runs only 35mm so I am spoiled really.

Cheers MW

Christian Bjorgen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 14, 2010 08:25 AM      Profile for Christian Bjorgen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Local cinema here also runs 35 mm exclusively for now, but the digital revolution is coming closer here aswell [Frown]

For me, I don't mind digital projection as long as they make the movie itself with actual film. Digital recording is shite unless you have super-expensive dual-HD cameras.

--------------------
Well who’s on first? Yeah. Go ahead and tell me. Who. The guy on first. Who. The guy playin’ first base. Who. The guy on first. Who is on first! What are you askin’ me for? I’m askin’ you!

Barry Johnson
Master Film Handler

- posted February 14, 2010 11:00 AM      Profile for Barry Johnson   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All I will say is thank heavens for all those of 70mm film preservation groups and exhibitors.Lets keep what we have for as long as we can.

--------------------
Standard8 rules!!

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted February 14, 2010 12:38 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Christian,

That's partly the point. If the movie itself is made with actual film, then that's what we should see - not a digital representation of what's on that film.
[Smile]

Mark Williams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 14, 2010 12:47 PM      Profile for Mark Williams   Email Mark Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And if a film is entirely shot on digital then surely the best way to see it is in a digital presentation and not transfered to film such as the recent PUBLIC ENEMIES which apparently lacked something when shown in 35mm.

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted February 14, 2010 12:58 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
.....which leads onto another discussion....
Are movies eventually going be shot digitally? Will film disappear forever?

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 14, 2010 02:03 PM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not in my house [Wink] [Wink] !

--------------------
I remember when I was (super) 8 years old...

Mikael Barnard
Film Handler

- posted February 14, 2010 03:12 PM      Profile for Mikael Barnard   Email Mikael Barnard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
About 3 or 4 years ago I was lucky enough to attend one of the special cinema screenings of the restored version of the Star Trek pilot 'The Cage'. Being the mad film, Star Trek and Susan Oliver fan that I am I couldn't pass up the opportunity and went along knowing full well it would be from one of those evil digital projectors. The image itself was fine, very nice in fact. Digital does have its advantages, no print damage courtesy of poor equipment or crap projectionists for one, I'm just an old stick in the mud in a 25 year old's body who prefers messing about with proper film.

It wasn't the image quality. What would have made me walk out had it been practically any other film (particularly a modern one) was right at the start. The curtains drew back and in the top left corner of the screen was a SODDING PLAY TRIANGLE! (you know, the '>' symbol) Er, no! If I want to see that sort of thing I have my DVD player. Maybe it's just me but that made me so angry. Bye bye showmanship.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted February 14, 2010 07:23 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
For starters, that theater had crap 35mm equipment. Odds are too that they let things go over time, but some things like the screens being old (they lose their reflectivity with age) and are not comparing apples to apples (the digital stuff had brand new xenon bulbs...and most certainly larger ones too). Well duh, its no surprise that the digital looked better.

Also note there is no 4K content available. At least not yet, so everything is still 2K.

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted February 14, 2010 08:18 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What's striking about this is that money must be no object at the cinema in question - some can't afford to change one screen to digital, let alone 9 at the same time! It also seems crazy to clear out 35mm from every screen, considering that most cinemas will sometimes want to show films not available in digital form.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted February 14, 2010 10:22 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting, I wonder how much an instalation like that costs? the "life" and price of the Xenon lamp compared with say a 35mm projector? "running cost hour wise" Unlike 35mm which has a proven track record of around 100 years will that VP be as reliable say in 10 years time? I guess you would have to have a good service contract as I can imagine parts and labour if needed being very expensive, its not exactly like the projectionist changing the oil and belts in a 35mm. [Wink]

Graham. [Smile]

Stuart Fyvie
Film Handler

- posted February 15, 2010 02:06 AM      Profile for Stuart Fyvie   Email Stuart Fyvie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The sales of brand new 35mm projectors still outperform Digital Barco's and the like by a considerable margin......

Stuart

Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 15, 2010 04:54 AM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My own personal feeling is that out of respect for the completely different technology we need a completely new name for this form of presentation.
The words "Cinema" or "Movie Theater" have a specific definition resulting both from their origins and from the continued use of a specific technology, that of the exhibition of moving images based on the "persistence of vision" recorded as sequential images on photographic film and presented therefrom, which has been substantially remained unchanged (except for improvements in its implementation) for over 100 years.
"Presentation" is completely separate from "Filming", so while "Digital Presentation" can present material CONVERTED from photographic film to Video, "Cinema" cannot present material originating from Video Recording.
In that respect the two forms of presentation are completely different, and deserve their individual identities.
Perhaps "Videodrome" or "Video Theater"?
Martin

--------------------
Retired TV Service Engineer
Ongoing interest in Telecine....

Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 15, 2010 07:52 AM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry posted twice
Martin

--------------------
Retired TV Service Engineer
Ongoing interest in Telecine....

Larry Arpin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 15, 2010 09:15 AM      Profile for Larry Arpin   Author's Homepage   Email Larry Arpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
PUBLIC ENEMIES would have looked just as bad digitally presented as it did on 35mm as it was shot with a crappy digital camera.

Mark Williams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 15, 2010 11:32 AM      Profile for Mark Williams   Email Mark Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi-Larry,PUBLIC ENEMIES looked outstanding on its native digital format DVD!!

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted February 16, 2010 09:08 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
SONY is just everywhere.

I have a 1980s "My First SONY" that is a simple drawing computer to be hooked up to a TV (This is a toy for first learner kids).

And the picutre above is a huge 4K projector, ...still with the same symbol "SONY"....!!!

Inbelievable, the same logo applied in a very different function.

Nowadays, whereeer we go, in the home cinema to broadcast standard, the majority gears are SONY.

Man....!

--------------------
Winbert

Christian Bjorgen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 16, 2010 10:41 AM      Profile for Christian Bjorgen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For me, the poor film quality, reels snapping, going backwards and haywire, that's part of the fun!

At my local theatre, we had so much problems with reels and stuff when showing Ice Age 2 that it took us 3 hours to watch it, when it lasted 1,5 hours. And then we even had to skip half-a-reel!

Still, it was the most fun screenings I've ever attended.

--------------------
Well who’s on first? Yeah. Go ahead and tell me. Who. The guy on first. Who. The guy playin’ first base. Who. The guy on first. Who is on first! What are you askin’ me for? I’m askin’ you!

Barry Johnson
Master Film Handler

- posted February 16, 2010 12:34 PM      Profile for Barry Johnson   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is one other fly in the ointment,film renters give precedence to digitally equipped cinemas,thus they get the product.Independants unable to raise the capital for digital are being overlooked,so now its not just the seating capacity of cinemas but wether or not you have digital.
Digital aint going away so we must partway accept the new kid on the block,or fade away quietly and seek out "film" venues. [Frown]

--------------------
Standard8 rules!!

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted February 16, 2010 01:00 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The thing is that we don't have to accept it, not at all. If there's a new movie we want to see we can wait the 12 weeks or so til DVD release and watch it in the comfort of our own home, on a TV or with VP if you have it.
For me the only reason to go to a cinema is the knowledge that I will be watching film, ie. the medium in which the movie was made.

Sorry, but it's just art being tramped all over by commerce, yet again.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC