8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Projectors in movies (as opposed to the other way around) (Page 4)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 23 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  21  22  23 

Author Topic: Projectors in movies (as opposed to the other way around)
Gerald Santana
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 15, 2011 11:18 PM      Profile for Gerald Santana   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Correction, John -- Gilligan Powered [Wink]

The other night I watched THE CAT FROM OUTER SPACE. The premise of the film is: A UFO is stranded on earth and impounded by the US government. Its pilot, a cat with a collar that has special powers, including the ability to allow the cat to communicate with humans, has eluded the authorities and needs the help of a man named Frank in order to reclaim and repair his ship to get back home.

Roddy McDowall spies on McLean Stevenson with a Super 8 camera while he's being levitated by the cat. Later, he screens the film for his boss but, the footage but it is shot upside down.

These images are from a youtube video dubbed from poor quality VHS...
 -
 -

--------------------
http://lostandoutofprintfilms.blogspot.com/

|  IP: Logged

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted September 16, 2011 08:59 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How about all the *M*A*S*H* epsodes where they are watching features in the mess tent on 16mm with Klinger running the projector?

At least half the time it's the wrong film or the same film they've had for weeks, or the film breaks or in one case the tent rips and drowns the machine with rain water.

Klinger has to show multi-reel features on a single machine, but as they say: "War is Hell".

-

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Gerald Santana
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 19, 2011 12:58 AM      Profile for Gerald Santana   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We watched TAKE THE MONEY AND RUN last night on 16mm, these pictures below are from youtube screen captures. Woody Allen plans a bank robbery and sets up a film for the criminals to see on 8mm. What is the projector?

-

This is what he accidentally projects -- Nice color (and sound) on an 8mm print. [Roll Eyes]
 -

--------------------

Lars-Goran Ahlm
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 19, 2011 08:32 AM      Profile for Lars-Goran Ahlm   Email Lars-Goran Ahlm   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That trout fishing movie has a interesting year of copyright.
Obviously someone who have no idea about roman numerals have done this, OR, it's made specially as a joke for all who have taken the time to learn roman numerals to enjoy.

What it says?

M=1000, C=100, X=10, IV=4 and III=3.

Perhaps it means year 1114 month 3?
If so, they really where before their time in Quebec. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"The trouble with these international affairs is that they attract foreigners"

Gerald Santana
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 19, 2011 09:58 AM      Profile for Gerald Santana   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Lars,

This is a comedy so, the year in Roman numerals are 1117.

Good "catch"!

--------------------

Bryan Chernick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 15, 2011 06:31 AM      Profile for Bryan Chernick   Email Bryan Chernick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Stranger directed by Orson Welles and starring Welles, Edward G. Robinson, and Loretta Young.

Loretta Young watching a film about Nazi concentration camps.
 -
The projector.
 -

Does anyone recognize what projector it is? It looks like 16mm.
After watching the film she storms out onto the balcony as they show the end of the film slapping against the desk.

Gerald Santana
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 15, 2011 01:12 PM      Profile for Gerald Santana   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bryan,

I just saw this print the night before you posted your reply! I have a 16mm copy, slightly on the "dark" side and when this scene came up on the 3rd reel, I missed my opportunity to take a screen-shot.

I have a projector like this(but different), a 300' capacity Bell & Howell Filmo Master. I think it's an 8mm because I also have a patented 200' Keystone take-up reel that looks just like that. There also appears to be about 50' of film on the supply reel, needless to say no bad movie is ever too short! While this movie, 'The Stranger' is a great one.

Side note: When Lorreta Young runs out of the room, Edward G. follows her and leaves the projector running and the lamp ON! Only in the movies...

--------------------

Patrick Walsh
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 15, 2011 08:03 PM      Profile for Patrick Walsh   Email Patrick Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of Nazi screenings, I remember in the film THE BOY IN THE STRIPED PIJAMAS, there is a scene of a 16mm sound projector being used to show a group a propaganda film about how inmates in a prision camp are being treated fairly, the film is being shown by the commandant of the camp to a group goverment officials, I think the projector is a Bauer 16mm.

[ November 02, 2011, 10:00 PM: Message edited by: Patrick Walsh ]

--------------------
"Raise The Titanic!", It would of been cheaper to lower the Atlantic!

Gerald Santana
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 02, 2011 01:43 PM      Profile for Gerald Santana   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a very nice LPP original of COMING HOME on 16mm. It has a quick scene with a projector, anyone know what it is? It looks like another bell & Howell to me. The screen looks like a Da-lite...

-

--------------------

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 02, 2011 05:46 PM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe it's nostalgia talking, but the screen does looks like a Da-lite silver screen; my "first one" [Big Grin]

As for the projector, I cannot tell.

Claus.

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted November 10, 2011 12:26 AM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Moonlighting...Season 2....1986

-

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Mitchell Dvoskin
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 10, 2011 09:21 AM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dario Argento's "Demons", about people trapped in a demonic art deco movie theatre. They eventually break into the booth and find nobody is running the movie, much like a modern multiplex. [Roll Eyes]

Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 10, 2011 11:35 AM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
the projector in moonlighting looks like a singer projector

--------------------
jim schrader
"Let's see “do I have that title already?"

Gerald Santana
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 10, 2011 12:08 PM      Profile for Gerald Santana   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jim, It does look like a 16mm Singer...I wonder which film they are watching.

--------------------

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted November 10, 2011 03:38 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, it's a Singer Zig Zag! They are watching a 3D movie.

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted November 10, 2011 08:47 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This was a segment at the beginning of the show...where Maddie and David apologize tothe viewer that this weeks episode was suppose to be in 3D...but the post office didn't get the 3D glasses mailed out in time :-)

--------------------
Janice

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted November 11, 2011 08:35 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have quite a few of the movies mentioned in this thread. I'm going to go through them and make screen captures of the ones not already pictured.

Here's the Twilight Zone episode:
 -

--------------------
Janice

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted November 13, 2011 02:05 AM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a big fan of '80's movies....and this is one of my favorites:
It's kind of hard to see, but can anybody identify the projector?

-

--------------------
Janice

John Davis
Master Film Handler

- posted November 13, 2011 07:20 AM      Profile for John Davis   Email John Davis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It looks like one of the Elmo range. Starman is one of my favourite films and I think the super 8 footage is genuine super 8 footage and not a mockup

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted November 13, 2011 01:08 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Boy Who Could Fly is an obscure 80's movie...not one of my favorites... never really understood it, but none-the-less it fits nicely into the topic of this discussion -)

-

--------------------
Janice

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted November 14, 2011 12:18 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Abraham Zapruder film shot on the day Kennedy was shot in Dallas was shown in the court scene of Oliver Stone's JFK. This August I visited the 6th Floor of the Book Store Depository where Oswald fired the fatal shots. It is now a museum and has the Zapruder camera (Bell & Howell 414PD) on display. I got an erie feeling looking out the window down onto Dealey Plaza and later standing on the "grassy knoll". I recommend anyone visiting Dallas to include this museum in their itinerary.

-

--------------------
Janice

Gerald Santana
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 14, 2011 12:28 PM      Profile for Gerald Santana   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great screen captures Janice!

--------------------

Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 14, 2011 01:41 PM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
remember the episode of leave it to beaver where the boys sell perfume to get a projector? This is from my 16mm print. What kind of projector is this?
 -

-

--------------------
jim schrader
"Let's see “do I have that title already?"

Bryan Chernick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 14, 2011 02:15 PM      Profile for Bryan Chernick   Email Bryan Chernick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That looks like a Keystone K-68.

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted November 14, 2011 03:28 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Doesn't the K-68 have a light on the base just above the power switch. I found this photo it's labeled a Keystone 95 (circa 1953) that looks like it might be the same projector. What do you think?

-

--------------------
Janice

All times are Central
This topic comprises 23 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  21  22  23 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC