8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » The pride of my collection, at last! (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: The pride of my collection, at last!
Christian Bjorgen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 15, 2010 12:08 PM      Profile for Christian Bjorgen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After two years of collecting, with some of the records both expensive and hard to find in decent condition, I have finally completed the crown jewel of my collection:

The complete discography of Pink Floyd on vinyl!

-

As you can see above, I also have the Four-vinyl box set of "Echoes", and as seen below, I also have "Relics" from 1971, the "Masters of Rock"-compilation from 1970, "A Collection of Great Dance Songs", the 1981 compilation which is the only LP to date which has the single edit of "Another Brick in the Wall (Pt 2)", and David Gilmours fantastic solo album "On An Island" on 180g vinyl.

-

I am so happy!

--------------------
Well who’s on first? Yeah. Go ahead and tell me. Who. The guy on first. Who. The guy playin’ first base. Who. The guy on first. Who is on first! What are you askin’ me for? I’m askin’ you!

|  IP: Logged

Antonis Galanakis
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 15, 2010 12:43 PM      Profile for Antonis Galanakis   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

Christian
I am astonished!!! I did not know that you love vinyl (I love it too, especially 45's) and the magnificent Pink Floyd (I deeply love them)!!!
My first concert ever was in 1989 of Pink Floyd in Greece. I still remember this night like yesterday!

WELL DONE! BRAVO! Μεγάλε είσαι και ο πρώτος!

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 15, 2010 12:50 PM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well done, Chris!
I think I'll never complete my vinyl collection of Mina (important Italian singer [Roll Eyes] ).
Too many records from 1959 to nowadays... At least she still records her LP also on vinyl!

--------------------
I remember when I was (super) 8 years old...

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted March 15, 2010 01:21 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Christian....

Congratulations!

BUT..... you are not complete yet!

I don't see the Pink Floyd "Pulse" (especially with the live-pulse/beep placed in front cover and still in working order).

-

Do you want that album on vinyl? [Wink]

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Christian Bjorgen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 15, 2010 01:52 PM      Profile for Christian Bjorgen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am aware of that, Winnie, I'm also missing the 1988 live album [Wink]

But I do have all the studio albums, some of them on rare original pressings, and that was my goal.

Getting the two live albums is next on my list [Smile]

--------------------
Well who’s on first? Yeah. Go ahead and tell me. Who. The guy on first. Who. The guy playin’ first base. Who. The guy on first. Who is on first! What are you askin’ me for? I’m askin’ you!

Daniel Aveline
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 15, 2010 02:31 PM      Profile for Daniel Aveline     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
By the way,what about the wall?

--------------------
D Aveline

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted March 15, 2010 02:34 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bottom left of the top picture, Daniel.
[Smile]

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted March 15, 2010 02:37 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Christian, I am also a completish person and doing the same for Queen. I push myself to have all Queen albums (studio, live and official compilation) on vinyl.

Queen Discography from Wikipedia

Lucky me that Queen is no longer releasing album (after Freddy Mercury passed away). So my task is not that hard, and I have had thier albums. I only need Queen greatest hits 3. I don't know if this is printed on vinyl or not. If not, then I can declare that I have completed them. [Wink]

BTW, do you bother with country of pressing (e.g. UK press only) or any country is OK?

(ps: I have met a collector who does not only mind of country of pressing, but also only collect first pressing!. Crazy price of course!. But that is the foundation of collecting... to get something harder into our collection)

cheers

--------------------
Winbert

Daniel Aveline
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 15, 2010 02:40 PM      Profile for Daniel Aveline     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OOPS Sorry I hadnot seen it,my two favourrite songs are"on the turning away"and "learning to fly"what about you?

--------------------
D Aveline

Robert Drake
Junior

- posted March 15, 2010 03:00 PM      Profile for Robert Drake   Email Robert Drake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't see "A Nice Pair" in your collection.

Christian Bjorgen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 15, 2010 04:28 PM      Profile for Christian Bjorgen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I dont need "A Nice Pair", as I have the original albums that the set consisted of [Smile]

My favorite song would probably be Echoes.

Winbert, take a look at this: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Queen-Greatest-Hits-III-Limited-Double-Vinyl-LP-Set_W0QQitemZ390168162805QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Records?hash=item5ad7d5b1f5

I've purchased from this dealer several times, he's a good guy [Smile]

--------------------

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted March 15, 2010 05:03 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Christian,

Thanks for the link. yes I have purchased Lps from this seller too.

Wow, I just knew that Greatest Hits Part III is double album in the way to make a better pressing (not because of the tracks lenght, as they have for part 2). It can be seen that each side only contains 4 tracks where normally it can cater to 7 tracks.

I do notice that many recent albums are relased in two version, i.e single vinyl or double pressed vinyl. Hence the price is diferent. [Cool]

Here is probably not a cup of tea of many members here, but I have also completed my "Jamiroquoai" album on vinyls.

They are:

- Jamiroquai "Synchronized" (2LP)
- Jamiroquai "Travelling Without Moving"
- Jamiroquai "the Return of Space Cowboy" (2LP)
- Jamiroquai "Emergency on Planet Earth" (2LP)
- Jamiroquai "Dynamite" (2LP)
- Jamiroquai "A funk Odyssey" (2LP)
- Jamiroquai "Late Night Tales" (3LP)

not part of album, so don't need to count:
- Jamiroquai "Little L" (12")
- Jamiroquai "Deeper Underground" (12")

Jamiroquai Discography from wikipedia

and here is the picture (lucky I took this picutre before leaving for Canada [Wink] )

-

His latest album (compilation) "High Times" which was released in 2006, is not pressed on Vinyl. So I cannot do more, unless someone know that certain country still pressed it (Christian do you know that many Latin America countries are still pressing vinyls. But the quality is so-so. However for a completish it is the only way [Razz] ).

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Christian Bjorgen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 15, 2010 05:07 PM      Profile for Christian Bjorgen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice, Winbert [Wink]

I don't collect that many artists really, for me it's just getting the records I like, for example "Thriller" by Michael Jackson or "The Man Comes Around" by Johnny Cash [Smile]

--------------------

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted March 15, 2010 06:39 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Same to me too Christian, I am quite selective in buying vinyls. Talking about Michael Jackson, I once have completed his album until "HIStory" on vinyls but when his album was getting really weird, I didn't buy again.

BTW...

quote:
I dont need "A Nice Pair", as I have the original albums that the set consisted of
Yeah, "Nice Pair" is a combination of 2 old album "Piper at the Gates of Dawn" (1967) and "A Saucerful of Secrets For a pure" (1968). But for a completish, you still have to have it [Razz]

BTW< you haven't answered my question, do you mind with country of pressing of can be from any countries?

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Christian Bjorgen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 16, 2010 07:56 AM      Profile for Christian Bjorgen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, sorry, didn't see that question.

I don't bother about country of origin that much, unless there are differences between the releases (like for instance with "The Division Bell", it was only released in Brazil on single vinyl and Korea on double vinyl). In such cases I take it to some consideration.

As for pressings I prefer original or second pressing, unless it's available on 180g remastered vinyl.

--------------------

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted March 16, 2010 09:09 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A bit OOT, what do you compare between 180g re-mastered vinyl vs. double set pressing in terms of sound quality? Have you ever compared?

ps: the best one must be a double set album pressed on 180 g vinyl with re-mastered audio. It is similar to CHC scope prints on polyester base with brown magnetic strip projected through an Elmo GS1200-Xenon with 1.0 lens and Sankor anamorphic on ultra-bright screen. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Winbert

Wayne Tuell
Master Film Handler

- posted March 16, 2010 09:24 AM      Profile for Wayne Tuell   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Tuell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is an expensive alternative, but ANYTHING can be put to vinyl if you are willing to pay the price. The link is to my friends website, near the top of the page click next to the funny looking guy carving a record for the place that custom makes records. http://kjq.us.com/customvinyl.html

--------------------
www.16mmDrive-InFilms.com

Christian Bjorgen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 16, 2010 09:33 AM      Profile for Christian Bjorgen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it depends on the master really.

I have "Who's Next?" by The Who, both the 1971 pressing and a 2006 180g vinyl remaster, and I find the remaster to be quite superior in terms of sound quality [Smile]

--------------------

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted March 16, 2010 09:37 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wayne,

Vestax, a DJ gears manufacture, makes VRX 2000 Vinyl Recorder for home use. So why don't you have one at home [Big Grin]

-

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Christian Bjorgen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 16, 2010 10:01 AM      Profile for Christian Bjorgen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hehe..

Should my band ever get a release, I'm definately having an edition made on vinyl! [Wink]

--------------------

Damien Taylor
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 16, 2010 10:55 AM      Profile for Damien Taylor   Email Damien Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The vestax needs expensive vinyl blanks that only last as long as standard dub plates. Buy a cheap old Presto from the 50's, cut on the back of plastic picnic plates and you are already miles and thousands ahead.

Late edit:
quote:
I have "Who's Next?" by The Who, both the 1971 pressing and a 2006 180g vinyl remaster, and I find the remaster to be quite superior in terms of sound quality [Smile]

This is interesting, because the Olympic masters are to my knowledge still missing, so the remaster was probably made from at best a safety. The original if it is a UK press, *should be better being made from the Olympic Studio master before it dissapeared.

*Unless your 1971 copy was made somewhere in the former soviet bloc on old x-ray film, in which case the cutting master was probably a copy of a copy of a mono 1⅞ IPS safety etched into an old tin can.

Christian Bjorgen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 16, 2010 12:01 PM      Profile for Christian Bjorgen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You forgot the part of it being etched into the tin can with an old razor from the American civil war!

I have no idea what masters they've used, but the 1971 pressing is of fairly good condition, so the condition of the record is not an issue, and the remaster was a gift that I got with the shrink wrap still on, never opened/played. Upon examining the remaster closer (after reading your comments) it states that it was made in 1996, probably for the 25th anniversary, but it does not say anything on origins other than being pressed in the UK.

--------------------

Damien Taylor
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 16, 2010 11:22 PM      Profile for Damien Taylor   Email Damien Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The copy I was most displeased with was the double album deluxe edition 30th anniversary, the cut volume is way too low with insane amounts of groove echo, appalling for a major label really.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted March 18, 2010 10:25 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now, it is my turn to announce my last purchase which has been my dream so long. It is Def Leppard "Hysteria", the band's best album, which wikipedia says:

quote:
It is the band's best-selling album to date, selling over 20 million copies worldwide, and spawning seven hit singles.
Def Leppard "Hysteria" in Wikipedia

All tracks in this album are hit and even they were released as individual single.

As you know that for one LP with 12 tracks (62 minutes duration) may have been too crowded and resulting low gain for sound output.

I love all their tracks but searching for individual single (7"), it will a real burden for me (i.e. time, money and postage).

Until finally in 2003, "Simply Vinyl" (now has been a deceased company) released a limited double vinyl set for the same album. So each side contains only 3-4 tracks.

But "Simply Vinyl" only released this in very limited numbers and it has long gone. I have been searching this album using Ebay saved search feature and it never comes up for about 4 years, until 2 weeks ago, it appeared on Ebay.

I was so astonished and another plus thing was the seller lived in Canada (means no duty/tax) and moreover, the city was the same with mine (no postage). So I have contacted him if I could pick this up if I won the item and he was OK.

So I placed my bid with full highest bid I had after removing the entire possibility burden from shipping cost and import duty.

I finally won it.... and for a good price too!

-

So I picked this up yesterday and too my surprise... apart from it is a double vinyl pressed, it is also printed on 180 gr virgin vinyl and re-mastered sound quality.

So it is exactly what I have written above about creame de la creame of LP (in terms of album and pressing).

I am happy with this.

--------------------
Winbert

Joe McAllister
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 23, 2010 03:27 AM      Profile for Joe McAllister   Email Joe McAllister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am an unconverted vinyl junkie and luckily live in London where there are many shops devoted to Vinyl both new and second hand. There are about a dozen that I visit regularly.

My own tastes centre around the English Blues scene of the 60's and 70's prog rock.
And I am still discovering new titles and performers that interest me so I doubt I will ever have a "complete" collection.

--------------------
Always interested in privately produced amateur and home movies.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC