8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » The pride of my collection, at last! (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: The pride of my collection, at last!
Damien Taylor
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 23, 2010 09:01 AM      Profile for Damien Taylor   Email Damien Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have charity shops all been ruined for digging for everyone else too?

|  IP: Logged

Joe McAllister
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 23, 2010 12:03 PM      Profile for Joe McAllister   Email Joe McAllister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Judging by the state of affairs in London most charity shops employ "experts" to sort and price records so interesting titles rarely appear in the racks. When they do they are often more expensive than collectors shops or eBay.

--------------------
Always interested in privately produced amateur and home movies.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted March 23, 2010 01:12 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am no longer buying records from Records shop or Record Trades show, they tend to overprice the market.

I am not a prefectionist (so scuff or a little scratch is acceptible), so now only rely on Ebay. Easy to search (no more dirty fingers) and market price too!.

Every shops and traders now tend to start every LPs from $5 up while it is $1 at Ebay.

cheers

--------------------
Winbert

Christian Bjorgen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 24, 2010 06:36 AM      Profile for Christian Bjorgen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do the same, Winbert, but mostly because we have no record shops nearby (closest one is a 3 hour boat ride or 4 hour drive).

I buy all my records on ebay, both UK and US, aswell as a site called QXL.no, which is a Norwegian equivelant of eBay.

I'm not too bothered with the odd scratch or so either, for me all that matters is that the record is playable in reasonable condition with few or no skips.

--------------------
Well who’s on first? Yeah. Go ahead and tell me. Who. The guy on first. Who. The guy playin’ first base. Who. The guy on first. Who is on first! What are you askin’ me for? I’m askin’ you!

Stewart McSporran
Master Film Handler

- posted March 26, 2010 05:51 PM      Profile for Stewart McSporran   Email Stewart McSporran   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've still got a few hundred albums from my original vinyl collection left. I really, really, regret selling the majority of them when CD came out. I had a complete Floyd collection as of 1981, but sold Dark Side of the Moon, Atom Heart Mother and The Wall.

Until recently the last vinyl album I bought was the 180gm Hunky Dory by Bowie. Amazing quality - I recently transferred it to my Tascam reel to reel tape deck and defy anyone to spot it wasn't mastered directly from another tape.

I've started buying them again, mainly from the local Oxfam, but I am very picky when it comes to quality. They had a few Queen albums that I needed to complete my collection but they all looked like they'd been scrubbed with sandpaper.

I've been listening to the very high quality streaming audio files being released by Lynn and others and have to say that vinyl sound quality has finally met its match.

But I still miss the gatefolds....

Christian Bjorgen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 26, 2010 06:01 PM      Profile for Christian Bjorgen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I highly doubt that I'll ever sell my vinyls, if so it would be under extreme circumstances.

I'm planning on making a video tour of my equipment and collection this easter, and I'll post it here when I'm done [Smile]

--------------------
Well who’s on first? Yeah. Go ahead and tell me. Who. The guy on first. Who. The guy playin’ first base. Who. The guy on first. Who is on first! What are you askin’ me for? I’m askin’ you!

Christian Bjorgen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 28, 2010 02:14 PM      Profile for Christian Bjorgen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wee, new package in the mail today!

This guy is one the great sellers still out there! Not only does he sell excellent vinyl records, but he MAKES them himself! Some months ago, I sent him a mail about it, and then he called me up on Skype (his preferred method of communication) and via a video-chat, showed me his collection of masters that he uses to make double A-side 45 rpm singles. And the quality is amazing, just like the brand singles from the olden days, some of the singles are actually just reprints, with "original" labels and everything.

Anyway, I was amazed with this! After this we stayed in touch, and a few weeks ago, I got a mail from him asking for help. He remembered us talking about archiving systems, so he asked me for some help on how he should keep a database for all his records. So I helped him out and after that he told me to pick out a few records as a thank you. So I picked out 5-6 of them, and he sent me seventeen.

So now I have 17 brand new 45 rpms in my collection with some great tunes!

--------------------

Damien Taylor
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 28, 2010 08:47 PM      Profile for Damien Taylor   Email Damien Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I highly doubt that I'll ever sell my vinyls, if so it would be under extreme circumstances.
I really don't want to part with mine, but by the time you get to 4K they become a real burden. I dread moving day, I'm thinking about a mass purge.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC