8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » NEWB.. (Intro.. a small one)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: NEWB.. (Intro.. a small one)
Mikel Jenson
Film Handler

- posted July 11, 2010 07:50 PM      Profile for Mikel Jenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well hello there.. I'm 20 years old and just barely got interested in film, I am waiting on a 16mm Projector as we speak [Smile] I've just become really really interested in this medium because it just seems more real somehow and I like the feeling of something original. There are also no 2 prints alike, again just love the thought of that.

Anyway just wanted to say hey, and hope to be able to contribute in the future [Smile]

Thank you for your time

-Mikel Jenson

|  IP: Logged

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted July 11, 2010 09:16 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome Mikel,

Messing around with film and projectors is challenging, and it is rewarding too.

Come that day somebody asks you why don't you just play a Blu-Ray instead, just tell 'em "This is more fun!".

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 12, 2010 05:12 PM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome Mikel! [Smile]

--------------------
Joe Taffis

Wayne Tuell
Master Film Handler

- posted July 12, 2010 06:06 PM      Profile for Wayne Tuell   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Tuell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Messing around with film and projectors is challenging, and it is rewarding too.

Come that day somebody asks you why don't you just play a Blu-Ray instead, just tell 'em "This is more fun!".

AGREED!!!

And Welcome Mikel, the journey has just begun. [Big Grin]

--------------------
www.16mmDrive-InFilms.com

David Erskine
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 14, 2010 04:57 AM      Profile for David Erskine   Email David Erskine   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You are very welcome - "all mist to the grill" (sic) - BUT stop with the 'small' remarks, already!!!!
Cheers, David E (5'3")

--------------------
I've NEVER let failure go to MY head!

Christian Bjorgen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 14, 2010 04:18 PM      Profile for Christian Bjorgen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello, Mikel, and welcome! It's nice to see other youngsters take an interest in the field of small format film!

I'm 20 myself actually! [Wink]

By the way, you have an interesting surname, do you stem from Scandinavia?

--------------------
Well who’s on first? Yeah. Go ahead and tell me. Who. The guy on first. Who. The guy playin’ first base. Who. The guy on first. Who is on first! What are you askin’ me for? I’m askin’ you!

Mikel Jenson
Film Handler

- posted July 14, 2010 11:45 PM      Profile for Mikel Jenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey thanks a ton guys!

and about the blu-ray comment I SO hope this is more fun [Razz] lol.

anyway I just got this box of goodies to start myself out, what do you guys think?

http://c gi.ebay.com/NICE-ELMO-16mm-Film-Projector-Model-16-AL-w-Accessories-/350371060343?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5193be1a77#shId&autorefresh=true

(I got all the films and projector CASE but no projector.. yet :'( but ahh well.. SOON!! lol.. and the 'Unmarked Reel' is a film called 'lady of the light' but I haven't been able to find any out about it.. guess I'll have to just watch it [Wink] I also have my eye on a couple other films 'King Kong 1933' and I did find 'Willy Wonka' that I would SO SO love to own but don't have enough cash to drop on it right now [Frown] oh also if anyone has 'extra films' lol (doubtful) and would just like to get rid of them (or send them to someone who would appreciate them) let me know I can take them off of your hands! [Smile] well that was a lot of rambling)

Thank you for reading!
-Mikel Jenson

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted July 15, 2010 02:12 AM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome, Mikel!

That looks like a great projector film deal. Lady Of The Light looks like it is on an 800' reel. If so, this would be the Disney Educational fairytale about a young girl who lives in a lighthouse with her father.

Wayne Tuell
Master Film Handler

- posted July 15, 2010 10:23 AM      Profile for Wayne Tuell   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Tuell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did the seller make arrangements with you not to send the projector yet that you paid for? Seems odd to get only part of your auction item(s) Anyhow, the ELMO AL is a pretty good autoload. I like them because they shut off once the film has threaded enough to wind onto the take-up reel and then shut off when the feed reel is finished. If you ever want a back-up matching unit I have one for $25 & shipping.

As old as that projector is, there is a chance that some of the grease has dried and you may develop a squeak...it is a simple fix should it happen. The main problem I have heard about ELMO projectors is the rubber wheels turning to goo. Check those out before running any film through the machine. Judging by the seller of the auction and the wide variety of items he/she sells, that projector didn't belong to the seller so I doubt they serviced it. Also I saw they put the filmovara as wide angle. It will make your picture bigger or smaller...not wide screen. Go to you local camera shop and get a good lens cleaning kit too.

Mikel, being you are new to the hobby, some titles may seem expensive at time. King Kong and Willy Wonka can be high priced at times. King Kong has more variables for price. There are plenty of dupes that will be cheaper and then if it does or does not have the out-takes...and of course condition. Kong comes up for sale way more often than Willy Wonka. The AGFA print for sale at this time is my print. Most that come up for sale are faded eastman stock prints which will still fetch more money than most other faded features. It is a crazy hobby...if you plan on buying through ebay, print out closed auctions with descriptions of titles you think you might want for future reference and place them in a folder. That will give you a target price, let you compare the variables, and see how few and far between some titles are. BE SURE to do your homework on sellers. Just because they sell film does not mean they good people.

I won't sling any mud here on the bad sellers send a private message for that...I will tell ya the guy with the post right above me is one of the good guys [Big Grin]

Send me a private message with your address, I have a feature for you if you want to cover postage and maybe toss in a pack of gum. [Wink]

--------------------

Mikel Jenson
Film Handler

- posted July 15, 2010 04:40 PM      Profile for Mikel Jenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
no I didn't make arangements at all.. and they didn't let me know till I emailed and 'yelled' a little that I only got half of what I had won.. and it hasn't shown up even though technically its past the last shipping date.. (should have all come by wednesday) but the shipping was 59$ and the film box only had 11.50$ on it.. so I did pay to ship it..

is the ELMO you have optical and magnetic sound? (didn't find out there was more than one till after I payed for mine) the one I should be getting soon is optical only.

also is there some place to find just cheap doupe copys of films? I just think starting out it would be nice to own a couple of things I know of then get them better quality and whatnot once I really get into it.

Thanks yet again!
-Mikel Jenson

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted July 15, 2010 05:00 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
...I only got half of what I had won.. .the shipping was 59$ and the film box only had 11.50$ on it.. so I did pay to ship it..
Hey... this is a very strange and truly unfair. You should complain or report this to Ebay. You can get a full refund for this.

regards

--------------------
Winbert

Mikel Jenson
Film Handler

- posted July 15, 2010 05:04 PM      Profile for Mikel Jenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Hey... this is a very strange and truly unfair. You should complain or report this to Ebay. You can get a full refund for this.

regards

yeah.. I was going to give it a couple more days.. I do realize that people are human and make mistakes.. but if its not here by the end of the week I was planning on at least contacting them again if not reporting and putting up a neg review and what not.

-Mikel Jenson

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted July 15, 2010 05:59 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Mikel,

What strange me is he did send the films. If he was trying to be a bad guy, why did he just not send at all.

It is strange indeed.

cheers

--------------------
Winbert

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted July 15, 2010 06:18 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I do realize that people are human and make mistakes..
It's kind of hard to overlook a projector. [Big Grin]

Mikel, I have a feature film missing some footage(not sure how much)you can have. It's entitled C.C. and Company with Joe Namath and Ann Margaret. Mounted on a 1x1600' reel and 1x1200' reel. The color is fair. You can contact me through my email by clicking on my name. Give me your address and I will send it to you. I need the space.

Mikel Jenson
Film Handler

- posted July 16, 2010 02:01 AM      Profile for Mikel Jenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ok so I got the projector and... It all works except for it was surely dropped in transit (they were sent the same day) the front (where the speaker is) has a large crack running all the way across it, and there are some little peices of projecter in the bottom of the box.. the box itself was to say the least.. DESTROYED.. and there was nothing but about 2 inches of packing foam and it was wraped in (very little) bubble wrap. and worst of all is the focus knob and lens itself is bent, the part the lens mounts on is broken (just about) off.

I did watch all of the films I have (IT WAS SO COOL!! first time I've ever seen film at home)

anyway now trying to figure some options out wheather to send it back or keep it and (try to) fix it..

Mikel Jenson
Film Handler

- posted July 18, 2010 01:48 AM      Profile for Mikel Jenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So any ideas? also I'll post some pictures of damage and the totally destroyed box (not by me)..

still watched everything I own and hope to watch many many more!

Wayne Tuell
Master Film Handler

- posted July 18, 2010 01:29 PM      Profile for Wayne Tuell   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Tuell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Call paypal and file a complaint since the projector was not packed properly. Take pictures so you can email them upon request. Lucky for you they put LOTS of pictures of the projector. Copy each picture and paste it to a file so you can show the before and afters.

--------------------

Mikel Jenson
Film Handler

- posted July 18, 2010 05:14 PM      Profile for Mikel Jenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah I did get pictures of everything and I am ready to set up at least something with ebay..

Another thing is she said she was going to ship UPS (you automatically get 100$ insurance with UPS) and so didn't offer insurance but she shipped it USPS because "that's what she was shipping everything else with that day" so technically I didn't have insurance on it but it was misrepresented anyway. I would have done insurance but didn't think I needed to..

so my question is.. do you guys think that's enough to at least get some money back if not all of it?

oh I also sent out a couple Emails one to Dan Lail and another one to Wayne Tuell but have gotten no replies yet.. let me know if you didn't get one and I'll resend them..

not sure if these pictures will post but worth a shot

the biggest broken part of the projector

-

and

the box the projector was sent in..

-

this just seems irresponsible.. especially since the box the film was in was like really really nice and double thick and stuff..

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted July 18, 2010 05:29 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mikel,

You should have received tracking number via email. The package should arrive next week.

When I click on the photo links it asks me to create a gmail account. Is there any other way to see the photos. I really don't want a gmail account.

Mikel Jenson
Film Handler

- posted July 18, 2010 05:44 PM      Profile for Mikel Jenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You should have received tracking number via email. The package should arrive next week.
Awesome! I'm really excited! and I'll let you know if I don't get the tracking number soon.. and did you send it to mikeljenson AT gmail DOT com?

quote:
When I click on the photo links it asks me to create a gmail account. Is there any other way to see the photos. I really don't want a gmail account.
well I tried to upload them to photobucket but for some reason it wasn't posting it just said that it failed.. so I'll try photobucket again in a little while (may just be an error on the server or something)

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted July 18, 2010 07:26 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mikel,

I sent another email with tracking.

That box looks pretty beat. What a shame, it's definitely a bad packing job.

Mikel Jenson
Film Handler

- posted July 18, 2010 07:31 PM      Profile for Mikel Jenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I sent another email with tracking.
got the email thanks again!

quote:
That box looks pretty beat. What a shame, it's definitely a bad packing job.
There was also only about 2 inches of foam inside and it was loosely wrapped in one layer of bubble wrap..

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC