8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » A question about VS

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: A question about VS
Mikel Jenson
Film Handler

- posted July 20, 2010 04:50 PM      Profile for Mikel Jenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So I was just wondering how actually contagious this is? I mean I have heard that you should store VS films away from other films but let's say they are all in cans can you put them close if they are in cans?

Also let's say you want to run a film with some VS going on. would you want to use a different take-up reel? like will that reel be infected and if you run another film it will be VS'ed or something? or would i have to clean it or something? or is the keeping away from others just for storage?

Thank you all.
-Mikel Jenson

|  IP: Logged

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted July 20, 2010 06:03 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you have any films with VS, Mikel?

One thing that is important about this is that a sizable fraction of prints out there are immune to it. It's a problem of acetate prints and a lot of prints out there are polyester.

Polyester prints are not vulnerable to VS, but instead LSS (Leisure Suit Syndrome) It causes everyone in the films to dress in pastels and wear their shirts open to their navels with copious amounts of gold chains around their necks.

Don't let this happen to you!

(I'm sorry..where was I?)

Oh yes....

The thing about sealed cans is they prevent the films from airing out and tend to accelerate VS. If you're really concerned about this happening, the best thing to do is put your acetate prints in cardboard film cases.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 20, 2010 06:33 PM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What Steve says is correct........and funny.

I have any of my VS affected films stored in another part of the house away from the others. Some even use different projectors with VS films. In my opinion this is over-kill, just don't store VS films next to other films.

Search this forum and you'll see plenty on the subject.

David

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted July 22, 2010 01:47 PM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In 40-odd years of collecting, I have never had VS trouble, painstaking as it is, I prevent this by cleaning my entire library twice yearly, stored in my room with a clear, cool humidity level all about, 847 films are in original boxes (light cardboard), 47 in white-hinged boxes, 29 in metal cans stored in chests - I find metal cans are best when kept open, not entirely closed, allowing air to permeate - Yet, plastic cans are okay but if not careful, will tend to dissipate an odor towards the celluloid - All must be kept cool, it is a storage need to keep VS away - Above all, don't smoke near your films or while running them, nicotine on acetate may be a strong factor - Mark my words, Shorty

David Erskine
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 22, 2010 03:41 PM      Profile for David Erskine   Email David Erskine   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Was it the VS or the smoking that stunted my growth?
Cheers, David E

--------------------
I've NEVER let failure go to MY head!

John W. Black
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 23, 2010 01:25 AM      Profile for John W. Black   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I drill a couple small holes in any cans I use to let air get to the film,reducing the risk of VS.It is much more a problem in 16mm than 8mm.Just a tip,worse than inhaling a VS print is using Vitafilm in a poorly ventilated room.I did that once and sang the drum solo from Inna Gadda Da Vida,joined a commune,found female tuba players sexy and travelled the country as a faith healer.Other than that,I was fine.

--------------------
Beat em or burn em,they go up pretty quick

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC