8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Postage / Shipping costs for Super 8 Features Sold Via Ebay.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Postage / Shipping costs for Super 8 Features Sold Via Ebay.
Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 21, 2010 11:48 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello all,

I am considering parting with some of my treasured 8mm features and am thinking about putting them on ebay.

On ebay I prefer to state postage and although this is easy to calculate within the UK / EU, I appreciate that there are a lot of worldwide Super 8 collectors out there (here!) with whom I would potentially love to sell.

Guys, I need advice on what sort of postage / shipping / insurance you, as collectors, would prefer and the sort of cost you would reasonably expect to pay in addition to the film itself; also your prefered shipping company as I have little experience posting outside the UK and would really appreciate your advice on this.

That way I can look at the options and present a reasonable and preferable postage / shipping cost when I put the films up for auction.

Thanks everyone! [Smile]

|  IP: Logged

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted August 21, 2010 06:45 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rob,

From UK, I always expected the cost shown on Royal Mail "Small Packet International". It is cheap, fast, reliable and insured to amount that more that the value of general 8mm films.

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Steven Sigel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 21, 2010 10:34 PM      Profile for Steven Sigel   Email Steven Sigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you do your shipping using the actual weight of the item, and using ebays "calculated" shipping, it will figure out the cost no matter where it's going....

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted August 21, 2010 10:44 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
YEs, that is right Steve,

But sometimes Ebay choose the most expensive service available (e.g at USPS it will go with Priority Mail) while there is actually cheaper service such as Media Mail or Parcel.

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Glenn Brady
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 22, 2010 06:54 AM      Profile for Glenn Brady   Author's Homepage   Email Glenn Brady   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
. . . sometimes Ebay choose the most expensive service available . . .
The seller chooses the kind of shipping offered, not eBay. Unless a seller specifies fixed price shipping, the shipping cost calculation is automatic, so getting an accurate weight for an item (packed for shipment) is important.

Greg Marshall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 22, 2010 09:30 AM      Profile for Greg Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rob, please let us know when you begin listing, and what your user name is.

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted August 22, 2010 12:24 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rob,

Why not stick a list up here.

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 25, 2010 02:46 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all,

Winbert, looks like Royal Mail is the way to go. UPS seems very expensive. Thanks everyone.

As soon as I get around to checking the prints I'll hopefully start to list them.

Bart Smith
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 25, 2010 07:01 AM      Profile for Bart Smith   Author's Homepage   Email Bart Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Rob,

As a rule of thumb RM will normally be cheapest for packages weighing under 2kg, and couriers such as UPS will normally be better for anything heavier than that...

The are some countries that I would only consider sending stuff using International Signed For (another £4 or so on top of the price)...

Anything sent by RM is in theory insured for £39 so long as you keep the certificate of postage, but in practice getting them to pay out can be like getting blood out of a stone.

--------------------
www.bluecinetech.co.uk

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 26, 2010 03:17 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Bart,

need to sort out the exact weight of each film.

I agree, I think signed for is the only way to go; I'm thinking that some of the features may be worth in the region of £100, so I need to sit down and work out a shipping price that includes decent insurance.

I want the films to arrive safely, but I understand that people don't want to pay crazy shipping costs either.

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted August 26, 2010 12:22 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wnbert wrtoe........

quote:
But sometimes Ebay choose the most expensive service available (e.g at USPS it will go with Priority Mail) while there is actually cheaper service such as Media Mail or Parcel.
Winbert, when setting up the Ebay shipping calculator, you have a choice or choices of the type shipping you prefer to calculate. This is done with each individual listing.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC