8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » NZ Earthquake (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: NZ Earthquake
Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted March 22, 2011 07:50 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Graham. Just wanted to add that we have been thinking of you all and continue to do so.

Steve. Isn’t it a case that we all take so much for granted in life, then when its not there we come to realise just what we have taken for granted. Some years ago there was a good documentary about the giving of alcohol to children which opened my eyes as did the drugs awareness course I completed last year at college.

|  IP: Logged

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted March 29, 2011 08:43 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, one of the interesting things about the internet is the chance to read online about my old home town in Scotland that I left way back in 1973. On the front page was this following photo it made me smile that the locals are up in arms about and dont no what to do.
 -
It states on the front page....Our photographer was called to a spectacular example. [Roll Eyes] the article also mentions that anyone with best hole photos to send them in.

Although this "spectacular example" is in another country thats... 12000 miles away. I wonder if the following from Christchurch of late would win first prize as we have plenty of examples.
 -

-

Graham.

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted March 30, 2011 09:55 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great news today the Earthquake Commission "builders" turned up to do the follow on and detail look at our place under the floor...everywhere. I must admit I was bit nervous as its up to these people as to our future living in this house and they are the ones that call the shots money wise. The good news and athough a lot of work is needed its all fixable, although the piles under the centre of the house have pushed the place up in the middle causing the downhill slope at the front. They said the good natural New Zealand hard timber that this house was built with they used years ago has held up really well. [Smile] so I am very happy with the positive outcome.

One thing though, is they had to inspect all buildings and were really impressed with our wee home cinema never seen one before and were thinking of making one themselves [Big Grin] they were amazed at the old projectors [Wink] and although the place is a bit lopsided they are happy its safe, no problems, all that extra wood and steel re-inforcing really payed of. The look I got as they filled the paper work in stating its the first time they have written down a "projection box" [Big Grin]

They suggested that I should buy my wife a bottle of wine to celebrate... might be a good idea.

Graham. [Smile]

Colin Robert Hunt
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 31, 2011 03:19 PM      Profile for Colin Robert Hunt   Author's Homepage   Email Colin Robert Hunt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's good news Graham. Atleast a positive step in the right direction. Thanks for posting those pictures for us. In my opion you win the competition first prize. Makes our winging on our potholes non exsitant. Just those few shots really brings home how things are with you. I myself and all members I am sure our thoughts and prayers are to you and all citizens of Christchurch who have experienced this earthquake.

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted April 04, 2011 07:04 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Colin

Last week was the first time that I have headed across to that side of town to get a job done and was close to the city centre, looking at the extent of damage was very disheartening when you see it close. So many places have gone, one was an old bookshop three stories high and full of old books etc. It was a real joy to go to, you could spend hours in that place it was a gold mine and picked up old film making books/mags etc a really neat place. It was there because it was an old building with cheap rent and thats how they could survive. Its now condemed like so many and I doubt those places will ever return like many they were unique and were not the kind of thing you would find in a shopping mall.

Anyway, without sounding that I am going on about it to much here are a couple more photos you might find of interest.
 -
This young family miraculously escaped unhurt when a boulder went through their house.
 -
This is part of main street in town on the day. Its incredible the forces at play here, its not the matter of minutes or hours for all this to happen but in seconds.
 -
My wife took this picture of our place later in the afternoon as things sort of settled down...flowing through the place is liquefaction thats what they call it and the photo shows only a small part of it. It is pushed up from under the ground. Its thick silt mixed with sewage and took us two days to move it onto the street for pick up, thankfully with the kind assistance of the farmy army [Smile] ..farmers, who were brilliant in helping out. Some of it got into our wee home cinema but thats fixed now.
 -
Taking no chances this time with the GS1200. I was very lucky the last time...just kidding about the rope.....but not the bracket at the top.

Graham.

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted April 16, 2011 05:14 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Would anyone like to be a projectionist out here, well tonight I felt like I was projecting in a kids bouncy castle as we had a 5.3 a couple of hours ago. I felt like Peter Sellers hanging onto those projectors from "The Smallest Show On Earth" [Eek!] I phoned my "better half" the wife our wee house was rock and rolling to the point the hanging light "about 2 feet" of it in the dining area was swinging to the point of hitting the ceiling she said she was hanging on with this one, anyway better check the old GS1200 when I get home tonight and hope the bracket I fitted stopped it from falling over... perhaps I should really tie it down with rope.

Feeling very tired Graham.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted April 16, 2011 10:36 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lovely projector, hate to see it become a casaulty!

Great to get your updates and best wishes to all in New Zealand.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted April 18, 2011 10:05 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Osi

Well the bracket held the projector fine, [Smile] however having breakfast the next day while sitting at the table I noticed the cracks on the walls are getting wider and longer, and after a look at the outside things are getting worse. The poor old place like so many has taken a hammering over the last 6 months. They reckon we have had almost 7000 aftershocks since the Sept 7:1, most you dont feel but plenty we do. The 6:3 Feb one was on different fault line, very close and shallow and created an underground trampoline effect on this part and the central of the city. They are checking for a third fault line at the moment they think is about a mile or so east from where we live and I have told my wife if that one lets go we have had it...as we are just to close.

Apart from the material damage the effect it has on people is very noticable, many are on edge as after a while you get conditioned that way as those constant aftershocks are unpredicable in there timing and intensity. I would like to think thats it, no more but as soon as you think that, thats when you get hit just like last Saturday evening. In the past if we get lots of small ones thats fine, but when things are quiet for a while, then thats the scary bit, because the pressure is building and when it does let go you really feel it.

Graham.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC