8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Supply and Demand? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Supply and Demand?
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted April 04, 2011 01:36 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A disclaimor at the beginning of this post ....

This question is not asked concerning a single ebayer or seller in general, it's just a question, so I am certainly not going after anyone, nor would I have a desire to ... [Smile]

The question ...

Does it ever "irk" you when you put up a desire or a want for a film on any given film forum and then, magically, out of nowhere, someone starts an auction that very day or the day after (or shortly thereafter), for the very print you have searching for?

Now, don't get me wrong, I have nothing against free enterprise and making a buck. After all, on the plus side, the item you desire has popped up on ebay, (for instance) ...

I don't claim to be anymore moral or ethical than the next person, but if I heard that there was a "want", and I can fill it, I would personally e-mail the person, letting them know I have it available and they can buy or trade for it, instead of ...

"Hey, now's my chance to get this guy to bid this up on ebay (or the auction site of your choosing) against other people!"

I think the first choice would be better, as it extends the friendship or "comrade-ship" of the film community over just making a buck.

or am I just in the dark ages?

Your opinion, ladies and gentleman?

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted April 04, 2011 01:46 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nah, doesn't bother me at all.

I've had plenty of people contact me with responses to my wants lists over the years so I can't complain.

I think you're getting a little paranoid there, Osi old chap. Not everybody who lists on ebay visits these forums and sees your want lists.
[Smile]

If you, or any other member, wanted a print that I had for sale, it would make more sense for me to contact you directly with the sale and that's what I'd do.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted April 04, 2011 02:39 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some folks feel that there are certain protections that E-bay offers that go away when you go direct.

-by the same token I've had person-to-person buys where a seller has put up a "Buy it Now" at a pre-arranged moment and I've been there to grab it as it shows up, so there are ways around that.

Among closest friends these things often happen as swaps and gifts anyway.

A friend of mine proposed a swap: three films of his for one film I had picked up recently but didn't like. I told him it was not fair to him and he said not to worry about it. Only later did I find out he was terminally ill and just wanted me to have those films.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted April 05, 2011 10:27 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hadn't thought of that angle Steve, that's a good point. However, it seems like some of that can be alleviated by simply putting delivery confirmation on a package. However, even that can backfire as I found with a package I once had coming. That becomes totally iron clad if you get the delivery conformation which requires that you sign for it.

It think it comes down to what motivates a person in general, however. Now, a person who wants to make a nice profit is not evil. I'm not saying for a moment that they are some kind of scum bags, cuz they aren't. I do think a decision like this type reveals what is the inner drive or underlining principles of the person ...

Am I there for the good of all?
Am I there for just me?

Then there are so many other factors as well, but it pretty much comes down to those two options.

It is my personal opinion, but as a member of the "Film Collecting Fraternity", I would rather work for the good of all, instead of the profit of one, fostering a reputation of being there for others instead of just being there to get what I want.

That is one of the driving principles behind "Giosi Films". We will never make our negative costs back (for, to do so, we would have to charge more for our releases just to get that back, let alone show a profit), but we will put out those titles for the collector, and just bask in the enjoyment others will get from it.

--------------------

Tony Stucchio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 05, 2011 06:04 PM      Profile for Tony Stucchio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi,

No offense intended, but chill out Dude! [Cool]
I really doubt eBay sellers are driven by your want lists.

[Smile] [Big Grin]

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted April 06, 2011 10:27 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't worry, I'm quite chilled, as well as shaken and not stirred. [Smile]

It's just a topic for thought.

Actually, after thousands of posts and topics, it can get fairly hard to come up with a topic we might not have talked about, and that thought (the topic of this post) I had thought about in the past, and I'm sure that I'm not the only person who may have thought that.

But I am calm. I have had my distemper shot (Bailey's Irish Cream), and in a very relaxed state ...

OK, you can take the straight jacket off, no, really, you can! [Wink]

--------------------

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted April 06, 2011 12:10 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Geez, there's no mystery about it. Some people like to use ebay, some don't. Some prefer to deal direct, some don't.

It has nothing to do with greed or integrity or goodwill to all collectors, or anything else so profound....

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted April 06, 2011 12:32 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ehhh, nothing profound about it ... just a question.

However, one last statement, (at least by me), it becomes obvious to anybody who too much time (like me) to do the statistics about such things, that there is a clear correlation between someone putting up a want for a film, and then it suddenly appearing for auction.

... and there's nothing really inherently wrong with that. After all, you'd like to get as much as you can for your film print, and your bound to get far more when there is a known want for it, (i.e. someone posting the want on a site), then if you just put it out there without a clear target "audience".

and now, back to the Bailey's .... ahhhh, and where's that guy with that strait jacket?! (grrrr!) [Big Grin]

--------------------

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted April 06, 2011 12:37 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
....that there is a clear correlation between someone putting up a want for a film, and then it suddenly appearing for auction.
Are you serious?
You've proved this?

quote:
Ehhh, nothing profound about it ...

Yep, that's what I said.

[ April 06, 2011, 04:47 PM: Message edited by: Michael O'Regan ]

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted April 06, 2011 02:38 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike, I think that can be the case.

This forum is watched by large number of people (although not 40% is registered). Many people from non-english speaking countries are watching this forum.

If my wanted list suddenly appear, however, I will see that as a positive so my chance to get that particular film is widening. Some seller tend to start with low price (for the sake of Ebay fees). The low starting price and low bidder might be a lucky day for me. This is what I called be a positive for me.

At least if I don't win it, I know the print does exist.

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted April 06, 2011 09:15 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree Winbert! [Wink]

Pat D

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted April 07, 2011 01:22 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, well you all seem to be in agreement, so I guess I was wrong.
My apologies, Osi.

However, I do believe that this kind of statement is amusing:
quote:
I do think a decision like this type reveals what is the inner drive or underlining principles of the person ...

Am I there for the good of all?
Am I there for just me?

Tony Stucchio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 07, 2011 05:32 PM      Profile for Tony Stucchio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi,

If a film you really want turns up on eBay just after you listed it as a "want" here on the forum -- then don't bid on it! That's a way to get back at them!

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted April 07, 2011 09:38 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Does it ever "irk" you when you put up a desire or a want for a film on any given film forum and then, magically, out of nowhere, someone starts an auction that very day or the day after (or shortly thereafter), for the very print you have searching for?
Could you give us an example of this ever occurring? [Smile]

Douglas Meltzer

- posted April 08, 2011 09:39 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I lean towards Michael and Tony's viewpoints. We take notice of a particular title appearing on eBay since we just posted about it, however we disregard the hundred other new listings! How many times have I mused "I was just thinking of Have Badge Will Chase."

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted April 08, 2011 10:24 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I could give numerous examples from the past, but many would say, "well, that's just coincidence" ... therefore ...

Just watch, you'll see it in reality and not just theory. Give it time! [Smile]

--------------------

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted April 08, 2011 10:37 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I could give numerous examples from the past, but many would say, "well, that's just coincidence" ... therefore ..
To be honest with you guys,....

If I have Grizzly Adams or Gorky Park (not faded prints), I will not put them here, because I knew exactly that it is only Osi interested with them. [Big Grin]

Through the forum, the chance is to only get Osi paying my films for certain $$ that I realized would not that big.

What I am going to do is to set up Ebay listings with a starting price at what I think my friends here are able to pay.

After setting up on Ebay, I will let the members here know about them and let them bid on my prints. If no other bidders (outside the forum) put a bid, then forum members can pay at my starting price. Otherwise let the global auction decide the final value [Cool] .

The same thing I will do for "Sleeping Wives"....if I have it. [Smile]

Those three titles I mentioned above are not my cup of tea, but I also need to raise money for buying other things.

So it is not coincidence.

I am honest so nothing is hidden on me. [Wink]

--------------------
Winbert

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted April 08, 2011 11:12 AM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I could give numerous examples from the past, but many would say, "well, that's just coincidence"
Osi, there is no counter to show how many members have viewed your want lists; therefore, this is delusional(paranoid?) not reality nor theory. [Smile]

You must remember that all Ebay sellers are not members of this forum or any other forums.

Have you ever heard of the Trading Assistant program on Ebay? Check it out. If one is acting as a Trading Assistant, he is a third party selling a collection only on Ebay per the instructions of the owner of the collection.

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted April 08, 2011 12:52 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
... but many would say, "well, that's just coincidence"
Yep...because that's just what it is.
[Smile]

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted April 08, 2011 01:02 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
haha! (concerning last post)

Dan, thanX 4 that info there.

--------------------

Tony Stucchio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 08, 2011 05:06 PM      Profile for Tony Stucchio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
People must be mind readers -- I don't post want lists but when I want something it usually shows up on eBay fairly quickly. Except for the really rare titles, you'd be surprised how many titles are available fairly regularly.

Doug,

I was thinking HAVE BADGE, WILL CHASE, too! It just irks me when someone lists it as "rare", and many do!

Chris Smith
Film Handler

- posted April 09, 2011 02:26 PM      Profile for Chris Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I ever come across a print of "Slipping Wives", Joe Caruso would have an early Christmas present.

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted April 09, 2011 02:34 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
People must be mind readers -- I don't post want lists but when I want something it usually shows up on eBay fairly quickly.
I have noticed this too. It seems to apply to many happenings in the universe. For instance; the first time I got married within days I noticed several other people were getting married. Coincidence? I don't think so. There are some ministers out there watching me just to see if I get hitched. [Big Grin]

Think about it; births, deaths, graduations, parties, bar mitzvahs, waking up. It must be a conspiracy. [Eek!]

Tony Stucchio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 09, 2011 05:03 PM      Profile for Tony Stucchio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For all you baseball fans -- ever notice how the guy who makes a great play often leads off the next inning? You know have often it happens -- about 1 in 9 times.

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted April 10, 2011 04:55 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've just added LONDON AFTER MIDNIGHT and HUMOR RISK to my want-list.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC