8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » $10,000.00 film on ebay!!!!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: $10,000.00 film on ebay!!!!
Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted July 21, 2011 04:51 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just seen this on EBay. Check this link.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Marilyn-Monroe-8mm-Film-Seductive-and-Adults-/250859482717?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a6863ee5d

|  IP: Logged

Bryan Chernick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 21, 2011 05:06 PM      Profile for Bryan Chernick   Email Bryan Chernick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Not sure of the content due to I do not have an 8mm projector."

But he knows it's worth $10,000?

He also has a Beatles white album for $250 and a full six pack of unopened Coke Bottles for $29.95. I think he's fishing for suckers.

Gerald Santana
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 21, 2011 05:06 PM      Profile for Gerald Santana   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Could it be that the seller is trying to cash in on this story with his equally bogus film. In my opinion, it does not look like her at all... Daily News article on MM 8mm film.

--------------------
http://lostandoutofprintfilms.blogspot.com/

Mark L Barton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 22, 2011 09:08 AM      Profile for Mark L Barton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is a classic example of a seller assuming that no one else is aware of 'cine' and lables it collectable, rare, etc and puts a none researched price on the item. Its the same as a seller on Ebay who has been trying for months to sell a 200' b/w silent print of The Praying Mantis for £89 ( $160) WHAT!!!! I have just replied to the thread about the new SUPER 8 film coming out and how I believe it will affect prices of kit and films by unscrupulous sellers selling to those people coming into the film hobby on the back of SUPER 8 and not knowing the relative prices.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted July 22, 2011 10:22 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now, just to irk us, watch it sell!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Panayotis A. Carayannis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 22, 2011 03:59 PM      Profile for Panayotis A. Carayannis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
munster go home 8mm full length feature film
0 Bids $2,500.00 Time left:4d 11h 43m

This one is much cheaper. Go for it !!!

Barry Fritz
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 24, 2011 08:50 AM      Profile for Barry Fritz   Email Barry Fritz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He's looking to make $10,000. You'd think he could invest $100.00 and by a projector to confirm what is on the film and the condition. Or maybe borrow a projector. Maybe we should all shoot him offers under $50. He might get the hint.

Panayotis A. Carayannis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 24, 2011 11:32 AM      Profile for Panayotis A. Carayannis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
1925 WIZARD OF OZ SUPER 8mm Film Pre-1939 Judy Garland
Expedited shipping available
Buy It Now
or Best Offer $599.95
Free shipping Time left:1d 23h 29m

This one is even cheaper! Don't miss it!!!

Chris Batt
Film Handler

- posted July 28, 2011 02:29 PM      Profile for Chris Batt   Email Chris Batt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well if that's Monroe I will eat my hat !!! ( I don't have a hat) He has had 1 offer !!! I think anyone even considering buying it needs a knock on the head [Smile]

Bryan Chernick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 28, 2011 05:42 PM      Profile for Bryan Chernick   Email Bryan Chernick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Barry, I offered him $5.00, he has 48 hours to accept. I think that is fair since the shipping is a little high.

John Capazzo
Master Film Handler

- posted August 20, 2011 09:29 AM      Profile for John Capazzo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He also shows that it's AGFA stock; which he/she probably knows nothing about (unless he sees it on a oil barge on the turnpike). If it were Mylar (which it would never be), I'd possibly offer him $35.00; and I'm not even a fan of MM.

Also, no free shipping for that amount and NO REFUNDS. NO REFUNDS (gulp)

--------------------
"the image is about 30 feet ahead of us."

Bryan Chernick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 20, 2011 12:29 PM      Profile for Bryan Chernick   Email Bryan Chernick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He declined my offer [Mad] He still only has two offers, I wonder what the other one was?

William Fleming
Master Film Handler

- posted August 20, 2011 12:44 PM      Profile for William Fleming   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have just offered $10.00 fingers crossed [Roll Eyes]

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted August 20, 2011 12:59 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Check this link out: [Eek!]

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Never-Seen-Marilyn-Monroe-8mm-footage-1954-/330601531637?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4cf96308f5

This is crazy [Big Grin]

William Fleming
Master Film Handler

- posted August 20, 2011 01:06 PM      Profile for William Fleming   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Confused]

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted August 20, 2011 08:15 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If anyone is considering bidding $60,000 or more for the 1954 8mm film you can see via Pasquale's link, it might be worth asking the seller why it's on a Super 8 reel, and the sprocket holes of the leader look like Super 8! Didn't some home movie footage of MM get released on Super 8 in the 1980?

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Raymond Glaser
Master Film Handler

- posted August 20, 2011 09:02 PM      Profile for Raymond Glaser   Email Raymond Glaser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was going to offer him $11.00 (to outbid William) but with my luck he'd accept it and I'd be stuck with a $150.00 shipping fee

John Pechulis
Film Handler

- posted August 20, 2011 09:07 PM      Profile for John Pechulis   Email John Pechulis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Check this link out:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Never-Seen-Marilyn -Monroe-8mm-footage-1954-/330601531637?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4cf96308f5

This is crazy

Something doesn't look right. Look at the photo of the guy who supposedly shot the film - does it look wierd to you? Kinda looks a bit too cut and paste for me - looks like a mediocre Photoshop shop job in my opinion.

Another thing, if the first picture is supposed to represent an actual captured frame from the film, I doubt it was taken from 8mm. 8mm does not have this kind of resolution. I believe this photo is from a still camera (35mm or more likely, large format).

I smell a scam in pretty much every listing posted.

Think of the insertion fee these sellers will have to pay!

--------------------
History frozen in the frames of film

Gerald Santana
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 20, 2011 10:04 PM      Profile for Gerald Santana   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The film may not be authentic at all, it's defiantly a scam. Did you notice one G.I. up front in the color picture with an 8mm camera? There's also the case of the film on a Super 8 reel, what is up with that? The date in question is 1954 but, Super 8 wasn't released until 1965!
Plus, there is this other auction:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/TV-Guide-Lucy-Lawle ss-Xena-Jeri-Ryan-cover-Mint-Hot-/330603350817?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4cf97ecb21

--------------------
http://lostandoutofprintfilms.blogspot.com/

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted August 21, 2011 01:10 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if he revised his description, but:

quote:
The date in question is 1954 but, Super 8 wasn't released until 1965!
The seller never say super 8mm, he says:

Rare Never Seen Marilyn Monroe 8mm footage from 1954

which means regular (standard) 8mm

quote:
if the first picture is supposed to represent an actual captured frame from the film, I doubt it was taken from 8mm.
HeE says on the description:

The color photo of MM in this listing is just a representative photo of MM in Korea and is not an actual frame from the footage I am selling.

ps: actually there is a place where we discus those crazy listings

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

John Davis
Master Film Handler

- posted August 21, 2011 07:14 AM      Profile for John Davis   Email John Davis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think if I was selling something this 'unique' I would include a couple of frame shots - unless of course the footage is poor quality or shot from so far back that MM is a dot on the horizon.
It is conceivable that a standard 8 film could be subsequently mounted onto a super 8 reel, especially if the original reel were damaged. So in isolation each oddity about this listing can be explained.
But looked at as a whole the seller seems singularly determined to not show anything to do with the actual film he is selling. He makes a big deal of the copyright - so I trust he has cleared the use of copyright of the very nice main colour picture he has used in his listing which was probably taken on a 120 camera, if the shape hasn't been cropped from the original

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted August 21, 2011 08:57 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree that screen shots are a must if someone wants a fortune for a film. A Std 8 film can end up on a S8 reel but if you look at the sprockets holes of the leader, they look too small for Std 8. I'm sure I recall Keith Wilton mentioning in the 1980s the he had bought a US import that was a Super 8 copy of home movie footage of MM, so I wouldn't rule out the possibility that the seller is offering a film that could have been bought for less than $20 in the 1980s! But he must know nothing about 8mm if he thinks Std and Super 8 look the same.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted August 21, 2011 08:59 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ive just sent the guy a question for a laugh, ive got to see what his reply is and then probably make a move to get the wanker off e bay. [Big Grin]

Mind you,, if either of these films sell to some nutter then good luck to the gyzer [Wink]

[ August 21, 2011, 11:18 AM: Message edited by: Tom Photiou ]

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC